The myth of the rescue ? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Name: Aubrey
Dog's Name: Belle

I looked at this organization's video the last time it was suggested. The man making the video seemed wonderfully loving and familiar with the animals in his care. I also found their website's article on separation barking to be very insightful and helpful.

While an overseas adoption is not feasible for a dog that will be a working therapy dog for anxious clients, the shelter's mission is very moving and I am happy to contribute to their cause.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephanie
Dog's Name: Daisy and Ellie the Sheltie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
I looked at this organization's video the last time it was suggested. The man making the video seemed wonderfully loving and familiar with the animals in his care. I also found their website's article on separation barking to be very insightful and helpful.

While an overseas adoption is not feasible for a dog that will be a working therapy dog for anxious clients, the shelter's mission is very moving and I am happy to contribute to their cause.
Sorry, I forgot that you had already posted about searching for a rescue dog and that you had mentioned it was for a therapy dog. I understand the difficulties with overseas adoptions. I didn't realize you were the same person posting again and I was just trying to get the word out. I thought this was a completely different post by a different person. I suppose I should pay better attention haha.
Steph_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
Default I hear you ! You are not alone in your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
I hope this won't ruffle anyone's fur the wrong way but ...I have been closely watching all the rescue sites I can find for well over 6 months and am left wondering why the conventional wisdom says "there are SO many Maltese looking for good homes". I am not saying anything against rescue. My last baby was a rescued senior with serious health problems and our other dog is a rescue with Lymangiectasia (a whole story in itself). And I know many of you have rescued wonderful pets of your own. But the fact is that for at least the past year, there are very few healthy malts in rescues and when they do appear, the organizations are literally flooded with applications. There are quite a few larger dogs who lookk like they might have a little malt in them (or Bichon, Havanese, Coton, or Bolognese) and a number of Maltese that have serious issues which require very special circumstances. But there are really not many healthy Maltese who simply need loving homes.

So if all these backyard breeders and puppy mills are constantly producing scores of poorly bred Maltese and unscrupulously selling them to unqualified owners...where are they actually ending up? Because I can tell you, they are not in the rescues, on Petfinder, Petango, Adopt-a-Pet, RescueMe.org, or with the American Maltese Rescue (an excellent organization - but not overflowing with available dogs). And while I will continue to search these options, I certainly won't be casually advising people to find themselves a rescue Maltese as though it is easy to do.
Aubrey,
You sound just like me before we 'bought' our dog. And let me tell you it was a last resort. My husband & I searched for about 2 years for a rescue small breed. At first we wanted a Maltese or Yorkie, but as we realized they are never available {never was our experience}, we also considered adopting Chihuahua, Poodle, Havaneese, ShihTzu, Brussles Griffon or a mix of these, virtually any small dog at all. After two years of signing up for multiple rescues and shelters, being approved with home checks, there was still not one dog to be had. We were so angry & disappointed by the end of that time {I'm not proud to admit it}we payed a breeder & 'bought' our fur son, he is a full breed Maltese. Even though we did not aquire him in the manner we had wished, we wound up with the perfect dog for us. He couldn't be more perfect than if I had given birth to him myself lol .

There is one instance in particular that sticks in my mind from the time when we were trying to adopt. We went to an adoption event held by a rescue, & there a foster person with 3 Chihuahuas supposedly up for adoption had right away told us "No" when we walked up to her to inquire about adopting one of them. She hadn't even spoken at all even one word with us yet or we to her, we literally had just walked in the door just a second before & within seconds she just said "No." We are normal average looking people in our early 50's , very responsible with a great loving, safe forever home. That foster didn't even ask any of that about us & just right away told us no upon us walking in the door.

And on another occasion at a shelter, up for adoption advertised on Petfinder there was a so called 'Shorkie' {ShihTzu/Yorkie mix -even though I know that's not really an official breed} We waited about 1 year to adopt that dog before we gave up! They kept telling us he will be available in a few weeks, we heard that over & over again about that dog. They had a new excuse for why he wasn't ready to be adopted every time we inquired about him. I think they just kept that cute little guy at the shelter to lure people in the door, but never actually allowed him to be adopted. I even think he might have belonged to someone who worked at that shelter but I can't know for sure. It was those two experiences along with many others that finally wore out our patience & we were forced to 'purchase'.

Last edited by LOVE_BABY; 11-15-2016 at 02:16 PM.
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Not all rescue groups are equal! Some of them may be too picky, others not picky enough about who they adopt their dogs to. I think some potential adopters are looking for "the perfect dog" - young, beautiful, preferably purebred, completely healthy and housebroken with no personality issues -- but dogs are in part a product of the environment in which they are raised, so a shelter or rescue dog is unlikely to be quite so perfect.

Mostly an adopter--or purchaser--of a dog has to ask questions and try to figure out if they are willing to do what other things it may take to make this imperfect dog into a good fit for their home and lifestyle.

I know a lady in another part of the country who makes a living, in part, by taking puppies people have acquired and socializing and training them for six weeks or so (I think). If I didn't have such low standards (cute, small adult, not evil I'd love to have someone do that for me!
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Aubrey - I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble finding a Maltese to adopt. Trust me, I'm a foster for and board member of AMAR, there are plenty out there but often the dogs that come into rescue and into shelters aren't the ones that look "picture perfect" for what some think of as a Maltese and set their minds on for rescue. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. I saw that the suggestions posted did not meet your needs. What are your needs? Did you put in applications with the rescues? Many rescue dogs don't even make it on available pages because people who have been approved and are waiting to be next in line for dogs that fit the that person. We spend a lot of time trying to perfectly match the dog with the adoptive family.

We do have plenty of dogs out there who need to be adopted. I'd say at least a Maltese or two in NYC where I am every day or so. If they're healthy and young, the shelters adopt them out at their events. If they're older, have issues, we get a crack at them. But we can't rescue these dogs without fosters and we have a severe lack of them. Without more fosters,we have nowhere for these dogs or owner surrenders to go. And the other key is that without donations we don't have the money to take in more dogs because of what vet care costs these days (many come in with terrible teeth and need very costly dentals) And then there are permanent fosters, the ones too old or too ill to find an adoptive home though we try. We pay their bills the rest of their lives. It all takes money and if we don't have that, we have to stop or limit our intake.

Rescues like AMAR don't have a single paid employee. We're all volunteers spending countless hours inquiring about, fostering, worrying about and caring for these dogs and then finding them perfect placement. I'm spending most of this day going over an application, checking references, planning a home visit. Other days I'm talking to people about not giving up their dog if there's another way for them to keep the dog...training, networking for a home amongst family or friends. Other days I'm cross posting dogs we can't take in but want to help. And that's just part of what we do. I never realized this until I began volunteering. The satisfaction and joy of placing dogs is the best reward though and makes all the hard work worth it.

We're not a myth. We're a hard working devoted group of people with one purpose...doing what's right for the dogs who need our help.
We get in some owners surrenders who come in because of financial hardship, new baby, moving, divorce, going to assisted living, etc. We often see them after people decide they have no use for them anymore. They are older, their health is deteriorated, their children taunted them and now they can't control them. Frankly if they look perfect and have perfect health they would probably still be with their owners. Or their owners sell them on CraigsList or other sites.

We often get the diamonds in the rough who come to us looking rough around the edges and go out looking like finely cut gems. I really think it would help if people would broaden their perception of what a great Maltese is and look inside as well as out. I hope this may help you understand what we are doing and hope you find a Maltese.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Now I'm getting obsessed -

Snow while mix newly listed -- as adoptable -- in Manteca! Must be an owner surrender to be available so soon.

www.PetHarbor.com pet:MANT.A002265
Old 11-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Mr. Wilson and Cooper ... Lady Bella Marie at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Aubrey - I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble finding a Maltese to adopt. Trust me, I'm a foster for and board member of AMAR, there are plenty out there but often the dogs that come into rescue and into shelters aren't the ones that look "picture perfect" for what some think of as a Maltese and set their minds on for rescue. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. I saw that the suggestions posted did not meet your needs. What are your needs? Did you put in applications with the rescues? Many rescue dogs don't even make it on available pages because people who have been approved and are waiting to be next in line for dogs that fit the that person. We spend a lot of time trying to perfectly match the dog with the adoptive family.

We do have plenty of dogs out there who need to be adopted. I'd say at least a Maltese or two in NYC where I am every day or so. If they're healthy and young, the shelters adopt them out at their events. If they're older, have issues, we get a crack at them. But we can't rescue these dogs without fosters and we have a severe lack of them. Without more fosters,we have nowhere for these dogs or owner surrenders to go. And the other key is that without donations we don't have the money to take in more dogs because of what vet care costs these days (many come in with terrible teeth and need very costly dentals) And then there are permanent fosters, the ones too old or too ill to find an adoptive home though we try. We pay their bills the rest of their lives. It all takes money and if we don't have that, we have to stop or limit our intake.

Rescues like AMAR don't have a single paid employee. We're all volunteers spending countless hours inquiring about, fostering, worrying about and caring for these dogs and then finding them perfect placement. I'm spending most of this day going over an application, checking references, planning a home visit. Other days I'm talking to people about not giving up their dog if there's another way for them to keep the dog...training, networking for a home amongst family or friends. Other days I'm cross posting dogs we can't take in but want to help. And that's just part of what we do. I never realized this until I began volunteering. The satisfaction and joy of placing dogs is the best reward though and makes all the hard work worth it.

We're not a myth. We're a hard working devoted group of people with one purpose...doing what's right for the dogs who need our help.
We get in some owners surrenders who come in because of financial hardship, new baby, moving, divorce, going to assisted living, etc. We often see them after people decide they have no use for them anymore. They are older, their health is deteriorated, their children taunted them and now they can't control them. Frankly if they look perfect and have perfect health they would probably still be with their owners. Or their owners sell them on CraigsList or other sites.

We often get the diamonds in the rough who come to us looking rough around the edges and go out looking like finely cut gems. I really think it would help if people would broaden their perception of what a great Maltese is and look inside as well as out. I hope this may help you understand what we are doing and hope you find a Maltese.

summergirl1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Another specific suggestion is Stonecliffe Animal Rescue. It is based in Lemoore, which is farther down in the central valley and in not-so-prosperous an area. They also bring dogs up to a large pet store in Dublin, CA, for adoption events, twice a month I believe. I adopted a very cute dog from them about a year ago, but was not limiting my search to Maltese. Here's a link to their petfinder listings--they have some pretty nice looking other small breeds at the moment. https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=CA1005 Who knows, maybe they will have a Maltese in the future.

Last edited by mss; 11-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Name: Aubrey
Dog's Name: Belle

Hello Snowbody, I totally agree with your post and please understand, I was not saying that the rescue organizations are a myth. My family used to run the Bay Area Arctic Breed Rescue. And trust me, I've paid for many the expensive dental procedure on our rescued dogs. My point was simply similar to yours, that Maltese in good condition tend to stay with their families, even the ones that are sold by backyard breeders or puppy mills with no screening of owners. The "Myth" I was referring to is the oft told tale that an abundance of puppy mill and pet store Maltese end up as adoptable rescues when abandoned by their owners. They simply don't.

Yes, I am being picky about this particular dog. She has to be a working therapy dog as well as a family pet. I am a therapist and my Maltese did wonders for anxious adult patients and hard-to-reach children. As for what I am looking for, I don't insist on the postcard purebred but she has to have an appearance that will not be intimidating to timid kids. The absolutely "perfect" look of a dog for me would actually be AMAR's "Fawn". Sadly, she has been so abused that she will always be traumatized by meeting strangers. Otherwise, I would take her in a hot minute and just work with her gently until she felt more secure. The dog I need also has to be a female because of the nature of our other rescue who needs a female companion. And she has to be under 8 pounds because I have to be able to carry both dogs up the stairs safely.

Buying from a reputable breeder is most certainly not out of the question but a puppy isn't suitable for therapy work and available adult females are even more rare than rescue dogs that fit this description. I know my search will not be a short one, I have already been looking for 6 months because my 17 year old who just passed away hasn't been able to work in that time.

MSS - you are so sweet to help, I greatly appreciate it. I do check the websites twice a day. I have applied to quite a few but they seem to be always already placed. For example, just this morning, I heard back about Macy who was first posted on RescueMe.org two days ago and placed immediately.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Female under 8 pounds and not skittish around strangers. Got it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement