Do You Ever Think About The Unthinkable? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Do You Ever Think About The Unthinkable?

I have a fear that I just can't get past. I have prayed about it and tried to put it out of my mind but this honestly keeps me awake at night.

I am so afraid that our house will catch on fire in the middle of the night or while we are gone and I will not be able to save my fur angels--all 8 of them. I have planned in my head that if it happens at night, since they sleep with us, I can gather up the bedspread by the corners and open the window by the bed and drop them out. Its about 3 feet to the ground. During the day, I unplug everything I can..don't leave my Scentsy's on, turn all the lights off and make sure that I don't leave any cords laying down that could short out. All the plug ins are in good shape--I think--as safe as I can possibly make it. I have even turned around and come back home to make sure that I unplugged everything. As I shut the door every time I go out, I pray--Lord, please watch over my babies and keep them safe.

I have talked to the hubby and of course, he thinks that I am being irrational. Maybe so, but I love my babies with all my heart and I don't think I could live through losing them--especially like that.

Do you ever think about this? I wish I didn't every day..Any words of wisdom that will help me? Will be greatly appreciated.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

My mom said when you let your kids out of your sight it's like sending pieces of your heart out in the world without any control on what happens to those pieces out there. All you can do it know there is more good than evil in this world, and more good than bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

I don't think it's irrational, we worry if we leave them home alone while uptown so we unplug things. We don't leave them alone in the car for fear they'll be stolen... We worry a burglar could use them as hostages if we have a break in...we worry if we travel and get into an accident ,what will happen to them...
You name it, we worry...
Always best to prepare. We live on the first floor,so if we had a fire,I'd be knocking out the screen and getting them out first...
When we had an outdoor kennel years ago,if we had storms,I'd bring them all inside... Now we have all dogs inside all the time...
We double check doors to make sure they're locked and latched...when we leave, we look in the window to make sure all five are in the house,to make sure one didn't slip out...
When I lived in Florida,I had a "bug out kit" so if we had to bug out due to brush fires , or hurricanes, we were ready. We have a tornado kit now in Ohio. If it gets bad,we're in the center most room. We have emergency supplies if we would have a power outage...
Can't be too careful,it's up to us to protect our little ones...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
My mom said when you let your kids out of your sight it's like sending pieces of your heart out in the world without any control on what happens to those pieces out there. All you can do it know there is more good than evil in this world, and more good than bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ya know, I know in my heart that there is more good than evil in this world that we all call home. But sometimes, when evil is all we see, read and hear, sometimes the good gets pushed out of focus. Sometimes I just want to hide with my family in our home and pretend that the world does not exist outside my front door. Then I start to think that maybe--just maybe I can do a little bit of good and then I realize that the world is really not so bad--just has a lot of really bad people in it.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I have similar fears, but they include all the other possibilities such as coyote or hawk or dog attacks or people breaking into my home while we are at work and hurting/stealing/killing my babies I also worry about a fire but probably not as much as I should... :-/

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

We actually had a fire in our Michigan home many years ago. Nobody was home except for our two dogs. Forunately, our neighbors knew we had dogs and ran in and got them. One thing I do now is to post a sticker on my window that notifies the firemen that we have a dog inside. I got it from ASPCA. So many things to worry about. But you can only do what you can do. In fact, reading this post just made me decide to get a bigger sign. One of my neighbors has a sign about 12"x12" in her window that says "dog on premises." More obvious than the sticker I have...
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Glenda
Dog's Name: Madison, Axel and Paxton
Send a message via AIM to Madison's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLucy View Post
We actually had a fire in our Michigan home many years ago. Nobody was home except for our two dogs. Forunately, our neighbors knew we had dogs and ran in and got them. One thing I do now is to post a sticker on my window that notifies the firemen that we have a dog inside. I got it from ASPCA. So many things to worry about. But you can only do what you can do. In fact, reading this post just made me decide to get a bigger sign. One of my neighbors has a sign about 12"x12" in her window that says "dog on premises." More obvious than the sticker I have...
This is a great idea. I'm going to do that although one of us is almost always home with ours.

We are planning to buy a motor home so it's easier to travel with our trio. But then I worry that if we leave them in the motorhome someone will steal them, or what if there's a fire. I was the same with my kids. I'm a professional worrier!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Worrying can be positive IF it helps us take protective actions! Anxiety is quite another thing and I think would stem from somewhere deeper in the psyche. It might be worthwhile to talk w/a professional counselor who may shed some light on why you feel so anxious and give some practical tips on how to work w/that fear.
We all have fears and it takes courage to face them, embrace them and move forward. Sending you a big hug.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I'm the exact way...........
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I don't really worry, or should I say, dwell on things that could go wrong. If I did, I might not leave my house. But it's good to take some precautions. On Christmas night we were eating at a friend's house and he's a volunteer fireman. He got a call at 5:30pm to a blaze. I heard there was no one at home but all I could think of was, "I hope they didn't have any pets" because we went by the house and it was engulfed. They had had a dog but the dog had died last year so no pets at home.
My groomer has a sign on her door about a dog being in the house. I think I might try to find one. Also all us humans are supposed to have "go bags" and there are websites that have info on go bags for pets. Here's one our city has: OEM - Get Prepared - Pets. Good to have stuff in a backpack for an emergency esp. meds. All my neighbors also know that I have a dog and I know all the pets on my floor in my co-op buiding, both dogs and cats so we watch out for one another.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement