What kind of dog does your Maltese remind you of? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gigi
Dog's Name: Lily, Audrey & Storm(y)
Default What kind of dog does your Maltese remind you of?

I know this seems like a funny question. It seems to me that the typical Maltese seems more like a human than a pup. The typical thinking is that they are a little prissy. My Lily is like that, a perfect Malt though I believe she has some Havanese in her. When she has to touch wet grass she holds her paw up and looks at us like saying "Really? Must I?". Not to say she is a frail little thing, oh no, she can play with the big dogs, she body checks like a football player. That's my girl!
However, my Audrey has always reminded us, as the southern hubs says, of "a hound dog", LOL. My little 6 pounder isn't afraid of anything, she walks right into the ocean, lake, barks at dogs that could make an appetizer of her, chases and wants the "little critters" SO bad it cracks us up. She even points and bays, yup, she actually bays, like a miniature, albino bloodhound, LOL. I swear we could take her hunting if we were into that kind of thing.
Now our precious little Stormy, she does not wag her tail like a Maltese. You know, that little, quick, back and forth wag that doesn't have much radius to it. Oh no, our little Stormy reminds us of a lab with her wag. Her tail goes completely back and forth, and her butt with it, LOL. It is so funny to see her try to walk when she is wagging furiously like that! She also reminds us of a bunny rabbit. She has this way of rearing slightly back when sitting and then taking off that looks like a rabbit taking off. And from the back when she is running away her butt looks like a cottontail's butt. The hubs also calls her "kittypuppy" because she likes to play by rolling on her back, mouthing your hand and kicking/bucking her hind legs up to your hand. It is weird, not being a cat person myself I'll have to take his word for it.

Anyways, just stream of consciousness typing.

Stay warm, my friends! It has been FREEZING in Southern Cali lately. Not used to this, my thin Cali blood can't take it. I was warmer when I was in Scotland last year for Christmas, LOL

THREE RESCUED ANGELS
gopotsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Hi, GiGi ..it's been awhile. I am freezing to death in northern CA. But it is warming up a little today, and is supposed to keep warming.

MiMi has some of the traits of all three of yours. She is prissy and comfort loving. She doesn't even like to put her delicate little paws on grass. But, she is also fearless. Quite often she hops like a bunny, which makes me laugh. I suspect that she thinks she looks like me...um human. She loves humans, but wants nothing to do with other dogs. She has a few friends who she gets alone with, and her brother and old Auntie Ru are okay, but she would much rather play chase with me than with Ray.

However, for all her aristocratic ways, she is a little piglet. She would do anything for a morsel, and doesn't give a fig for staying trim.

She is exactly what I expected of and wanted in a Maltese.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Oh I loved your descriptions lol! Bella is a 1 1/2 now and her personality is really starting to come through. Her tail doesn't wag too much, but just enough to knot the fur in that area on the back . She is my little guard dog...my protector of all things great and small. She LOVES company and I often think she'd leave me for anyone with kids. She absolutely goes crazy with joy when my nephews visit. She's not a big snuggler with me, but she'll sleep on her Daddy's chest all night if we let her (the stinker!). Oh and she's not too prissy about the wet grass, but maybe just a bit .

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

We call Grace "Kitty".... Even the vet says she is more cat than dog LOL

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

Mia acts like a little baby goat....she will jump at Winston, our cat, and head butts him...its hysterical and he doesn't know what to make of it..He looks at me like "what in the world is it doing now?" When she jumps its a stiff legged jump...just like a little goat.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

All I can say is, it's a good thing Ava and Mona Lisa aren't pit bulls!!! Because all our construction workers would have been mauled to death!!!!

Tinker is kind of the same, but if he has a toy in his mouth - they are safe....

Abbey is in charge and quite the barker...but there's no bite to her bark...she's a kisser...and demands a proper "hello" directed just to her.

Archie is the only good one in the bunch, doesn't bark or bite or lick you to death. He's a friend to all who come in....but not overly interested....he'd rather be out on a walk. (shhhh...don't repeat that or I'll have to do it right now!!!

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Lady had the "typical" prissy, girly, diva personality. Lady loved to be dressed up, ride in her stroller and be pampered.

I grew up with Setters (English and Irish) and Bailey reminds me one one of our most memorable, crazy Irish Setters. Bailey is over the top friendly like Patrick was and never met a stranger. He will follow any guest to the bathroom even if he if just met them five minutes ago. I call him the Kissing Bandit as he will kiss anyone who lets them and not stop until they can't take it anymore. He bounces up and down like he is on springs with excitement when he sees people. He ADORES children to the point of obsession. He probably should be on the predator list to stay off playgrounds. He loves to go on trail walks, woods walks, etc. Bailey has tons of energy, "wide open" most of time (as they say in the South).

He sure broke the stereotype about Maltese!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwyant1946 View Post
Mia acts like a little baby goat....she will jump at Winston, our cat, and head butts him...its hysterical and he doesn't know what to make of it..He looks at me like "what in the world is it doing now?" When she jumps its a stiff legged jump...just like a little goat.
LOVE this! I can just see it. You MUST video it and post it. Head butts? Really, LOL! And I can just see Winston saying "it". Reminds me of Smegal. "we eats it whole!", I loved that line in The Hobbit movie.

THREE RESCUED ANGELS
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Lady had the "typical" prissy, girly, diva personality. Lady loved to be dressed up, ride in her stroller and be pampered.

I grew up with Setters (English and Irish) and Bailey reminds me one one of our most memorable, crazy Irish Setters. Bailey is over the top friendly like Patrick was and never met a stranger. He will follow any guest to the bathroom even if he if just met them five minutes ago. I call him the Kissing Bandit as he will kiss anyone who lets them and not stop until they can't take it anymore. He bounces up and down like he is on springs with excitement when he sees people. He ADORES children to the point of obsession. He probably should be on the predator list to stay off playgrounds. He loves to go on trail walks, woods walks, etc. Bailey has tons of energy, "wide open" most of time (as they say in the South).

He sure broke the stereotype about Maltese!

That's hilarious, Marj! Hmmm, "wide open", that is a new one. The hubs is from North "Kakalaki" (sp?) as he says. His accent has softened but his mum, whom we moved here a few years ago, has an accent so thick people don't know what she is saying, LOL. I remember when she said to her cat "oh, you are so sweet I could eat you with a spoon!". I almost choked, LOL! Weird but funny!

THREE RESCUED ANGELS
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopotsgo View Post
That's hilarious, Marj! Hmmm, "wide open", that is a new one. The hubs is from North "Kakalaki" (sp?) as he says. His accent has softened but his mum, whom we moved here a few years ago, has an accent so thick people don't know what she is saying, LOL. I remember when she said to her cat "oh, you are so sweet I could eat you with a spoon!". I almost choked, LOL! Weird but funny!
I had to look it up myself when everyone kept telling me Bailey was "wide open".

-"wide open" = full of energy, hyperactive. "That child is goin' wide open."
Read more at How to Speak Southern Like a Southerner - InfoBarrel

I've lived in North Carolina for almost 20 years, but will never be a Southerner!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement