What Dog food not to feed? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Zoey
Default What Dog food not to feed?

I have been reading about the different foods you guys use, but i was wondering is there any that you wouldnt feed to your dogs? WIth my daughter moving out in two weeks and taking my grandpuppy with her i am getting things ready to get my own little fluff ball that wont go home with someone else. So any info you would like to part please let me know. I plan on making sure she/he has the best of everything i can afford lol.
thanks
dragonsdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tina
Dog's Name: Gidget

There are TONS of food choices out there and LOTS of opinions about food. It is a subject very near and dear to people's heart as it is so very important to your little one. Our dogs nutrition is one of the most important aspects of caring for them. Instead of saying what I wouldn't feed my dog because I wouldn't want to hurt feelings in case someone does feed their dog that particular food, lets me say what I feed my dogs. I am a big fan of Ziwi Peak. That is what I feed Lulu. I love it, and I don't have a problem with the protein content because it is such good protein source. My 2nd choice and what Gidget eats is Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear. It is one of their limited ingredient foods and the protein content is less than 28% which Maltese owners usually prefer for their liver and kidneys. Truthfully, it wouldn't bother me to have Gidget on ZP, but my Mom prefers her on Acana and Gidget belongs to her. I would also feed Fromm. Now, I am sure there are other good foods out there that I did not name, but I have satisfied myself with these foods and their manufacturers and recall history and they are easy to get; so to my way of thinking why "muddy my water" with adding other foods to my personal list at the moment. That's just my food opinion.

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminished." Dean Koontz
gidget'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Toki & Teddy

I pretty much won't feed anything that you can buy in a grocery store (Pedigree, Beneful, Iams, Kibbles n Bits) but basically foods that have corn, wheat, or soy as a top ingredient. These are fillers and common allergens. I really try to contact companies to get more information on their foods before I make a decision like where they source ingredients from, manufacturing practices, etc but just being in the store and looking at the back of the bag, I don't like seeing generic meats/fats/by-products at the top of the list or grains and automatically cross that off my list. I pick foods that have meat as the top ingredients. The type of animal should be specified...like "deboned chicken" and "chicken meal" is good but "chicken/poultry by-product" or "meat meal" is a no-go. My preference is for grain-free foods but certain grains like oats/barley/millet/brown rice I am okay with.

I'm currently feeding Toki some type of raw food in the AM (Stella & Chewy's or Nature's Variety) and kibble in the evenings. She's currently on a bag of Fromm's grain-free Game Bird. I really love Fromm as a company! They are really affordable as well! I pay like $12.99 for a 4-lb bag of the grain-free varieties and the same price for 5-lb grain-inclusive formulas. Acana/Orijen are also good choices if you don't mind paying more and they are what I'm looking into for Toki next!

If you're looking for something at big pet stores like Petsmart/Petco, I like Blue Buffalo. All of the dogs in our family have done really well on BB. It can be too rich for some dogs but this has not been my experience. I switched Toki over to Fromm just because it was a better value and from a smaller, family-owned company.

How exciting to get your own pup! Do you know when you'll be able to bring her/him home? I want so badly to get another puppy so that my 10 m/o yorkie will have a companion...I have been looking at another yorkie or a maltese!
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I like the input you have gotten so far. My list of what I would feed is far shorter than what I wouldn't feed. I will, however, mention one food that I beg you not to feed.

Pedigree. Why this bother's me so much is because I have seen my mom raise dogs on this food-three that have died of cancer, one that is alive but has cancer. This food contains 'animal meat' which is basically mystery meat and 'animal byproducts' again.. what kind of animal? I would NEVER ever recommend anyone feed this brand and I would, in fact, beg anyone who is feeding it to switch to something else.

There are lots more brands I feel close to this way about-but this particular one hits close to home because my mom swears by it. (You would think she'd realize after what's happened.)

I think home cooking is as good as it gets-and there are lots of smers that home cook and can help you with it. I am still afraid to try it on my own, but one day, I think I might end up going that route.

There is a raw food diet, and I think it's much better than most kibbles out there but I am not 100% sold on it. Still, if it's something you want to do, I would consider it a wonderful choice. There are some here that go raw as well and you can do pre-made or home made.

My favorite kibble is Fromm. I also feed their wet food. I like freshpet, Acana, Ziwi Peak, Go!, redbarn, pinnacle. There are probably others I could add to this list but can't think of at the moment.

There are brands I approve of, and they wouldn't be my first choice but I certainly wouldn't frown on them. These would include Hills Science Diet and Royal Canin. I really believe these companies are careful with quality control and I, personally like the feeding trials and the research behind their prodcuts. I am not crazy about the ingredient list, but I feel they are still decent brands.

Honestly the only foods that would make me frown are bargain store brands, (pedigree) and many of the regular grocery store brands you find. Beneful, Old Roy, did I mention, Pedigree?

I am obsessed with dog food-because I love food for myself and I want my boys to enjoy theirs too. I watched a documentary recently on petfood. What do I want them to be eating? Juicy chunks of chicken breast, yummy steak, a nice fillet of fish. A documentary I watched recently, made me realize, even in the premium brands, when it says fish, it's probably fish heads. When it says chicken meat, its likely from the head and bits left over after human grade is taken. The more I research the more I realize, for them to get, what I really want them to have, I"m going to eventually have to home cook.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marti
Dog's Name: Tanner, Frankie, Jamie, Kelsey

Go to dogfoodadvisor.com & dogfoodanalysis.com, both will give you very good information.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tina
Dog's Name: Gidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I am obsessed with dog food-because I love food for myself and I want my boys to enjoy theirs too. I watched a documentary recently on petfood. What do I want them to be eating? Juicy chunks of chicken breast, yummy steak, a nice fillet of fish. A documentary I watched recently, made me realize, even in the premium brands, when it says fish, it's probably fish heads. When it says chicken meat, its likely from the head and bits left over after human grade is taken. The more I research the more I realize, for them to get, what I really want them to have, I"m going to eventually have to home cook.
Shelley, I could not agree with you more. If you do begin to homecook, I saw a video a vet spoke on once on the internet where the vet said if you homecook it is vital that you give your dog vitamins and supplements because we tend to cook them out of the food when we cook it, and at least they are added into the kibble. I give Lulu and Gidget a supplement called Nupro mainly for 2 reasons: 1. When I took them off ZP I could not get them to eat their Acana and they will eat anything with the Nupro on it because it taste like a liver gravy. 2. I just feel like it is an added boost of nutrition. I also give a chondroitin/glucosomine supp. My vet has a list of vit. & supp. he suggests that owners give their dogs. Now, with all that said, I do not give them all the vitamins and supplements on my vets list because I think too many vitamins is just as bad as not enough.

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminished." Dean Koontz
gidget'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ty I will go to those site. But has anyone heard of or tried chief Michaels?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

OK never mind about the Michael thing. The site didn't list any puppy food (dry that is) what would ya'll recommend?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Best Puppy Foods

Dog Food Advisor is a good starting point just to see what is out there!

I started out feeding Toki the Blue Buffalo chicken and oatmeal small breed puppy formula and switched her to the BB Wilderness for puppies. She did well on both formulas! She is 10 m/o now and on grain-free Fromm kibble and has a soft, shiny coat. Fromm's Four Star Nutritionals line is an all-life stages food and it's worth a try if it's available locally for you. I'm looking to try the Acana/Orijen next though!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also I'd stay far, far, far away from the Chef Michael's...I don't see anything redeeming about this food at all. It's very carb heavy (corn/wheat/soy) and has unidentified/generic animal fat/digest/by-product. There are a lot of better alternatives at a comparable price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement