Does your dog like snow? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

My two little princesses just might be in for the shock of their lives. We are thinking of moving from California to Missouri. I'm so worried how they will do in the weather. They are not pee pad trained and they will have nothing to do with it. Do they do ok in the snow when they have to go to the bathroom?
chloeandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to LexiAndNikkisMom Send a message via Yahoo to LexiAndNikkisMom

The girls like snow somewhat. I just got them little winter coats we put on when we go outside. They are usually pretty quick trips. The first time Lexi saw the snow she loved it but after that when she realized there is a little cleanup inside (little balls of snow get stuck to their legs and belly) she didn't like it as much. What helps is when you have lots of snow is to shovel an area of grass so they can easily go.

To let you know Missouri gets lots of ice too. More than Iowa gets.

Kristi, Lexi, & Nikki

LexiAndNikkisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

The boys were not too sure at first but after a couple of mins they were fine.

They hopped about like little bunnies, very cute!

When they came back in they walked a little like John Wayne LOL. They had lots of little snowballs stuck to their hair.
jude'n'jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Wow, big change! Peechies doesn't mind the snow, she does her business on the peepee pads. If you should take her out she will do her thing in the snow too
Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Caesar likes snow, just the first time in it each year is a surprise for him. Cooper hasn't been in the snow yet
Caesar's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

I was curious/concerned with naddie and snow since she came form the South to our NY winter. Well she loves!! the snow!! ( Missy did too!) I do put the coat on.. and we DO have to keep an area cleared for potty... we call it the 'pooh-parlor". we shovel a path from steps onto grass then widen to a large 'cul-de-sac' ... this gives the "necessary" roaming to find the "right-spot"
Old 06-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Baxter doesn't mind the snow a bit, 'course here in Oklahoma we are lucky to get 2 snow falls a season and that melts in a day or 2. Now Wally who wouldn't think about peeing in the house, left us a couple of surprises this year. He will go out, but I guess, being a little closer to the ground, he wasn't fond of having his....thing ....frozen! I like the idea of the little path and cul-de-sac! Jack now, he won't budge from the house if he even senses moisture in the air! He has a bladder that I've seen go 18 hours!
Baxter and Wally's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We get quite a bit of snow here, and the furkids love it! They especially love to race through the big fluffy piles. They wear custom made winter suits, so snow removal is minimal, but still required. They expect me to clean them up with a warm washcloth (or 2) after a walk in the snow, and in fact are quite disappointed if I don't "take care of them" when they come in.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Lizzie Send a message via Yahoo to Lizzie

Riley adores snow! He races around making new paths, dives head first into mounds of snow and thinks pushing snow down the hill so it makes rolling snow balls is great. I actually have hours of video of him playing in the snow, my kids remind me that he keeps doing the same things so I can stop, he wasn't so thrilled with spring and cold mud tho.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Wilson likes to eat snow, but he doesn't like to walk in it! We had to shovel the snow from the backdoor, along the path, to the yard, and then we had to shovel parts of the yard down to the grass so he would go potty. And then, because you know how picky these Maltese are- we had to continually shovel a different area of the yard. But he did ok- he didn't stay out for long, and we didn't take any walks because the salt, sand etc they put down on all the sidewalks can irritate the pads of their feet. We made sure every night to take Wilson to our basement and excercise him.

We had a few days when it was so cold Wilson had to wear his sweater and his coat to go outside. I also let the hair on his pads grow longer than I normally would to add a bit of protection from the cold ground. That seemed to help a lot.

Good luck!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
Deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement