Do you think this is good food? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I didn't realize Champion Pet foods used irradiation, I just finished reading about the issue with the chat food they had a few years back. I'm not comfortable with the process, but I also read the same process is used on several of the fruits we purchase for ourselves. So I wonder how much food I eat that uses the same process.

I'm also puzzled why so many 'dog foodies' still recommend it as their first kibble choice. Interesting, I wonder if they still use this-I can't e mail them right now to find out as I'm at work. Anyone know for sure?
It's new news to many of us. As the tricky wording about ingredients being sourced in the USA or Canada. No one ever thought about them shipping ingredients to China to be processed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna123 View Post
I will go to one of those local stores and ask them. I didn't know petsmart people know very little about the food. Do you know which foods are processed in China? I would like to avoid those brands.
It's really hard. There aren't tons but they are out there. And sometimes you can find really unknown small company brands of foods that are made in your state or a neighboring state that isn't available nation wide that will fit that criteria for a good price. Such an example is American Naturals Premium. Not as many formulas to choose from, but you can throw it into your rotation to help keep cost down. I've only checked on the foods I carry so I know of at least 5. Not all will be easily found in every area. Probably the most common is Fromm's Four Star. If you're ok with a higher priced food and not a kibble (not my norm holistic vets first choice of foods) you can go with Grandma Lucy's which is freeze dried and you reconstitute with water. Or Addiction. It's pricey but top notch ingredients. If I remember, you're in Canada, right? If so, check out PetCurean's Now! formulas. I would not recommend you go with their Go! formula since it's designed for working dogs and has a really high protein amount. Petcurean is made in Canada. They do have to get one of their minerals from China. I have it written down at the store and I'm not there today. I think it's Taurine. But they do test it in a separate facility in Alberta prior to using it.

Quote:
SO that means I shouldn't try Acana? Since the protein is too high for maltese.
IMHO, yes...it's too high. Especially if you're feeding kibble. Way too taxing on the kidneys due to the lack of moisture. Even if your dog drinks tons of water, they simply can't drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in dry kibble.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Fromm makes a puppy Kibble.
Quote:
I just checked it out on their website, Global pets sell them. I will definitely go and check it out.
Stick with their Four Star Line. It's an ALL LIFE STAGES food and you can rotate then. Their life stages food, puppy - adult - senior, is in their Gold line which is not as good as their Four Star Line.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I would shoot for something around 22% protein--maybe w/high of 26 but lower preferred. JMHO

Ok I'll start to do that. The current food that I'm using is 28% crude protein. That is high than.
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Ok I'll start to do that. The current food that I'm using is 28% crude protein. That is high than.
Not necessarily. I think under 30% is ok for most Maltese. In fact my oldest and largest Maltese (Zoe) did not do well on food that was consistently at 22% and lower. But throw into the rotation some that are 26%, 28% and even 30% and she does much better. In fact I think all 3 of them do. Zoe is 8 lbs 13 oz., Jett is 5 1/2 lbs and Callie is 4 lbs.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

I have just started feeding fromm 4 star and am nearing the end of the game bird recipe maizy LOVES it!!! She is doing so well on it!! Next we are going to try the surf and turf!!

I have noticed that she is drinking ALOT more water than she used to , would this be caused by the change in food??? She never used to drink much water at all so im not complaining just wondering!!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
I have just started feeding fromm 4 star and am nearing the end of the game bird recipe maizy LOVES it!!! She is doing so well on it!! Next we are going to try the surf and turf!!

I have noticed that she is drinking ALOT more water than she used to , would this be caused by the change in food??? She never used to drink much water at all so im not complaining just wondering!!
What were you feeding prior? Was it canned? Something from a tub or a pouch? Or was it another dry kibble?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Not necessarily. I think under 30% is ok for most Maltese. In fact my oldest and largest Maltese (Zoe) did not do well on food that was consistently at 22% and lower. But throw into the rotation some that are 26%, 28% and even 30% and she does much better. In fact I think all 3 of them do. Zoe is 8 lbs 13 oz., Jett is 5 1/2 lbs and Callie is 4 lbs.

Oh okay, I guess I'm okay for now. I will start to rotate though
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
What were you feeding prior? Was it canned? Something from a tub or a pouch? Or was it another dry kibble?
It was another dry kibble Burns mini bites (uk)
Burns Mini Bites for Puppy 7.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery Burns Mini Bites for Puppy 7.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
It was another dry kibble Burns mini bites (uk)
Burns Mini Bites for Puppy 7.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

My guess is that it's due to the old food having very little meat. And probably even lower protein than the listed 21% once you remove the water from the chicken and fish. It would be an ideal diet for a dog with kidney/renal issues. So it wouldn't hurt to have a complete well check done on Maizy along with a CBC, Chem Screen and urinalysis just to be safe.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh gosh really!! She was only on the last food because thats what she came from the breeder with and i never changed her until i started this forum and found out more!!

I assumed like you said it was because the food is much better quality and more protein plus i have been off work for 2 weeks with her so have probably noticed alot more what she is drinking etc!