Pet insurance - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart Pet insurance

What company is recommended? All the vets I've contacted don't file the insurance...they want you to pay up front and file your own claim. What happens if something is costly and I don't have the money upfront?? What good does her insurance do if I can't pay an exboritant fee up front?
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I have a credit card with a very high limit that I only use for $5-$10/month. That's reserved for Gustave emergencies and I hope I never have to use it.

I use Healthy Paws. A lot of people here use PetPlan. Healthy Paws is a new insurance company but I like they have no limit on maximum amount they will pay every year.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Pet insurance

Now that Leila's gotten her microchip, I want to get insurance too. I was going to get it earlier but found it's cheaper if they're chipped. I hadn't thought about the vets not accepting and wanting money up front. That's a good thing to know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

I don't know if the vet would give you the receipt showing that you paid (let you pay your deductible) even though you haven't yet...and send it in and get reimbursed and give the vet the check...

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

Healthy Paws is really reasonable too.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

My Vet is CASH ONLY!!!!
I Never Even thought about insurance-???
Well this a subject i better get right on
To Be Honest-I didnt Know There Was Such a thing.
I Could really use it.
Ill Watch the following posts-to learn something thank you for the question Nickee&Yogi in Pa*
Mom Can Check on this,Iam Resting*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Heart

But, I wish I could find a vet that files it...but I guess they don't exist. So, you have to come up with the money and then get reimbursed....ugh!!! That isn't too bad if the upfront costs aren't a second mortgage on the house....but if its a fortune, I'd be in trouble and I don't think I'm the only one who would be.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I have VPI pet insurance through work, because I get a discount. The best pet insurance I have seen is Petplan, if I didn't have VIP, I would have petplan. I don't believe there is any pet insurance out there that you do not have to pay upfront for.

There is care credit, Pet Credit Card - Veterinary Payment Options | CareCredit™ which I don't know much about but I believe it is a credit card dedicated to medical care for pets. You can also start small by building credit with a small credit card of your own. I have one that like someone previously mentioned, I keep a small auto pay on every month.

If credit cards aren't for you, then maybe start a savings account? Either way, when something big happens, you'll need something to put up front, then the insurance will reimburse you later.

For me, pet insurance is mostly for something big, someone breaks a leg, gets attacked by a bigger dog, gets hit by a car ( and somehow survives) I sit on them... who knows... it's there for an emergency because I am not willing to put my animals to sleep for a $5000 vet bill.

It's a matter of what you are willing to spend to save them. For some people that's too much-and that's not necissarily wrong, it's just up to your own situation.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I have PetPlan and yes you have to pay upfront and then you're reimbursed. But you're reimbursed as per what you really paid, not a nominal amount that many human insurance companies deem for certain procedures. I found that few things that Tyler had done in a couple of years -- the money I got back exceeded the cost of the insurance each year. Our plan is for injuries and illness; not well care which is usually not that expensive. PetPlan has been quite quick paying and there are various plans with various deductibles/co-pays. My neighbor just was praising her insurance after a bad UTI in her dog racked up $660 and the dog just hurt herself falling off the couch. I personally would never go without insurance since I never want to feel I won't get something done for Tyler because I don't have the money. I put my charges on my credit card so that gives me a month during which I'll usually get my reimbursement.
I can't believe a vet asks for cash only!! Time to find another vet. That's insane since charges for things like ex-rays are very costly. I guess it's easier bookkeeping for them but really, who carries hundreds of dollars on them going to the vet?

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I have PetPlan and yes you have to pay upfront and then you're reimbursed. But you're reimbursed as per what you really paid, not a nominal amount that many human insurance companies deem for certain procedures. I found that few things that Tyler had done in a couple of years -- the money I got back exceeded the cost of the insurance each year. Our plan is for injuries and illness; not well care which is usually not that expensive. PetPlan has been quite quick paying and there are various plans with various deductibles/co-pays. My neighbor just was praising her insurance after a bad UTI in her dog racked up $660 and the dog just hurt herself falling off the couch. I personally would never go without insurance since I never want to feel I won't get something done for Tyler because I don't have the money. I put my charges on my credit card so that gives me a month during which I'll usually get my reimbursement.
I can't believe a vet asks for cash only!! Time to find another vet. That's insane since charges for things like ex-rays are very costly. I guess it's easier bookkeeping for them but really, who carries hundreds of dollars on them going to the vet?
Totally don't mean to hijak off the subject but good vets are so hard to find! My vet, took an xray of Tucker's jaw when he had the surgery (to remove his puppy teeth) to make sure there weren't any teeth in the gums anywhere and didn't even charge us for it ! I now bring them cookies and sweets every time we visit. He does stuff like this all the time.

To me, that shows that he loves what he does and he wants to make sure it's done right-even though, I would have gladly paid for the radiograph.