My biggest scare yet.... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default My biggest scare yet....

As many of you know, Gucci is my first pet. I am still learning the training steps and really, learning how they behave, etc. I'm sharing this story more as a lesson I had to learn in the hopes that it may help someone else who is new to puppies.
When I first got her, I would bring her outside (with no leash) and she'd pretty much stay right in front of me, do her business, and want to go back inside, Of course, as time went on, she became braver. She's do zoomies around the yard and would basically run from me. So, I decided to start putting her on a leash to go potty out front. I would let her RUN in the back yard where I knew it was safe.
Anyway, last night, I went to the store and brought Gucci with me. When we got back, I knew she had to go potty, so I put her down in the front yard to go. She did pee-pee and started to run around the yard a bit, which I expected. Except THIS time, she ran into the neighbors yard. This was something she had NEVER done. She always seemed to KNOW our property line and never left it. I kept calling her to come back and she didn't. Then she went to the SECOND house down...I started running for her and since it was dark, I actually lost sight of her. I heard her barking while I was running and also her the second neighbors PIT PULL barking. I know that the pit is friendlier than most, but as aggressive as Gucci was being, the Pit may not have tolerated her so well. The PB was in her back yard, but I didn't know how far Gucci was willing to go. I finally got to her and she tried to run, but I snatched her.
This was about 10 seconds, but it took about 10 years off my life. I have never been so freaked out. I really need to teach Gucci to "come" and FAST, but even when that happens, she will NOT be anywhere without being on a leash. I got really lucky, but it was a REALLY scary lesson.
These babies are definitely brave and VERY strong minded, so you really have to be SO careful. I know *I* will be from now on!!!
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I know that scared feeling! My Yorkie would sometimes dart out the door when we went to answer it. I learned NOT to run after him, but to grab a bag of treats or something to shake while calling him. If I ran after him, he saw that as a game of tag. Sometimes, just stopping and calling his name was enough to get him to come back on his own or close enough to where I could slowly walk up on him and grab him. When I purposely let him out front, it was either in my arms or on a leash.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

That's scary!

Our trainer said you have better chances of the pup listening if you act all goofy by waving your arms, making weird sounds etc., and run in the opposite direction. I haven't had to do this yet. But when Gustave is off leash at home and we're playing, he always runs away if I run towards him, but he runs to me if I run away from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ya know, normally the bag of treats works...and so does running in the opposite direction. But when she is barking at another dog, there is NO distracting her. She's crazy about it. I really need to get her into training and SOON because I don't want her to be crazy like that all the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

If you don't have a fenced yard, please keep your baby on a leash. We've had members lose fluffs in the past, and have no idea what ever happened to their precious baby, because they were off leash.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
If you don't have a fenced yard, please keep your baby on a leash. We've had members lose fluffs in the past, and have no idea what ever happened to their precious baby, because they were off leash.
I certainly learned THAT lesson the hard way. Actually, the hard way would be something bad happening...I just gained 300 grey hairs, but Gucci was fine, thank God!!
She'll be in the back yard from now on!!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Other than keeping her on a leash outside to keep her from running off or being harmed by another dog, another reason is to keep her from being snatched up by a hawk or owl. Plus, if she gets far enough where you can't see her, you never know if someone else might snatch her up and keep her. I would always just keep her on a leash just to be safe. While training helps, I wouldn't place 100% of my trust in it. She is still a puppy and just like the best behaved young child, you never really know when they're going to do something they shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

My little angel used to be so good off leash since he never wanted to leave my side, so I'd usually let him follow me to the mailbox and stuff like that. Until he discovered the wild bunnies that live in our bushes, now he's obsessed with chasing them! So his privileges have been revoked!!! I agree, it's definitely best to keep them on leash in the front yard!

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

So glad to hear this was a "happy ending!" We are sometimes blessed in a way that leaves a good lesson!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

How scary! No matter how trained a dog is.... the dog should NEVER be unleashed in the front yard. They are dogs and not robots-- even the ONE time they run off could be their last. There could be a car, other dog, coyote, hawk, etc that can endanger them.

Puppies are generally sweet and obedient and follow directions and the older they get, the more independent teenagers they become. I never trust my dog off-leash except in my fenced backyard- too much could happen quickly.

I'm SO relieved that Gucci is safe! I agree- that would have given me a heart attack!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement