Big dilemma, please help with opinions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default Big dilemma, please help with opinions

A little back story - Husband and I eloped and got married on a whim one weekend (we drove to Vegas). Not that much of a whim though, I've known him for 12 yrs and were engaged, planning to get married this year anyway. Now, our very traditional Indian parents are not very happy about this. They want us to still do a big Indian wedding sometime this year. It is just something we have to do if we want to stay a part of family. And honestly, I want to do it. We still have school friends, college friends there and we would love to celebrate with our family and friends.

What do we do about Gustave though? I don't know if I should take him with me or let him stay here. Here's my list of cons for both options, please please let me know what your opinion is. I am so confused.

If we take him with us to India
1. How will he fly? There are no direct flights. I could fly direct from NYC, that would be an 18hrs flight. Where would he potty? In the crate? Poor baby. How about food? Has anyone done this? And what if we can't fly from NYC? It will be a connecting flight then. What if they lose him in the transfer? Won't he be very, very scared cooped up in a box for 24 hours? I can't even imagine doing this to him.

2. How will his immune system react to India? For those never been there, it is a dirty, polluted, loud country. Will he be OK with that? Of course he will be drinking filtered water all the time. But what about just the air he breathes in. I get allergies when I'm there, and I grew up there!

3. I don't know how he will manage with the wedding. If you've seen any Indian wedding in a movie, multiply that by 10 and that's how loud and crowded the whole thing is going to be. He might be scared etc. This is the least of my worries though. I can protect him if he's with me.

If we leave him here
1. We don't have any friends we can trust with a dog(no one has a dog) but our dog walker is awesome. She does board dogs at her place but they are all BIG dogs. She trusts them and says they are well trained. And I trust her, but it scares me to leave him there.

Second option is his breeder. His breeder is an amazing lady but she has a lot of other dogs to take care of. Plus her elderly mom. And she does so many shows. As much as I trust her I know she will be very distracted and he might not get a lot of her attention.

Third option is a pet hotel. Tbh, I am leaning strongly towards this option. We found a great daycare for him that I trust. And they have groomers in-house. I could pre-arrange regular grooming sessions for him. And the staff there loves him and he loves the staff.

2. I know no one can care for him the way I do. No one will brush his hair everyday, clean his teeth, mix the honest kitchen like the way he wants etc.

3. He might be confused and scared, and will miss us.

4. This is the biggest one, I can't fathom the idea of not having him at the wedding. It is a big event in our lives, and not having our baby there seems to stupid.

What do you guys think? I really don't know right now. There are a of factors but honestly to me it's the stressful travel vs. not having him at our wedding that's the biggest deciding point.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

If you could get him to me, I'd care for him in a heartbeat

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Your pros/cons list hasn't discussed customs, either the laws for bringing a dog into India or returning to the U.S. from India. You might need to check into this too.

How long will you be gone? That is important too. A week or 10 days at a doggie hotel is one thing; a month would be another.

As far as having him at your wedding, I would think how it would effect him more than how you would feel about him not being at your special day. While I know you would love to have him as part of your wedding day, if he were frightened and scared by all the noise and people, you most likely would not be able to focus on your wedding and would be worried about him instead.

While I love to travel with my pets, I think under these circumstances finding a safe, caring babysitting situation for him might be the best bet. Do you have a vet clinic that offers boarding (not just in a tiny cage but in a bigger kennel where he can go in and outside)? There you know his health and safety would be top priority. The doggie day-care place you mentioned sounds as if it might be a safe option too.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

I agree it would be a very stressful time taking him to India. That is too much of a plane ride for your baby. You might be able to find someone who could care for him and would give him a home environment. I would ask at your vet's office, often the techs do this sort of thing. You might think about having a picture of him at the ceremony or wearing a locket with his picture in it. Even if they paint a henna stencil of him on you, that I would be awesome and would be a furever memory. If you find the right care giver you can skype the ceremony so that you see him and he sees you and would be an important part of the day. I honestly think it best that he does not travel but stays near home. Can you get a house sitter?
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

I would NOT take him with me to India. Too many hours on the road. I would go either with the walker or the Pet hotel.
Sometimes it would help if we knew where a member is located. If you are in Arizona I would not mind babysitting him for you.

Last edited by MalteseJane; 01-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I will be gone for 10 days. I think you're all confirming what I already feared. We'd have to leave him here.

I think I'm gonna find someone on DogVacay.com and also have the walker check on him periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I would NOT take him with me to India. Too many hours on the road. I would go either with the walker or the Pet hotel.
Sometimes it would help if we knew where a member is located. If you are in Arizona I would not mind babysitting him for you.
That is so sweet of you. I would love to do that but we're in California.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
If you could get him to me, I'd care for him in a heartbeat
Deb if that were possible my only worry would be him getting used to a great life and missing it when he comes back to us, haha. I'm so touched you'd offer to take care of him.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I totally feel your dilemma-- I was contemplating a similar situation for a future family member's wedding! I know you want him there, but it does sound like it will be extra stressful to take him. Also, as ivysmom mentioned, India may have special regulations and quarantine procedures.

10 days does feel super long but is do-able. Do you know which month you are going? Maybe Gustave can stay with us if the dates work out I can brush him, his teeth, and he can play with Obi... And I can practice what it feels like to have two dogs :-)
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with the others. As difficult as it would be to leave him I think its best for everyone. As long as you trust whoever will be caring for him it should be fine. I know how hard it must be to even make that decision but considering your circumstances its probably the best thing to do. It must also be exciting planning a wedding. Congrats!!