Coyote in the yard - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntdelay View Post
I have a fenced in yard and I never have seen any coyote or any other dangerous animals. Do you think it is necessary to go outside with Jasmine at night? Jasmine likes waking me up to go outside at night.
I would definitely keep an eye on her, but the safest bet is to go outside with her. I have heard of coyotes climbing 6' fences... at my parents' house we used to let our Yorkie out and watch him from inside the screened-in porch, but when my fluffs are over, I go outside with them, usually on-leash just in case... though I need to remind my parents to keep them on-leash as they don't always do that and then can't get Lisa back in

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidto2Maltese View Post
Oh they will come very close!! Several years ago...after dark and potty-time! I believe it was Missy .... I had on leash. As soon as we hit the grass she stopped got in 'stiff' stance and started to growl at the nearby storage shed. I looked over and there was a coyote staring at us! I picked her up and yelled at it to 'GET!!!" .. it only took step closer , and growled at me! Scared the bejeebers out of me.
I walked backward toward hose and put Missy inside and secured... but didn't want the 'beast' to think it scared "me' off. Hubby was not at home.I went back out on porch... looked and it still was there...staring at me.
I did a sudden run toward it, screaming and flaling my arms as I ran. It then DID run off! ( I wasn't planning to run too CLOSE!..LOL and did leave the door ajar for a quick retreat! ).

We have all kinds of wildlife around.. lots of coyotes.. and had first sighting of Bobcat this year but only the once. I am VERY cautious when going out especially after dark. We have a big spotlight that goes on as you open the door to go out and I even use a flashlight to check for 'eyes' that might be just beyond the lighted area.

Terry, that was a dangerous coyote. It had lost it's fear of humans and there is nothing more dangerous than wildlife that has no respect for humans. Hopefully it has gone off somewhere and died by now. It needed to be removed from the population.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntdelay View Post
I have a fenced in yard and I never have seen any coyote or any other dangerous animals. Do you think it is necessary to go outside with Jasmine at night? Jasmine likes waking me up to go outside at night.
I would stay with her. In Illinois, the coyotes are in the suburbs and even in the cities. They've found coyotes and mountain lions in Chicago. And where you are isn't too terribly far from where there was recently a confirmed Sighting of a mountain lion.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Had The Bear-Racoons coming soon and oh i forgot the snakes--Oh Ya Quite A Few In Summer. Scarey stories Tonight. Iam a big chicken of the dark--oh no you wont catch me out there in these woods.
Iam Glad Yogi Will Use His Potty inside.

Yogi Said Mom Stop Talkin About it iam Scared*****NickeeIn Pa*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
I would stay with her. In Illinois, the coyotes are in the suburbs and even in the cities. They've found coyotes and mountain lions in Chicago. And where you are isn't too terribly far from where there was recently a confirmed Sighting of a mountain lion.
Even coyotes at Wrigley Field ..

Wild coyotes 'kind of chilling' by Wrigley Field

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement