My 1st maltese!! and I am thrilled! - Page 6 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
Seriously, no one here is trying to attack you or your beloved dog. The wonderful and loving people of this forum do passionately support ethical breeders and try to help educate people so that they will not buy dogs from Mills or BYBs, mostly because they do not want to have others experience the heartache they have experienced or witnessed and most importantly because we LOVE Maltese and we want all Maltese to be raised in the best possible situations and we do not want to support the GREED that leaves many Maltese studs and dams in terrible conditions on breeding farms while someone happily chooses a cute puppy from a website with a BUY Now button or a Petstore window.

I think you need to take a step back and realize it isn't about you when people post the warnings about Petstore/Mill/BYB puppies. It is about educating others so that folks do not continue to make the same mistake and think they got a good deal when they pay $250 for a dog.

You are right. You may never pay the price of "gloom and doom" that some of our fellow members have suffered through. I sincerely hope for the sake of your dog and yourself that you do not, but I think it is disrepectful to our loving members who have to bash them for sharing the very heartbreaking stories they have shared here in the hope of saving others from experiencing what they have gone through.

This forum is not the way you are painting it as some snobby place where everyone wants to keep up with the "joneses." Some of our favorite dogs on this forum have the most humble beginnings. We support RESCUE and Ethical breeders. We support loving owners and their dogs no matter where those dogs come from. What we do not support is BYB, Mills, Petstores or other unethical folks who do not treat our Maltese the way they should be treated and we do tend to argue with those who would defend any of those who might mistreat or misuse our beloved breed. And frankly, most of us feel that paying $1500 for a well bred Maltese is a fair price, given that you are paying to support the breeders who use the money to make sure the sires and dams are given the kind of appropriate care (including food, medicine and health checks) they deserve.

As for your desire to learn more about shampoo or food, there are tons of threads in the archives with loads of opinions on these. You can also create a new thread which specifically asks about those items since this thread has been more focused on your introduction as it is what your title reflects.

I do use spa lavish facial cleanser and sometimes natures specialties foaming facial cleanser. But my favorite way to keep faces clean is to just use some human eye wash (easily found in the eye care section of your local pharmacy, but not the contact lens cleaning solution). I use that dry the face and put some cornstarch on with a makeup brush (or toothbrush) to keep the area dry.
Thank you, Carina!

Melissa, I'm just reading your response to Pam's post now. I don't think it's productive to bash those of us who went through heartache with a mill/BYB puppy nor it is realistic to be in denial that mills and BYB's are all about greed and money no matter how cute/smart/healthy the puppies may be. I DO NOT WISH EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF HEARTACHE I WENT THROUGH UPON ANYONE!!!!

Most of us post on here with LOVE for the breed. I don't know how having a Rescue dog or one from an ethical breeder is "keeping up with Joneses." I've been on this forum for about a year and what you are saying is so far from the truth. There is lots of helpful info on this site and it DOES take a little time to understand how to navigate, use the search function to find specific topics, and read through all the subforums. I answered your inquiries as well. Please keep an open mind.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkerts2 View Post
after reading the nice comments and the enjoyment of them , I am Bam! hit with yet another gloom and doom tell tale story of the so called "BYB" Is there no happy reports of a puppy being gotten from a BYB if so PLEASE share!??? I keep waiting for the bad to happen to my little Lucy!
I raised horses and I understand what good lineage is and what to do and what not to do when it comes to a mare being thought to breed all about confirmation and genes and even colors and disposition as well as much more however I no longer am able to ride or mess with my beloved horses and sold our farm and moved to a Historical old town.
why was this important to say because I am aware of the growing issue with ill bred dogs and I am aware of the growing concern of Puppy Mills Millers BYB but for Petes Sake must we continue the gloom and doom and sad stories of these puppies I mean It is like you all but say "IF it came from a BYB or anyone less than a reputable breeder he/she is doomed and a reject and less there of and not going to make it". so sad.
I am a memebr of the ASPCA and I give plenty to rescues for horses and signed the petition for the closure of the "slaughter houses" but heavens I would like to be a part of something good and not be reminded of what may be to come.
I am sorry I bought a puppy from whom I did, but I will not pay 1500 and up for a pet when there are so many in need for half that fraction.
Learn allot??? yes what I have learned these past few days being on here is NUMBER 1 you all are agaisnt BYB and I get it. Number 2 I learned gloom and doom is ahead for my Lucy because she is a product of a BYB! Number 3 if not bought from certain breeders its a major NO NO! Last but not least Keeping up with the Jones"s is not for me, I am a simple women with simple values and I gave a heart and a wonderful home to a yes a BACK YARD BREEDER MALTESE for $250.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and guess what I am not ashamed shes mine not yours and I am sure most are saying "thanks heavens for that"!
I have enjoyed the NICE welcomes and great info and the pics but your Constant reminding of the BYB is well drove into the ground and you know who you are so please cease. many thanks to those who were kind and if I sound a bit peeved well i am, take a moment to re read the post I sent not one has commented about the food to feed or the shampoo to use its a horror story of a BYB or I didnt mean to offend but you need to know and be aware of the BYB . my posts will be limited.

