HELP - Beyond Upset - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Lynn, I don't know why, but I have this feeling that you were sent to him to be his doctor of sorts. I am just thinking that all Oliver has needed is that one person to take control of his health, then he will be placed quickly in the right forever home. His previous owner and caregivers didn't have the breed background or research abilities that you have at your disposal. They likely just went along with whatever the doctors said without challenging their thoughts or discussing alternative treatment approaches. I think exploring naturals is the missing link here. Remember that I speak from experience since I have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivies). Traditional medicine can cause more trouble than good for some of us. Just remember, your instincts are exceptional. Let your heart guide you into finding the right BALANCED care plan for him...then present him to the world as the perfect forever adoptable fluff that he is. Hugs and I'm here if you need anything.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Last edited by Summergirl73; 01-23-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

I agree that it may not be as hopeless as you might think. I also agree that perhaps the previous caregiver may not have known, understood, or followed all the instructions and with time and correct administration the medicines might work. I would image there are people of means who are either retired, stay at home, or work at home and would love to have a sweet little boy. It is especially difficult for you because you are working and have only so much energy and time, you have big heart and you are worried about this little ones future, but you have to trust that things will be ok. On the positive side he is an energetic and happy ball of fluff, he has no life-threatening illnesses or conditions, he does not need major surgery, he has a condition that need to be controlled medically. I do think there are people in the position to take that on and give him a permanent home. Take a deep breadth and take it step by step. Take care.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Okay, let's not panic. You might be overreacting here. Food he will need anyway. Same for shampoo. At his age he does not need anymore vaccinations besides the rabies. You said his teeth look good, so no need for cleaning. You now know about his allergies and what the meds are. Your regular vet can prescribe them and you might get them cheaper from an online pharmacy. At least he is not diabetic. My lhasa got diabetic from the prednisone at age 7 and on top of the allergy meds we had to give him insulin. We did that for almost 5 years. When we wanted to go somewhere we boarded him with the vet. I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that after Oscar (my lhasa) I was afraid to get another dog with allergies. I hope you find a solution.
I was thinking a little along these lines too, Jodi has yet to have a dental. It's not necessarily a yearly requirement. I also give my cat meds twice a day, I'm sure all of this together is overwhelming when you are fresh from the vets and have 3 already. It is really disappointing thou that to hear this from the vet when hoping for better news for Oliver. I hope things look brighter soon and hopefully some good options are there for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

You have received great advice, Lynn..I agree with all said..I think you have a big heart...but it can be overwhelming working full time, and having 4. Three is my absolute limit and I am retired..I love having them and I have no regrets, but it is like having 3 little toddlers...one of them always needs something..
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)
Default HELP - Beyond Upset

Lynn, you have such a big heart and I know that you just want Oliver to be cared for the way he should be. It is daunting to think of the care he needs, but I do think he still is adoptable! Just think of the other rescues who were in much worse shape and went to forever homes. I'm sure with some networking and TLC, he will find his home. Maybe even try getting a second opinion with a different dermatologist with his records in hand?
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

I read you post over a few times and can sense that you are very concerned and upset. I was actually thinking about your situation last night and IMO and I stress IMO ...if I were in your shoes I would keep him. For some reason, I think this little guy has impacted you a great deal. You have to do what you think is best for you and your situation and I hope you will find comfort in whatever decision you make ~
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Checking in to see how Lynn and Oliver are doing today.

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

I'm much less stressed and Oliver is home with the girls. Started a new thread about the research I've done this morning on Atopy Dermatisis (which is his diagnosis).

Oliver - Atopy Dermatitis

I'm at the office, supposed to be working, but have primarily been researching allergy info for Oliver. Please continue in the thread I listed above.

Your support means the world to me and let's me know that I'm not alone in my quest to help little Oliver.