How I almost got a mill puppy - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
. Looking into your sweet spoiled dog's face knowing its parents are living outside in a cage in their own excrement, eating crappy food, never receiving loving kindness from humans and never being seen by a vet. !
It just breaks my heart to think of these mommy and daddy dogs. This is why I try to spread the word about buying from puppy mills. My own BROTHER bought a "designer" dog off the internet. He loves his dog to death, but I keep thinking about that poor little miniature poodle being INSEMINATED with Golden Retriever sperm to produce puppies to be sold over the internet. I was so damned furious with my brother. His excuse was he wanted a "small dog with a big dog temperament." Phooey.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Thank you, Aastha for sharing you story! I just WISH I had known prior to getting my BYB maltipoo before Obi. I hope people understand that it's about doing what is right in the BIG PICTURE for these dogs.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

We bought our Yorkie about 12-13 years ago from a Petland and we were so lucky that he didn't have worse health problems than he already did...

I soon realized our mistake... took my parents longer to realize it too. I feel like it is pretty common knowledge now not to shop at pet stores, but buying from "greeders" and the internet... people are either ignorant or in complete denial and don't want to know what they are funding.

People are even convinced their breeder is reputable... very few people know (except the veterans on this forum) that reputable breeders will not cross breed... all these poodle mixed "designer breed" owners would not want to know that their breeder isn't "reputable"... I wish people would actually listen instead of stick their heads in the sand.. sadly, I am pretty sure all my Facebook friends have already pegged me as the crazy dog lady..

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
sadly, I am pretty sure all my Facebook friends have already pegged me as the crazy dog lady..
Hehe!!! Same here! My husband told me I had to knock it off with all the dog posts because I was just being annoying. Sigh.

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Thank you for sharing your story!

And, Celeta, I'm already know as the crazy dog lady -and I wear that title with pride!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Thank you for sharing your story i know it couldn't have been easy to do. I can't imagine the heartache you felt walking away from not one puppy but two. Hopefully this post will come up in internet searches and will make future potential puppy owners to stop and think before buying.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

Thanks for sharing this story! Something similar happened to me.
A few months ago I had no clue what was SM, and I REALLY wanted a Maltese. I didn't know anything about puppymills. For months I saw sooo many Maltese puppies here in Panama but I didn't like any of them because their parents didn't look purebred. They were all BYB, and I knew I didn't want some dog who didn't even have their papers. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but that was my guarantee it was a PURE Maltese! I almost got this one puppy who was soooo cute and she looked like a Maltese but didn't have a pedigree. In spite of that, I almost got her because she was just sooo cute, but after holding her for a while I realize she was COVERED in ticks so I didn't get her. She obviously wasn't healthy and I couldn't risk her infesting my house and Dolce. The BYB told me that was common on all dogs and blablabla but I knew it wasn't since Dolce has been with me for 5 years and has never had ticks THANK GOD. It showed how irresponsible they were as supposed "breeders". Anyways I gave up on dogs in Panama so my sister who lives in Venezuela found a show breeder where I got Kelly from. Then I found SM and realized how lucky I am to not have chosen that cute BYB puppy that had ticks. Ew.

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Chelsea and Summer

I admire you for being able to walk away, twice. That's a hard thing to do. (I'm one of those who can't go near pet shops or even rescues etc as I'd want to take them all home as I hate seeing them like that as well as what I know about mills!)

My older girl Chelsea is from an older couple who had two Maltese that decided to have puppies. She was one of two girls in the litter. She is 14. And back then you either bought a dog from a pet shop (which I refused to because o hated them being in glass cages!) or from the classified ads. Where you go to the house of the owners etc..... Chelsea's mum and dad were beautiful dogs (no where near show material) and the puppies were clean, healthy and happy. I was very lucky with Chelsea - she has been very healthy most of her life with only the lymphoma scare and recent pyometra. But I realise I have been very very very lucky!! and this is no way the norm.
The recent years of designer breeds, especially the Maltese/Shih tzu combo (which is such a popular greeder mix in Aus) put me off purchasing from 'any mum and dad' breeders. I knew I wanted another pure maltese and knew the only way to go was to find a reputable breeder. Who has been fantastic and is a wealth of knowledge and loves her dogs and the breed to no end, and I would recommend in a heartbeat.
(All her dogs are CH titled)

The more people that tell their story the more people will see it when they research about buying a puppy. And soon they will realise we aren't being snobby (we love all dogs), that there is a pattern, there is a reason, and we have been there.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

To be honest I got really, REALLY lucky that my husband wasn't here and I hadn't brought either of those puppies home. Had I done that, there's no way I could've returned them.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
To be honest I got really, REALLY lucky that my husband wasn't here and I hadn't brought either of those puppies home. Had I done that, there's no way I could've returned them.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Well then it was DIVINE INTERVENTION and that's why your husband wasn't home at the time.