Wow, you obviously don't understand what we are trying to tell you... honestly I am too angry and outraged to even respond at this point. People like you are why puppy mills and BYB exist. That is all.

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #53 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Melissa, I know at first glance you might feel it's a keeping up with the Joneses mentality around here, but I can promise you it's not. It comes from our contempt for the mistreatment of our beloved breed for the sake of producing puppies. That's it. I promise. My guy is anything but a keeping with the Joneses kind of dog and I've felt nothing but love for him from the members here. To your point on the cost of buying a maltese, I get that. When I was looking and told my husband we were looking at spending $1800 - $2200 for a puppy he goes, "why in the world would I spend that much on a dog when I can go down to the shelter and get one for free"? Good point (he's a simple guy and as far as he's concerned there are only 3 kinds of dogs: small, medium, and large). So I went through rescue because I had decided I was not going to "buy" from anything but a reputable breeder. Does that make me a saint? No way. I got lucky and found a rescue that was not to much of a "project" - just a young dog that got dumped at the pound and needed a home (although he does have a few issues from being brought up in a cage). And I have often thought about the folks who want a maltese but can't / won't spend that kind of money on one. How do they get their maltese? Well, besides rescue I don't have a good answer for you. I guess I could equate it to the fact that I'd love a Mercedes Benz but I can't have one because it's just not in my budget.

It's obvious you love Lucy, and your intentions are pure. And she will be loved and spoiled and treated well. But when I look at the video of where she came from (assuming that is the same kennel), I could never justify my puppy's parents to having to live like that just so I could get an inexpensive purebred maltese. I know that's harsh, but it's the truth. So again, I understand your feeling attacked and upset, I really do. But I hope at some point you will try to understand that there is our side of the story too because we've all seen WAY WAY too many of the mill breeders "retired" or dumped when they can't make babies anymore, and the ridiculous lengths people must go through to rehabilitate them both physically and mentally because of the inhumane conditions they had to endure their entire lives.

So to wrap it up, I can PROMISE you no one wishes you ill will, and no one will feel satisfaction if, God forbid, Lucy gets sick (which I doubt she will). And again, I promise there is not an attitude of the only worthy dogs are the ones that cost a lot of money! So I hope you'll put this behind you, what's done is done, and you'll stick around. I'd suggest starting a new thread about grooming products and other questions and I promise you'll get great answers!!

Last edited by StevieB; 01-03-2013 at 09:12 PM.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #54 (permalink)

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
Melissa, I know at first glance you might feel it's a keeping up with the Joneses mentality around here, but I can promise you it's not. It comes from our contempt for the mistreatment of our beloved breed for the sake of producing puppies. That's it. I promise. My guy is anything but a keeping with the Joneses kind of dog and I've felt nothing but love for him from the members here. To your point on the cost of buying a maltese, I get that. When I was looking and told my husband we were looking at spending $1800 - $2200 for a puppy he goes, "why in the world would I spend that much on a dog when I can go down to the shelter and get one for free"? Good point (he's a simple guy and as far as he's concerned there are only 3 kinds of dogs: small, medium, and large). So I went through rescue because I had decided I was not going to "buy" from anything but a reputable breeder. Does that make me a saint? No way. I got lucky and found a rescue that was not to much of a "project" - just a young dog that got dumped at the pound and needed a home (although he does have a few issues from being brought up in a cage). And I have often thought about the folks who want a maltese but can't / won't spend that kind of money on one. How do they get their maltese? Well, besides rescue I don't have a good answer for you. I guess I could equate it to the fact that I'd love a Mercedes Benz but I can't have one because it's just not in my budget.

It's obvious you love Lucy, and your intentions are pure. And she will be loved and spoiled and treated well. But when I look at the video of where she came from (assuming that is the same kennel), I could never justify my puppy's parents to having to live like that just so I could get an inexpensive purebred maltese. I know that's harsh, but it's the truth. So again, I understand your feeling attacked and upset, I really do. But I hope at some point you will try to understand that there is our side of the story too because we've all seen WAY WAY too many of the mill breeders "retired" or dumped when they can't make babies anymore, and the ridiculous lengths people must go through to rehabilitate them both physically and mentally because of the inhumane conditions they had to endure their entire lives.

So to wrap it up, I can PROMISE you no one wishes you ill will, and no one will feel satisfaction if, God forbid, Lucy gets sick (which I doubt she will). And again, I promise there is not an attitude of the only worthy dogs are the ones that cost a lot of money! So I hope you'll put this behind you, what's done is done, and you'll stick around. I'd suggest starting a new thread about grooming products and other questions and I promise you'll get great answers!!
I my eyes and heart I have saved her from a horrible situation and I am NOT sorry that I did! and I would do it again if I could save another life!
if it had been a rescue I would be PRAISED!!! but I was the rescuer!!!!

happy thrilled and shes awesome she loves my coffee and sherbert and her family here and shes warm dry vetted and well cared for and this little maltese girl is no longer in the perils of DOOM!
thanks
Folkerts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #55 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
I my eyes and heart I have saved her from a horrible situation and I am NOT sorry that I did! and I would do it again if I could save another life!

happy thrilled and shes awesome she loves my coffee and sherbert and her family here and shes warm dry vetted and well cared for and this little maltese girl is no longer in the perils of DOOM!
thanks
Since I do not trust myself to form a rebuttal to this nonsense with politeness and grace, I invite others who are much more respectful and well-spoken than myself to kindly respond...

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:

thanks
And to you rescuing this puppy is worth putting a lot more pups in the same horrible situation? It's not a rhetorical question. I am honestly curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #57 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:

thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Quote:

thanks

Are you serious?? What about her parents, who are in a cage, in the elements, not getting proper food or care just churning out puppies so they can be sent out too soon to people like you who keep buying them? I guess THOSE dogs that you CAN'T see don't matter to you? Well, they matter to us.

If people will stop buying the poor little darlings in the pet store, the mom and dad doggies will no longer be in these horrendous, abusive, despicable (get the picture?) places.

Honestly, for me, it's more about saving the dogs left behind at the 'greeders' than it is about health issues.

Last edited by LuvMyBoys; 01-04-2013 at 08:48 AM.
LuvMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

The only way you would have been rescuing this dog is if she would have been surrendered to a rescue organization by the "breeder" first. Then you would have had to apply to adopt her. That is how rescue works. When you "rescue" a dog from a pet store or a bad breeding situation you unwittingly become part of the problem. We aren't against you. As it has been stated, just trying to educate.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:

thanks
I would love for you to experience what real rescue feels like. I encourage you to go work with a rescue group that fosters former mill dogs. Then perhaps what we have said will make more sense.

I have fostered dogs that have come out of the mills. They have lived on wire cage floors their entire lives. They have been treated like livestock. Once you have spent time with dogs like this, I can't imagine that you would feel like a "rescuer" for giving money to buy a puppy when her parents (and some of her siblings) are left behind to continue the cycle.

Here is a link to a story that is fairly typical of what happens if one of these dogs is "lucky" enough to have a life after the mill. An Angel's Story

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement