Crying - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Teddy

Yes, it is ok to cry. Just like our own human babies. Crying will not hurt them plus it lets them know you are the alpha just as in a den the alpha will leave from time to time. Letting them cry a little will help with separation anxiety later on. All of my babies human and fur have cried a little when young and now all have no problems with separation anxiety or knowing they are alright by themselves for a little bit.
Hrossen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Poor little baby has just been torn from his momma and siblings, and is lonely and afraid. Cuddle, cuddle, cuddle all you can and reassure him that you are there for him and will keep him safe and loved. The sooner he is content and confident that you will love and keep him safe, the sooner his confidence will grow that his world is a safe place and he will stop crying.

We don't let our dogs sleep in bed with us but Ivy's wire crate is right next to my side of the bed so she can see me all night and I can see her. She is content with her bed. She woke me up crying about 3 a.m. for the first 3 nights or so, and maybe a couple other times after that, but has slept through the night since then. Those times she woke me up I would get up, take her outside to potty, then sit on the side of the bed in the dark and cuddle her until her eyes started getting heavy (about 3 minutes), then put her back on her bed in her crate. She'd then go back to sleep until time to get up in the morning.

The sooner you help your baby understand that he is loved and you will keep him safe, the sooner he will stop crying.

Last edited by IvysMom; 02-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrossen11 View Post
Yes, it is ok to cry. Just like our own human babies. Crying will not hurt them plus it lets them know you are the alpha just as in a den the alpha will leave from time to time. Letting them cry a little will help with separation anxiety later on. All of my babies human and fur have cried a little when young and now all have no problems with separation anxiety or knowing they are alright by themselves for a little bit.
Wow....

I actually don't believe in letting human babies cry. Babies cry for a reason... not to manipulate. If they cry, they need something.

Did you know that parents in the USA touch their infants and children the LEAST out of all countries? We also breastfeed the least.... All of this "cry it out" junk..... In any other country, that does not happen. Our country has one of the highest rates of attachment disorders.....

I know dogs are not human babies....

But I can't let them cry in a crate, either. Especially after just leaving their moms and litter mates. The dominance theory has been shot down multiple times. It is a joke. Dogs, even young puppies, know we are not dogs.... they have evolved to communicate with us over the years, we should be able to do the same.....

Try something fun like Crate Games with your puppy to give a positive association with their kennel. Don't just let them cry.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Wow....

I actually don't believe in letting human babies cry. Babies cry for a reason... not to manipulate. If they cry, they need something.

Did you know that parents in the USA touch their infants and children the LEAST out of all countries? We also breastfeed the least.... All of this "cry it out" junk..... In any other country, that does not happen. Our country has one of the highest rates of attachment disorders.....

I know dogs are not human babies....

But I can't let them cry in a crate, either. Especially after just leaving their moms and litter mates. The dominance theory has been shot down multiple times. It is a joke. Dogs, even young puppies, know we are not dogs.... they have evolved to communicate with us over the years, we should be able to do the same.....

Try something fun like Crate Games with your puppy to give a positive association with their kennel. Don't just let them cry.
Hmmmm, reading through this before I got to your post, I was thinking "this sounds just like two different theories on parenting." You hit the nail on the head. Some people are going to go for the attachment idea. If you make them feel loved and secure they will have the courage to be on their own later. OR you have to let them cry it out to learn that they can survive without you. I guess both theories work in the end. I, myself, tend to always take the kind and nurturing road...it just comes way more naturally to me. Both with kids AND with dogs.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

It will settle after about 2 -3 nights you mmust be strong and start as you mean to go on. It is normal (I do have a heart!) but it will settle xxx You could have pup in bed but is that what you want? If not perservere xxx you are nearly there.
f.mccauley@talk21.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

I Read all these great posts. One thing for sure-we all love our babys very much. I Had no problems with Yogi-He Slept well all thru the night and still does-except for baking at deer if to close to the house.

I Cant Stand to see him in the reg crate-so i use the x-Pen alot.
Or He and softy Momma Sleep together.
I Wish You the best it will get better/Honest.
Nickee & Yogi in Pa*
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Teddy

Agree different styles of parenting. You listen to all the advice and see what works best for you and your family. By the way, my babies only cried for ten minutes before they were reassured and tucked back in. My human girls love to snuggle but I have friends who kids are 10 yrs old and still with mom and dad so that was the main reason my kids learned they were well loved but would be safe and secure on own. My pup loves to snuggle but has no problem with me leaving coming and going. Just remember it is all advice. After reading you know what works best for you.
Hrossen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Jackson & Ava

Thanks everyone for all the advice!! Things are getting better already thank you all again

4everjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement