Jaraden La Petit Mon Ami - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Anna,

If traveling will be something you and Gucci will do (even once a year)... I'd really recommend getting a carrier just for air travel.

A purse type bag is lovely for outings, but for airline travel, depending on the length of the flight, a bag specifically for traveling would be better for Gucci... IMO.

Many bags have "stays" that you can pull out that makes the bag flexible. So the 8" high requirement isn't so hard then.

I love this site: Dog Jaunt : In-cabin carriers : Traveling with a small dog

Dog Jaunt Guest Post: 5 Tips for choosing the right pet carrier

This lady travels with her Cavalier and posts reviews on carriers.... I think this is her new blog. She had an older one... but this one is updated. She even has links to where you can get things like Carrier Bungies to attach the carrier to your wheelie suitcase

As far as I know she recommends something like the Sturdi Bag for air travel... it is felxible so can be "squished" to slide under the seat, but still provides enough space for the dog, especially since airplanes are usually cold so being able to put a soft blanket in with Gucci will be helpful.

But there's even this bag for travel that will give Gucci extra space for when in the airport - if you are waiting or sitting eating - http://www.dogjaunt.com/2011/10/new-...brinkmann-pet/

My sister travels a ton with her dog...and she, too, has a separate airline bag. I gave her my old PetEgo contour bag... it is nice and cushy and when laid on it's back can be squished to fit.

But like I said... if even traveling once a year with Gucci is in the picture... buy a good travel bag. Save the purse type for when she's grown and you know for sure.

But even a Sturdi bag will comfortably fit a dog up to 15 pounds...so I don't think you'd have to worry

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Anna,

If traveling will be something you and Gucci will do (even once a year)... I'd really recommend getting a carrier just for air travel.

A purse type bag is lovely for outings, but for airline travel, depending on the length of the flight, a bag specifically for traveling would be better for Gucci... IMO.

Many bags have "stays" that you can pull out that makes the bag flexible. So the 8" high requirement isn't so hard then.

I love this site: Dog Jaunt : In-cabin carriers : Traveling with a small dog

Dog Jaunt Guest Post: 5 Tips for choosing the right pet carrier

This lady travels with her Cavalier and posts reviews on carriers.... I think this is her new blog. She had an older one... but this one is updated. She even has links to where you can get things like Carrier Bungies to attach the carrier to your wheelie suitcase

As far as I know she recommends something like the Sturdi Bag for air travel... it is felxible so can be "squished" to slide under the seat, but still provides enough space for the dog, especially since airplanes are usually cold so being able to put a soft blanket in with Gucci will be helpful.

But there's even this bag for travel that will give Gucci extra space for when in the airport - if you are waiting or sitting eating - Dog Jaunt : New in-cabin pet carrier: Smart Space by Brinkmann Pet : Traveling with a small dog

My sister travels a ton with her dog...and she, too, has a separate airline bag. I gave her my old PetEgo contour bag... it is nice and cushy and when laid on it's back can be squished to fit.

But like I said... if even traveling once a year with Gucci is in the picture... buy a good travel bag. Save the purse type for when she's grown and you know for sure.

But even a Sturdi bag will comfortably fit a dog up to 15 pounds...so I don't think you'd have to worry
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I found some that are the right size, but of course, I want it to be pink and girly
I will have to take a look at the blog because I really am more concerned with her being comfortable. I don't know how much I will be flying in the NEAR future, but I'm sure with her being just a puppy, I have MANY years of flying ahead of me.
Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I found some that are the right size, but of course, I want it to be pink and girly
I will have to take a look at the blog because I really am more concerned with her being comfortable. I don't know how much I will be flying in the NEAR future, but I'm sure with her being just a puppy, I have MANY years of flying ahead of me.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

One last piece of advice about a travel bag..... You do not want pink and girly LOL You don't want a bag that screams LOOK AT ME!

They will know you have a dog, but to be honest the less attention you draw to you and Gucci in the airport and airplane the better.

Black or another dark colored bag is often best

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
One last piece of advice about a travel bag..... You do not want pink and girly LOL You don't want a bag that screams LOOK AT ME!

They will know you have a dog, but to be honest the less attention you draw to you and Gucci in the airport and airplane the better.

Black or another dark colored bag is often best
Awwwww....you just ruined all my fun Hehe
That IS true though, I probably should stick with a plain color so I don't draw attention to her.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I so want one of these:
Pet Flys Dog Carrier Snuggle Bug

the price of the bags though.... whew....

It's on my wishlist but I'm cheap, I don't normally spend $30 on a purse for myself.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
I have that bag for Gustave and while we loved it I stopped using it for two reasons-

1. I'm not very fond of handbags in general.

2. Gustave is a curious little fool who wanted to rest his head on the side of the bag and also stretch his neck to see EVERYTHING. This meant he was choking all the time coz the edges of the bag have no padding. I successfully wrapped a blanket around the edge for this issue but eventually just gave up on the whole handbag thing.

Yes, it is pretty narrow, but enough for Gustave. He's 6.5lbs. Thinking about it now, we might want to sell it. It's only been used 5-6 times. It's a white one.

Attachment 106177

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

If you are interested in selling your bag at any point, let me know because I may be interested!!!
Advertisement