Advise?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Duncan
Default Advise??

Help...my sweet little Duncan isn't even 18 weeks old yet and he started wrapping his front paws around my arm...like a hug...and has slowly started humping!! Should I assume this is him trying to be dominant? Best way to handle?
nonameyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

Remove him from your arm, gently, say "no" gently, and redirect him to playing with a toy or ball or doing something else. I wouldn't use the term "dominance," but it is annoying and embarrassing and you don't want him to get into the habit of doing it to you, guests, etc.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about what to do in this case. Duncan looks precious in his photo by the way! I have a male too but he never has done that particular behavior. We had him neutered when he was around 6 or 7 months so he never reached any sort of level with hormones. But your Duncan is so young I doubt it would be hormonal {if it turns out to be hormones I stand corrected}.

My parents have a female Golden Retriever, she is about 8 years old and she often humps other dogs in the dog park both male & female. With her it is strictly a dominance thing. My parents are a little bit embarrassed when she does this behavior. They adopted her when she was about 3 years old and she came with the behavior & they don't know how to stop it so they just ignore it since she only does it at the dog park. I'll be curious to read what advice others might give you about this topic. Good luck!

Last edited by LOVE_BABY; 03-21-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Type-O
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephanie
Dog's Name: Daisy and Ellie the Sheltie

Our rescue Sheltie went into heat in January and she humped a lot. I just calmly corrected the behavior. She's being treated for heart worm and can't be spayed until that's done. I had a male Newfoundland before and he had a major humping problem that got fixed with neutering. With him though it wasn't just embarrassing. He was about 80 lbs at 6-9 months and would tackle people, even children, to hump them. He got kicked out of his social play group until he got neutered after he knocked a lady over to get to her pug.
Steph_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Name: Samantha
Dog's Name: Olivia (Morkie)

Olivia has started doing this too, I'm trying to direct her to using a toy for that but she loves my arm for whatever reason - she's also fixed. She started doing it after she was fixed! Little nutcase!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Duncan

Thanks everyone! That is what I am doing...figured I would see if there was any other magical solution I wasn't thinking of ...thanks for sharing your funny stories too!! Everyone else's hump stories are always hysterical...when they are our own, they are cringe worthy! LOL
nonameyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

P.S. in my post I neglected to mention that my parents female Golden Retriever who humps has also been spayed.
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement