The Honest Kitchen - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Thanks ladies for the info! We received the 4oz trial sizes of Force and Embark today. I gave Obi some of the Force flavor. I did 1/8 cup dry + eyeballed the water until it was an oatmeal consistency. The problem last time I think was 1. Too much water and 2. Obi didn't like the Thrive flavor.

The result? He LoVED it! I put it over his kibble and he even ate the kibble that was underneath. I think I may do kibble in AM and THK in the PM once we gradually get his GI Tract used to it .

The Force flavor is 21% protein, 15%fat on dry matter basis and the Embark flavor is 29% protein and 18%. Both are grain free, human grade. Cage free, free range poultry with non-gmo produce!
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Also, I was thinking of transitioning him up to 1/4 cup per meal (this is equal to 4tbsp while dry) which is equal to 112-122 calories per 1/4 cup of food. Does this sound about right? Do your dogs seem full with that amount?

Aastha, this seems like how much Gustave gets in one meal (but he's a puppy still so I know you feed him three times a day).
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I increased his intake since I last posted this. I feel like I'm always shooting blind with his food intake but somehow he is at ideal weight so far.

I think for his age and weight we need to aim for 300ish kcals/day. He gets 1/4th cup Fromm kibble divided between lunch and dinner which is 100ish kcals.

Now he gets 1/4th cup Honest Kitchen (dry) mixed with equal parts water for breakfast, which should be 140 calories. That makes it 240 calories. He also gets plenty of treats everyday.

I really don't know if I'm feeding him the right amount. He isn't chubby and is growing at a good rate, so something's probably working. Please let me know if you guys see something off here.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Ordered some trial sizes today...wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I ordered a sample of the THK Preference and also a 2lb bag of Sojo's grain free since they didn't have samples to purchase but the bag was only $12.99 i prefer the mixes that you add your own protein. I love the Fromm but it just has too many ingredients for Chloe she does have some food allergies and she's been itching like crazy and Noelle is tear staining like crazy (she's never had a problem with tear staining even when teething). I did order California Natural the Venison grain free and Lamb grain free very limited ingredients and moderate protein and fat and that's what Chloe needs but when she poops it's very dry and sort of white in color so now i've been feeding one meal of California Natural with Pet Fresh Vital sprinkled on top and one meal of Pet Fresh Vital so that they have more moisture in their meals. I would continue with the Pet Fresh Vital but the store where i buy it from will no longer be carrying it and the other store is about an hour away so i bought the last 2 rolls the one store had. They all did so well on NB LID but with the sweet potatoes being more than likely from China, since when i called NB and spoke with a CSR and they wouldn't tell me the source from where the sp came from i wasn't willing to take a chance.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

Name: Mimi
Dog's Name: Daisy

I give Daisy the Honest Kitchen Force once a day. I use a 1/3 measuring cup and only fill it 3/4 full, then I add water a little at the time until I get the consistency of guacamole. If she digs at her bowl afterwards, then I give her some Fromm kibble. The other daily feeding I give about 1/4-1/3 c. of the Fromm. THK isn't messy if you don't make it watery. I think it is a good food and my dog loves it. One big box has lasted a long time.
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I think I spoke too soon! Obi still likes the Force flavor but only when it's not too watery and when it is cooled down. Also, he wants it in his little dish one or two spoonfuls at a time!!! Can we say Spoiled?!?! I'm going to try serving it cooled down tomorrow but all in one bowl and see how that goes :sheesh:

Poops are normal on it with an aggressive increase to 1/4cup dry THK (becomes more after water is added) for dinner. He gets Fromm 1/4 cup for breakfast.

Last edited by hoaloha; 01-09-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysugarbears View Post
I ordered a sample of the THK Preference and also a 2lb bag of Sojo's grain free since they didn't have samples to purchase but the bag was only $12.99 i prefer the mixes that you add your own protein. I love the Fromm but it just has too many ingredients for Chloe she does have some food allergies and she's been itching like crazy and Noelle is tear staining like crazy (she's never had a problem with tear staining even when teething). I did order California Natural the Venison grain free and Lamb grain free very limited ingredients and moderate protein and fat and that's what Chloe needs but when she poops it's very dry and sort of white in color so now i've been feeding one meal of California Natural with Pet Fresh Vital sprinkled on top and one meal of Pet Fresh Vital so that they have more moisture in their meals. I would continue with the Pet Fresh Vital but the store where i buy it from will no longer be carrying it and the other store is about an hour away so i bought the last 2 rolls the one store had. They all did so well on NB LID but with the sweet potatoes being more than likely from China, since when i called NB and spoke with a CSR and they wouldn't tell me the source from where the sp came from i wasn't willing to take a chance.
Debbie, let us know how Sojos and THK compare! And how do you figure out the right ratio of protein? I remember researching some old threads where Crystal had some conversion rate... I am interested in the Preference flavor but just want to make sure I'd be adding correctly.

Last edited by hoaloha; 01-09-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Ok, i've tried both THK Preference, just ordered a sample box so i only used it as a topper on the kibble and they really liked it. I didn't use the full amount of water that was recommended so it wouldn't be so soupy and so didn't have the really messy faces. I didn't really like the smell nor the looks of it, it's just so GREEN! I made some Sojo's Grain Free Fruits and Veggies yesterday and it's recommended to put in fridge o/n that way everything can rehydrate. I added the recommended amount of water and checked on how the food was rehydrating and i added a little more water. I read reviews where some didn't let it rehydrate enough and their pups were drinking quite a bit more water. The Sojo's looks and smells really good like a stew. I put some over their kibble for their breakfast and dinner and they hate really well except Noelle (i just think she didn't like how chunky it was, THK isn't really chunky). This weekend i'm going to go ahead run some of the dry food through a coffee grinder to see if that might appeal to Noelle better and mix with a protein. I'll report back as to how well the kids like the Sojo's when i add the protein and how well Noelle does with the food not being so chunky (she tends to be my pickier one).