So You Think You Can Avoid Pet Food Made in China? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Default So You Think You Can Avoid Pet Food Made in China?

More food for thought (pun intended):

"Back in 2007, the melamine that was poisoning dogs and cats was not added directly to the pet foods – it was found in the premix. The Chinese manufacturers added it to their premix to boost the protein content as cheaply as possible. Only when dogs and cats started dying – and the FDA was forced to begin testing the foods – did anyone become aware of the fact. What made the recall so large was that it wasn’t limited to a single food manufacturer. Because they nearly all must rely on premixes, a large number of pet food manufacturers that purchased the same premix were affected. What this means is that switching your pet from one food to another doesn’t necessarily mean you have made any difference at all if your new food purchases the same premix."

Dogs Naturally Magazine Think You Can Avoid Pet Foods Made In China? Think Again!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

I subscribe to Dog's Naturally too and love it. It's forcing me to dig deeper. I only carry 4 brands of food here at my store and so I've put a call in to all of them to ask some questions. I'm getting a call back from the nutritionist from Fromm's Family Food and am also waiting to get a call back from Addiction. I have however been able to get answers from Grandma Lucy's. This is what they told me about their Artisan and their Pureformance.

Absolutely every single ingredient in their food with the exception of their lamb is sourced and processed here in the USA. That includes their vitamins and minerals. Their lamb is sourced from New Zealand and processed here in the USA. None of their foods are irradiated. In their cat food and their fish treats, again it is all sourced and processed here in the USA and none of their fish is soaked in an STTP solution.

Whew! So far so good. I'm crossing my fingers and feeling really hopeful that Addiction will also be able to tell me the same thing. I'm guessing there will be something...like the vitamins....that Fromm's will have to tell me is from China since most are.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

Shoni has been on Nature's Variety Raw Frozen (mostly their chicken one) for at least 2 yrs. So far I haven't seen anything negative about it. Have you Crystal or Marj, or anyone who studies this issue of China ingredients?

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
I subscribe to Dog's Naturally too and love it. It's forcing me to dig deeper. I only carry 4 brands of food here at my store and so I've put a call in to all of them to ask some questions. I'm getting a call back from the nutritionist from Fromm's Family Food and am also waiting to get a call back from Addiction. I have however been able to get answers from Grandma Lucy's. This is what they told me about their Artisan and their Pureformance.

Absolutely every single ingredient in their food with the exception of their lamb is sourced and processed here in the USA. That includes their vitamins and minerals. Their lamb is sourced from New Zealand and processed here in the USA. None of their foods are irradiated. In their cat food and their fish treats, again it is all sourced and processed here in the USA and none of their fish is soaked in an STTP solution.

Whew! So far so good. I'm crossing my fingers and feeling really hopeful that Addiction will also be able to tell me the same thing. I'm guessing there will be something...like the vitamins....that Fromm's will have to tell me is from China since most are.
Good for you for digging deeper, Crystal! I just emailed Fromm's this morning with questions about the source of their fish.

Bottomline is that these suppliers don't have to disclose to the pet food companies where the fish is processed and since most are processed in China, I have a bad feeling about Fromm's also.

I may have to consider Grandma Lucy's now.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Patsy
Dog's Name: Jasmine, Isobella, Cassie and Roxane at the bridge

I sure hope you find out. I give the girls Fromm kibble and Stella and Chewy raw. I remember being totally disilusioned over this in 2007. Even the food recommended by lots of Vet's were contaminated.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Good for you for digging deeper, Crystal! I just emailed Fromm's this morning with questions about the source of their fish.

Bottomline is that these suppliers don't have to disclose to the pet food companies where the fish is processed and since most are processed in China, I have a bad feeling about Fromm's also.

I may have to consider Grandma Lucy's now.
Unfortunately mine won't eat Grandma Lucy's and i tried several flavors, let me tell you you can smell the garlic in it. I really wanted them to like it but not even the kids that are piggies wouldn't touch it and this went on for a couple of days. I hope there is something out there for my kids to eat. I honestly don't want to home cook, i tried that in the past and i really hate cooking.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Had a very long conversation with the nutritionist from Fromm's. Fromm's fish is sourced either here in the USA or in Canada. Absolutely everything from Fromm's is processed here. So no STTP with the fish. All of their ingredients come from either here in the US, Canada, France, New Zealand or Chili. There may be a few other European Countries they get some things from. But absolutely nothing, including the vitamins & minerals come from China. He was explaining that in Europe, their meat comes with a category 3 health certificate meaning that the animal is inspected both pre and post death. Wish we had that here in the US. None of their food is irradiated.

I'll probably hear back from Addiction tomorrow. They were able to tell me that their fish is sourced and processed in Canada and that none of their food is irradiated. I'm also thinking they told me that none of their ingredients come from China but I didn't write that down and I've had so many things going on today I don't trust my memory at the moment. I know the person I spoke to wasn't sure on the vitamins and she wanted to speak to their nutritionist to ensure she gave me correct answers. I feel pretty strongly that their answers will be the same as Grandma Lucy's and Fromm's. I'll be really surprised if I find out differently.

I also carry another brand of food that is not quite the same quality as the other 3 but is a darn good food for the price and is processed in a very small privately owned plant with strict quality control. It's not available in very many states. Just part of Indiana, Wisconsin and part of Illinois. They also have nothing in their food that is sourced or processed in China.

So far so good for what I stock!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Had a very long conversation with the nutritionist from Fromm's. Fromm's fish is sourced either here in the USA or in Canada. Absolutely everything from Fromm's is processed here. So no STTP with the fish. All of their ingredients come from either here in the US, Canada, France, New Zealand or Chili. There may be a few other European Countries they get some things from. But absolutely nothing, including the vitamins & minerals come from China. He was explaining that in Europe, their meat comes with a category 3 health certificate meaning that the animal is inspected both pre and post death. Wish we had that here in the US. None of their food is irradiated.

I'll probably hear back from Addiction tomorrow. They were able to tell me that their fish is sourced and processed in Canada and that none of their food is irradiated. I'm also thinking they told me that none of their ingredients come from China but I didn't write that down and I've had so many things going on today I don't trust my memory at the moment. I know the person I spoke to wasn't sure on the vitamins and she wanted to speak to their nutritionist to ensure she gave me correct answers. I feel pretty strongly that their answers will be the same as Grandma Lucy's and Fromm's. I'll be really surprised if I find out differently.

I also carry another brand of food that is not quite the same quality as the other 3 but is a darn good food for the price and is processed in a very small privately owned plant with strict quality control. It's not available in very many states. Just part of Indiana, Wisconsin and part of Illinois. They also have nothing in their food that is sourced or processed in China.

Awesome!!! Thanks, Crystal Now if all pet store/boutiques really went the extra mile like you to back up the products they sell... it'd be a very different world for pet lovers Or if all pet food companies really had the best interest of pets in mind...it'd be heaven!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

It's scary, they know we're looking out for the made in USA label.but you gotta watch to see if ingredients are imported. If the ingredients are imported but they manufacture it in the US it's harder to detect. You will see "Made in USA with imported ingredients" but you have to really hunt the labels to find it...
It helps to google it on a smart phone but even then, it can be ambiguous at best...
Also there are companies that send product to the US and have it repackaged to say "made in USA"...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:

Excellent work, Crystal! That is the same thing Fromm told me this morning.

I will stick with Fromm. It's what Josy recommended, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement