Wet versus dry? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Julee
Dog's Name: Poppy, Taz & Cita (a white shepherd mix)
Default Wet versus dry?

Can anyone tell me if there are disadvantages to feeding wet food? Poppy has been on dry food (Orijen 6 Fish) until we started the antibiotics for the staining, and I mix that with wet food ... Merrick's Turduckin.

Now Poppy seems to be liking and eating the wet food more, and turning his nose up at the dry food.

If there is not a huge problem with him eating one meal a day of the wet food, can you guys tell me what is the best out there? I bought the Turduckin at the groomers, because I have not investigated wet foods out there, and Merrick is not that bad.

Thanks bunches! Jules

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Cheryl Zuccaro
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nida
Dog's Name: Emma Charlotte (CloudClan Maltese) and Bailey (Honorary Maltese)

Julee, I usually mix a little bit of wet food in with Bailey's dry food as well. Sometimes, he'll eat a meal of just the wet food. I frequently change up the brands but most often I use Weruva. Also Halo Spot's Stew, Merrick, Party Animal, Organix, Wysong.

CloudClan I'll Be There For You - "Emma"
Honorary Maltese - Bailey

Follow us on Facebook: The Adventures of Bailey & Emma

Last edited by Bailey&Me; 11-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Bailey&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

Mine eats wet food more than dry because she needs the moisture content. I think wet is actually much better. I love Weruva and Go Natural canned food. Today for example she is not eating any dry just the Go Natural 3 times per day.
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochie2 View Post
Mine eats wet food more than dry because she needs the moisture content. I think wet is actually much better. I love Weruva and Go Natural canned food. Today for example she is not eating any dry just the Go Natural 3 times per day.
Many vets recommend feeding wet food over dried kibble as dehydration from a kibble only diet can be a concern. My vet told me just to make sure I give Lady a dental chew twice a week.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzan
Dog's Name: Keiko & Nikki

IMO, wet food is overall a better choice than kibble. Canned food is less processed, and it contains more water. My friend has been feeding her dog Weruva canned dog food and he is doing very well on it. Currently, it's the only BPA-free canned dog food, if BPA is a concern to you.
Nikki's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dogs like people were designed to eat a diet that is about 70% water. So wet food is considered better by many Veterinarians. Most dogs that eat kibble spend their lives in a mild state of dehydration. The quality of the protein that is used in canned food is usually better as well.
wooflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Julee
Dog's Name: Poppy, Taz & Cita (a white shepherd mix)

Once again, you guys are the best!!!! Now, what do I do with the 2 huge bags of food I just had delivered?

I seriously doubt Poppy drinks near the amount he should, so now I feel okay giving him the wet food!

Thanks again and HUGz! Jules

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Cheryl Zuccaro
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Once again, you guys are the best!!!! Now, what do I do with the 2 huge bags of food I just had delivered?
Mine get dry for convenience but I drown it in water to make sure they're getting enough moisture. You might try that to use up the dry. If the bags are huge, that should only take, oh, 3 or 4 . . . years!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I aabsolutely love (and the dogs do too) the deyhdrated food that we are feeding. it rehydrates to a wet food. The only drawback for me, is the messy faces. I have to do face upkeep way more ofter!!

Please donate to GME reseach.
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post

I seriously doubt Poppy drinks near the amount he should, so now I feel okay giving him the wet food!

Thanks again and HUGz! Jules
After a month, 6 weeks max, dry kibble loses it's nutritional value and should be thrown out. Freezing it in ziploc bags can help prolong its life. I hope you have a big freezer!

Pet Food Storage Recommendations: What to Do, What NOT to Do! Learn How to Choose the Best Dog Food Containers.

Food Handling and Spoilage|Total Pet Magazine
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement