Do you think this is good food? - Page 5 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
Oh gosh really!! She was only on the last food because thats what she came from the breeder with and i never changed her until i started this forum and found out more!!

I assumed like you said it was because the food is much better quality and more protein plus i have been off work for 2 weeks with her so have probably noticed alot more what she is drinking etc!

LOL I'm changing soon too because of this forum!!!
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I e mailed Champion today to get clarification on the whole issue. I have people telling me, it was the Australian government that irradiated the food I have others saying it was Champion, I want decided to ask someone who should know for sure.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

It was Champion. Supposedly due to Australian importing regulations. However I'm not sure they don't use irradiation at lower levels in their food here in the US. After personally calling all the brands I carry, I found out several of them had at one point in time looked into using this technique as a quicker and lower cost method of killing off harmful bacteria and pathogens.

Is Your Pet’s Food Irradiated?
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #44 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
It's new news to many of us. As the tricky wording about ingredients being sourced in the USA or Canada. No one ever thought about them shipping ingredients to China to be processed.

It's really hard. There aren't tons but they are out there. And sometimes you can find really unknown small company brands of foods that are made in your state or a neighboring state that isn't available nation wide that will fit that criteria for a good price. Such an example is American Naturals Premium. Not as many formulas to choose from, but you can throw it into your rotation to help keep cost down. I've only checked on the foods I carry so I know of at least 5. Not all will be easily found in every area. Probably the most common is Fromm's Four Star. If you're ok with a higher priced food and not a kibble (not my norm holistic vets first choice of foods) you can go with Grandma Lucy's which is freeze dried and you reconstitute with water. Or Addiction. It's pricey but top notch ingredients. If I remember, you're in Canada, right? If so, check out PetCurean's Now! formulas. I would not recommend you go with their Go! formula since it's designed for working dogs and has a really high protein amount. Petcurean is made in Canada. They do have to get one of their minerals from China. I have it written down at the store and I'm not there today. I think it's Taurine. But they do test it in a separate facility in Alberta prior to using it.

IMHO, yes...it's too high. Especially if you're feeding kibble. Way too taxing on the kidneys due to the lack of moisture. Even if your dog drinks tons of water, they simply can't drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in dry kibble.

I looked on the dog advisor site and all the good brands that everyone here recomends have really high protein, like 30-38%. Brands like Fromm, Orijen, Acana....
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #45 (permalink)

Name: Theresa
Dog's Name: Riley
Thumbs up

I had Acana in my Yorkie, Riley's, rotation and he started having a strange reaction to the last bag of it. He started getting dark flakey spots on his tummy. Someone told me that Acana had changed their formula... !? He seems to be sensitive to a lot of things.

I switched Riley over to Grain Free Canine Caviar on August 2nd and he cleared up immediately and has been doing Awesome!! It's only taken two years but I have Finally Found His Food!!!!!
RileyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement