The myth of the rescue ? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Aubrey
Dog's Name: Belle
Default The myth of the rescue ?

I hope this won't ruffle anyone's fur the wrong way but ...I have been closely watching all the rescue sites I can find for well over 6 months and am left wondering why the conventional wisdom says "there are SO many Maltese looking for good homes". I am not saying anything against rescue. My last baby was a rescued senior with serious health problems and our other dog is a rescue with Lymangiectasia (a whole story in itself). And I know many of you have rescued wonderful pets of your own. But the fact is that for at least the past year, there are very few healthy malts in rescues and when they do appear, the organizations are literally flooded with applications. There are quite a few larger dogs who lookk like they might have a little malt in them (or Bichon, Havanese, Coton, or Bolognese) and a number of Maltese that have serious issues which require very special circumstances. But there are really not many healthy Maltese who simply need loving homes.

So if all these backyard breeders and puppy mills are constantly producing scores of poorly bred Maltese and unscrupulously selling them to unqualified owners...where are they actually ending up? Because I can tell you, they are not in the rescues, on Petfinder, Petango, Adopt-a-Pet, RescueMe.org, or with the American Maltese Rescue (an excellent organization - but not overflowing with available dogs). And while I will continue to search these options, I certainly won't be casually advising people to find themselves a rescue Maltese as though it is easy to do.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

A lot of them are in public shelters, that is, local animal control organizations. Private rescues might want to focus on the most needy dogs and are limited in how many they can rescue and place, because of funding and lack of available volunteers and foster homes. And if you are really interested in a rescue, contact the organizations directly to let them know, rather than waiting to see what dogs are listed on the internet sites.

Last edited by mss; 11-14-2016 at 01:01 PM.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Also, do you search of petharbor.com ? Many public shelters use petharbor.com to list their incoming animals and those made available for adoption.

I see you live in Sacramento. So do I. I have been a volunteer with AMAR for a number of years, but I can't foster any more because two of my old dogs have health issues. But I have seen quite a few Maltese or Maltese mixes listed at the Contra Costa County shelters over the years.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the reminder about Petharbor. I have had an unproductive breed interest request registered with them (and many other individual rescues). Although it is not an easy site to use for larger geographic searches and provides almost no information about most of the animals, I just searched there again with a 200 mile radius and they do list just a few that do not appear on the other sites but not many and the same issues apply. Most are seniors, larger mixes, or significantly health compromised.

No knocks to that avenue, these animals need and deserve good homes and I have taken on more than my share over the years. But my point still stands that there do not seem to be an abundance of specifically Maltese "hobby breeders" whose dogs are ending up homeless.

In no way is this a defense of poor breeding practices or exploitation of dogs. I know birth is hard on these tiny creatures and I support any protections we can offer them. I would never knowingly provide profit to someone who did not love and protect the breed or their own animals. I'm just sayig that there do not seem to be as many homeless Maltese as is often assumed and the ones that are listed do generate a great deal of interest among potential adopters.

I will keep an eye out specifically for Contra Costa, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Here's a recent intake in Manteca. Maybe you could call and inquire about her status if going there isn't out of the question if and when she becomes available. I suspect the tan in her coat may come out with grooming, but she's really cute. www.PetHarbor.com pet:MANT.A011626
Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Here's a male that's adoptable from Fremont Animal Services. He's on petfinder,, too, but no info about his background and temperament is posted. Awfully cute. I think it is a small shelter, so they may be able to tell you about him.
www.PetHarbor.com pet:FRMT.A142867
Old 11-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Also in Fremont, an adoptable older mix girl. Cute and I bet she'd be a lot whiter after grooming. Again, no info about her personality etc. but little older ones are kind of my kind of doggie if I had room! www.PetHarbor.com pet:FRMT.A141821
Old 11-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

I think there are a lot more in southern California, if you can work with a rescue in that area. A lady who lives near me fell for one of AMARs SoCal. seniors and I did the homecheck and she flew down to get him!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks again, sincerely. Although these specific listings aren't really suitable for my needs, I would absolutely fly or drive to meet the right dog and bring her home. So if anyone has or knows of a little lady who might be retiring soon, I would love to talk with you.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephanie
Dog's Name: Daisy and Ellie the Sheltie

The rescue I work with has a few Maltese in their care now and they also post about dogs that are available at the local pound which they don't have the resources to care for. Just last week there were at least 4 Maltese. Most of them are young and great pets, people here just get them as cute puppies and don't realize they need care and training. When they become too much work they dump them at the pound. I'm in South Korea though. There are options for sending dogs but not everyone is into that.

If you're interested you can follow their Facebook groups and contact the rescue group directly. The dogs at the pound are not always available as they are generally euthanized 10 days after they are brought in, if no one adopts them. It's best to contact them to see what's available and they can keep a look out for you. It's fairly easy to courier a dog to California or ship with an airline as the flight is shorter than say going to the East coast.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WendysLastMeals/
https://www.facebook.com/shindogs/?fref=ts
Steph_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement