Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Loose question

513 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Grace'sMom 
#1 ·
At what age did you allow your fluff to be left free run of the house or certain area of the house when you weren't home? I always put Leila in her play yard when I'm gone. But I think she would be happier where she could be with the other pets instead of all alone. We have a female Lab, who's 6 years old and smaller for a Lab, but still at least 3 or 4 times the size of Leila and is pretty gentle with and tolerant of Leila. Still, who knows how she'd be if there were no human eyes around. Also, we have two cats that are one and two years old. Both male. Do you think she would be safe being alone with these three if I left them all confined to just the den and kitchen if everything is puppy proofed? Leila will be 7 months old February 8th.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Dewey is 8 months old, and he is in the x pen when I'm gone. He is a chewer and an antagonizer so I don't trust him at all! My Violet, on the other hand could of been out by herself when she was a lot younger! I left Laurel and Hardy out together, while I went outside(they were younger) when I came back in, they had ripped a whole strip of wall paper off the kitchen wall!! I guess it depends on the fluff and how long you're gone.

#4 ·
Ok, thank you! I'm a worrier and I know I would be worried about all the what ifs if I left her out loose now. I've seen other posts where puppies about her age were free while the humans were gone and just wondering if I was being a meanie or if I'm doing the right thing even if it would be more fun for her to have playmates while I'm gone. It's been years since I had a puppy and can't remember at what age I gave them the freedom.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
I personally would never leave a little Maltese loose and unsupervised with big dogs. I've read too many sad stories of Maltese who were seriously injured by even gentle big dogs because of the size difference.

I firmly believe that anyone who chooses to bring a fragile dog like a Maltese into a household where there are big dogs and/or small children must go into it understanding that they will have to supervise interaction for the life of the Maltese.

#6 ·
I agree with Marj. I have a big dog in the home and even though he is a trained service dog and as gentle as a lamb, he outweighs Bella by 60 plus pounds and his sheer size alone could cause harm in just normal day to day interactions without supervision. I don't have any cats in the home, but I vaguely remember when I first joined this forum reading something bout a Malt's eye getting scratched and injured by the family cat. I wouldn't take the chance. I also have two kids...13 and 6. Its a little more work, but when I got a Malt I knew that I would ALWAYS have to supervise given the environment. If I have to leave and Bella can't come with me and the service dog is also home, Bella is either happily in her IRIS pen with her bed and her flossie or in the master bedroom. However, usually if one dog is with me, the other is at home and vice versa. We call it "musical dogs."

#7 ·
I wouldn't leave Leila loose yet until she is very much an adult in her behavior and doesn't get into things, maybe 2 years old though that varies doggy to doggy so it may be never. But now she is still a puppy and puppies can be very mischievious, and as we've been mentioning on the other threads, EVERYTHING still goes into their mouths - toilet paper, wallpaper, wood panelling "buttons", hair scrunchies, everything. What scares me the most are things like lamp or computer cords. When I can't supervise her, Ivy goes into her crate with her bed for a nap.

#9 ·
Yeah, I agree with the others.... I wouldn't let her be unsupervised with the big dogs.

Even if they don't play rough, all it would take is one of them accidentally laying on her or something.

I think she's safest in her pen.

I keep Grace in her xpen when I have to leave her alone. Gus gets free reign but he's bigger so I know he can't fit into places like behind the fridge or under something...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.