Do you think this is good food? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
Shirley....that is a big bag of food. I don't know if you will be able to use it all before it expires. There are so many food choices it makes it difficult to choose one. There is a website called dogfoodadvisor.com and they list top foods and you can compare different brands.

I didn't know it was too big, but now I know for next time. I will definitely check out that website.
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

You know, you really have to dig deeper than ratings on places like dogfoodadvisor. They do a nice job on protein amount and ingredients. But you also have to take into consideration what breed you have as well as activity level to figure out if a higher protein food is really best for your fluff. Orijen and Acana and many of the freeze dried raw from Honest Kitchen are really very very high in protein. And often the higher rated foods have too high protein for Maltese. Also, you need to look into not only where ingredients are sourced, but where they are processed. A lot of companies are actually packaging up ingredients that are sourced in the USA or Canada and shipping to China to be processed. And then you need to find out if the brand of food you are interested in is doing irradiation Also, is that brand of food being processed in a large processing plant like Diamond Pet Foods? Not nearly the quality control that is there in the small, independently owned dog food companies.

And sadly, the majority of people that work at the big box stores like PetSmart know little to nothing about pet food, dog nutrition, or quality ingredients. And even less as to what type of food is best for your particular breed and activity level dog. That is why it's best to go to a locally owned specialty pet store if one is available.

Also, many holistic vets are encouraging you to rotate protein sources for a variety of reasons. To help deter dogs developing food allergies is one. Another is by switching it up you increase the likelihood of giving your dog a truly balanced diet. Say the one bag of food you are currently feeding is AFCO compliant but on the high end of calcium. Over time it could bring your dog's phosphorous level down to where it could even drop to below WNL's. So by grabbing a different bag the next time, there is a good chance that it may be lower in calcium. So by buying large bags of food and storing them may not be what you truly want to do unless you can store several formulas. It's easiest to stick with a brand of food that is designed to rotate like Fromm's Four Star. But with the help of an informed specialty pet store, you can even jump around to different brands without transitioning and worrying about tummy upsets. A really good reason to do this is you are helping to develop a really strong and healthy GI system so that your fluff doesn't get easily sick if he/she should eat something out of the ordinary for them.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
You know, you really have to dig deeper than ratings on places like dogfoodadvisor. They do a nice job on protein amount and ingredients. But you also have to take into consideration what breed you have as well as activity level to figure out if a higher protein food is really best for your fluff. Orijen and Acana and many of the freeze dried raw from Honest Kitchen are really very very high in protein. And often the higher rated foods have too high protein for Maltese. Also, you need to look into not only where ingredients are sourced, but where they are processed. A lot of companies are actually packaging up ingredients that are sourced in the USA or Canada and shipping to China to be processed. And then you need to find out if the brand of food you are interested in is doing irradiation Also, is that brand of food being processed in a large processing plant like Diamond Pet Foods? Not nearly the quality control that is there in the small, independently owned dog food companies.

And sadly, the majority of people that work at the big box stores like PetSmart know little to nothing about pet food, dog nutrition, or quality ingredients. And even less as to what type of food is best for your particular breed and activity level dog. That is why it's best to go to a locally owned specialty pet store if one is available.

Also, many holistic vets are encouraging you to rotate protein sources for a variety of reasons. To help deter dogs developing food allergies is one. Another is by switching it up you increase the likelihood of giving your dog a truly balanced diet. Say the one bag of food you are currently feeding is AFCO compliant but on the high end of calcium. Over time it could bring your dog's phosphorous level down to where it could even drop to below WNL's. So by grabbing a different bag the next time, there is a good chance that it may be lower in calcium. So by buying large bags of food and storing them may not be what you truly want to do unless you can store several formulas. It's easiest to stick with a brand of food that is designed to rotate like Fromm's Four Star. But with the help of an informed specialty pet store, you can even jump around to different brands without transitioning and worrying about tummy upsets. A really good reason to do this is you are helping to develop a really strong and healthy GI system so that your fluff doesn't get easily sick if he/she should eat something out of the ordinary for them.

I was also going to comment on the fact that Acana is pretty high protein for a maltese lap dog!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I didn't realize Champion Pet foods used irradiation, I just finished reading about the issue with the chat food they had a few years back. I'm not comfortable with the process, but I also read the same process is used on several of the fruits we purchase for ourselves. So I wonder how much food I eat that uses the same process.

I'm also puzzled why so many 'dog foodies' still recommend it as their first kibble choice. Interesting, I wonder if they still use this-I can't e mail them right now to find out as I'm at work. Anyone know for sure?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post

I will go to one of those local stores and ask them. I didn't know petsmart people know very little about the food. Do you know which foods are processed in China? I would like to avoid those brands.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post

I was also going to comment on the fact that Acana is pretty high protein for a maltese lap dog!

SO that means I shouldn't try Acana? Since the protein is too high for maltese.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Fromm makes a puppy Kibble.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

When I first researched foods I also found Orijen and Acana to be high in protein. I think they are good foods but didn't feel a Maltese would do good with it so I didn't use them. It is very hard to find a good food you trust.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would shoot for something around 22% protein--maybe w/high of 26 but lower preferred. JMHO
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Fromm makes a puppy Kibble.

I just checked it out on their website, Global pets sell them. I will definitely go and check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement