Teeny, tiny bugs in water dish - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I didn't even know where to post this...the past two mornings when I get up there are these teeny, tiny bugs floating in Ollie's water dish--a lot of them, like 20-30! I am completely stumped. I have no idea what they are--I haven't seen them anywhere else in my house. Some appear to be alive still and some dead. I'm almost certain they are not fleas--they are smaller AND Ollie has been completely shaved down and there is NOTHING on his body (not even hair, lol). This ONLY happens when I get up in the morning--I change his water through out the day and never see them during the day time. Any ideas????? (edited to add--I don't think they are fruit flies, either, they are even smaller than that--I'd say like 1/4 the size of a sesame seed and the same shape...) Edited again...now that I think about it more...could this be ear mites?? They are black, though. I looked in his ears and I see a few teeny spots of blood--but that could be from where the groomer plucked his ear hairs? If this is something he picked up at the groomer's I will be RIPPING mad. He's only been to a groomer 3x's in his life--this latest one was a brand new one--the place seemed meticulously clean. Well, if it's ear mites I will DEFINITELY be learning to groom him myself...AND I will be calling the groomer to see what compensation I can get......

Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

Can you take a picture?
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

Pam we have those tiny little bugs outside, I see them on the sidewalk all the time just by the back door, I am not sure what they are but I think they are just bugs that hang out in the summer. They have probably come in under a door and are seeking out the water. The ones we have are black also, but they don't get in the house, well at least so far I haven't seen them inside. Do you have Ollie's water dish in a stand, if not that might stop them gettting in his water
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Can you take a picture?[/B]
That's a good idea. I just changed his water after an hour and there were two new ones in there. Alive still. I'll check again in an hour... I do hope it's a summer thing like Janet said. Our back door, which is only several yards from Ollie's bowl, is open and shut a lot from us all (mostly the kids) coming in and out....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Quote:
That's a good idea. I just changed his water after an hour and there were two new ones in there. Alive still. I'll check again in an hour... I do hope it's a summer thing like Janet said. Our back door, which is only several yards from Ollie's bowl, is open and shut a lot from us all (mostly the kids) coming in and out....
[/B]
Pam I just googled tiny little bugs that gather on the pavement and this is what I found, they say they love moisture and are called "Springtails" Some folks say the get in their aquariums too but the fish love them, there are many different varieties so I am guessing this could be what we both have.

Is this what they look like?
[attachment=24120:attachment]

Last edited by Scoobydoo; 06-20-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Scoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

i think those are the ones that get through the screens on my windows/doors.

what pests!!

Purchasing from backyard breeders, pet shops and puppymills only perpetuates suffering.
Break the cycle and do some good.
Please educate yourself about reputable breeders and rescue organizations.
Do yourself a favor and go about adding your next furry family member the right way.
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

I have found a few tiny little bugs on the bathroom floors and one on my countertop. They are really tiny, tiny. Even tinier then the ones in Janet's picture. Since Alex has a bottle they cannot get in his water.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
Pam I just googled tiny little bugs that gather on the pavement and this is what I found, they say they love moisture and are called "Springtails" Some folks say the get in their aquariums too but the fish love them, there are many different varieties so I am guessing this could be what we both have.

[/B]
OMG! YES!!! That's exactly what they look like!!!! Thank you!!!!!!! I will look them up later. Thank you SO much Janet--you rock!!!!! omg I was SO livid thinking that he caught ear mites or something at the groomer's. I'm going to keep an eye on the situation to just make sure...yuck...speaking of bugs, a few nights ago we did not put the cover on my kid's swimming pool and in the morning there were these two dead crickets in there--I swear they were 3" long. I was HORRIFIED. I refused to take them out of the pool myself therefore the kids had to wait until their dad got home to go swimming, lol. I am a WIMP with bugs.....
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QUOTE(Mia&Cody'sMom @ Jun 29 2007, 08:20 AM)
<div class='quotemain'>
[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]

OMG! YES!!! That's exactly what they look like!!!! Thank you!!!!!!! I will look them up later. Thank you SO much Janet--you rock!!!!! omg I was SO livid thinking that he caught ear mites or something at the groomer's. I'm going to keep an eye on the situation to just make sure...yuck...speaking of bugs, a few nights ago we did not put the cover on my kid's swimming pool and in the morning there were these two dead crickets in there--I swear they were 3" long. I was HORRIFIED. I refused to take them out of the pool myself therefore the kids had to wait until their dad got home to go swimming, lol. I am a WIMP with bugs.....
[/B][/QUOTE]

Pam, I am glad to solve your mystery Those little critters come in various shapes and colors too according to what I saw, that picture is magnified but if you saw them even more magnified they look quite ugly, oh by the way, crickets won't hurt you I have never worried about bugs much, but the one I don't like around here in the summer are the locusts, apart from the dreadful noise they make they are so ugly
We were supposed to see the cicadas this year, the ones that come out every 17 years, so far nothing in our area but they were out in Chicago I believe, they are supposed to be huge and very noisy too.
If you want to remove bugs from the pool why not get a little net and scoop them out that way, at least then you won't have direct contact with them
Advertisement