Coyote in the yard - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: Rocky

I had one in my backyard about five years ago..it climbed the six foot wall. I watched him come in...it was before we got our Rocky. Please be careful. I always go out first and check, Rocky knows to sit still till I tell him it is ok.

Rocky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

It might have been bobcat screaming which is one of their most common vocalizations. Hearing them can make your blood turn cold. Winter is breeding season for bobcat and they scream more often during breeding season.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Coyote in the yard

Oooh, all these stories make me even more glad I've potty pad trained Leila! How scary! I know we have foxes around here. I've seen a few over the years and one in our backyard. I've also heard weird screams at night when sitting on the deck and thought it was cats fighting or something but my husband had told me it was probably something else (I can't remember what he said, but it was wild). I'm also scared of the hawks and owls for Leila I've seen fly to the trees behind our backyard. I've heard horror stories about those too! I even found a hawk sitting outside our front door on the porch rail one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Just last week, I was talking to my vet about hawks and owls. He said one time he was in his yard moving his lawn whirl-a-gig sprinkler by dragging the hose. All of a sudden an owl shot out of a tree in his yard, hit the sprinkler with his feet, and then flew off, all with him standing only 10 feet away! It must have been a near-sighted owl who thought the sprinkler was some kind of prey. But what amazed me was that it happened in broad daylight with him right there.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Coyote in the yard

I bet that owl thought the hose was a snake. A friend gave her granddaughter a baby chick for Easter one year and the chick would follow the little toddler everywhere. All three were walking together on the driveway one day and a hawk swooped down and then flew away with the chick with them right there. The toddler pointed and said, "baby gone!" And the grandmother, trying to contain her horror in front on the child just told her that was Baby's mother and she had come back to take it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Coyotes are in almost every state, with maybe one exception Hawaii. Tehy're fast adn not scared of humans... Early Feb is mating season so coyotes are more aggressive taking out dogs as preceieved competition and food. in March the females are welping so dogs and cats are then food!
Even on a leash,they're not entirely safe, ask a few rich ladies in Naples Florida on Peilcan Point an upscale golf community,$11,000 a year membership and coyotes....
They're in cities too....not just the boonies...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie & Lisa "Left Eye"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
There have been two mornings in the past two weeks where I heard horrible animal screams when I went out to get the newspaper. I'm assuming it was a coyote attacking something, but I won't go outside in the dark with the girls unless I am carrying them.
I heard weird screeching sounds one night, but hoped that it wasn't what I thought it was...

I am constantly nervous when I take Ozzie and Lisa outside... I have them on leashes but I have heard horror stories... I usually keep them close to me, so I would hope a coyote would not try something with me standing there. But I worry when my bf takes them out without me, as I don't know if he is as paranoid about coyotes as I am...

Wish I had a fenced-in yard at least! We live in a condo association in the woods and have seen coyotes in broad daylight

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Thank you all for your input and feedback, some of this I didn't know. Makes me wish even more that I had potty pad trained.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Oh they will come very close!! Several years ago...after dark and potty-time! I believe it was Missy .... I had on leash. As soon as we hit the grass she stopped got in 'stiff' stance and started to growl at the nearby storage shed. I looked over and there was a coyote staring at us! I picked her up and yelled at it to 'GET!!!" .. it only took step closer , and growled at me! Scared the bejeebers out of me.
I walked backward toward hose and put Missy inside and secured... but didn't want the 'beast' to think it scared "me' off. Hubby was not at home.I went back out on porch... looked and it still was there...staring at me.
I did a sudden run toward it, screaming and flaling my arms as I ran. It then DID run off! ( I wasn't planning to run too CLOSE!..LOL and did leave the door ajar for a quick retreat! ).

We have all kinds of wildlife around.. lots of coyotes.. and had first sighting of Bobcat this year but only the once. I am VERY cautious when going out especially after dark. We have a big spotlight that goes on as you open the door to go out and I even use a flashlight to check for 'eyes' that might be just beyond the lighted area.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

I have a fenced in yard and I never have seen any coyote or any other dangerous animals. Do you think it is necessary to go outside with Jasmine at night? Jasmine likes waking me up to go outside at night.

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement