your thoughts on herbal suppliments - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean
Default your thoughts on herbal suppliments

As I'm looking at www.thehonestkitchen.com and waiting for our samples to see if the boys like it, I'm looking at the herbal suppliments they have on their site.

Pet Coat Health | Nutritional Supplement for Pets | Sparkle | The Honest Kitchen

I'm wondering how you all feel about adding things like this to a diet? I was considering doing it, however, if a diet is already balanced-is this stuff needed? Would you add in a little bit of something like this every day, or just a couple times a week?

If you think it's bad, want to know why-not to argue, I just really want to know how people feel about them, as I am undecided for lack of more knowledge at the moment hehe.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

hi Shelly,

I know this lady that uses the honest kitchen and herbal supplements. you could always email her. such a nice lady will give you alot of great advise. if you want here is her email mary@kazooticals.com
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barb
Dog's Name: Spookie

I don't use them for myself, and certainly wouldn't for a dog. To me they can range from useless to dangerous.

Think before you pink
Do you know how the money is spent?
spookiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Depends on what supplements you are looking at. You are correct that adding something like a multivitamin into a food that is already complete and balanced can throw a dog's levels off. I do feel that all healthy dogs, no matter how great of a food they are eating, can benefit from daily Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes, a good fish oil and an antioxidant. I also feel that our little Malts being prone to joint issues would benefit greatly from a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement as a preventive. I do have an article from veterinary orthoped on that subject at the store if anyone is interested. Other than that, I only think you should add specific supplements as needed such as an anti-inflammatory for stiff joints, or allergies, or something to help support a senior dog, etc...
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I wanted to believe in herbal supplements. I never found any noticeable benefit myself. I must have wasted hundreds or more on stuff that amounted to nothing. I do give my babies probiotics and plant enzymes...and I don't know if that is even worthwhile. I really can't say with any authority, but for me it is just a way for people to make money on our love of our pooches....and that is big money.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Depends on what supplements you are looking at. You are correct that adding something like a multivitamin into a food that is already complete and balanced can throw a dog's levels off. I do feel that all healthy dogs, no matter how great of a food they are eating, can benefit from daily Probiotics with Digestive Enzymes, a good fish oil and an antioxidant. I also feel that our little Malts being prone to joint issues would benefit greatly from a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement as a preventive. I do have an article from veterinary orthoped on that subject at the store if anyone is interested. Other than that, I only think you should add specific supplements as needed such as an anti-inflammatory for stiff joints, or allergies, or something to help support a senior dog, etc...
I agree with Crystal.

If your dog is young and healthy and gets a nutritionally complete diet, he doesn't need supplements.

Supplements for specific health issues are wonderful. They absolutely helped my Lady live to almost 16 years old in spite of all her serious health conditions.

It's very important that you consult with your vet before adding any supplements. Lady's vet also practiced holistic medicine and always recommended supplements in addition to prescription medication. Dr. Suzy always consulted her "book" to see what was recommended and make sure there would be no interactions.

When I see my own primary care doctor, I always have to bring all non-prescription medications (vitamins, OTC allergy medications etc.) with me for the same reason.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Food???

What do you think of Science Diet Small and Toy Breed dry kibble? The last time I went to PetsMart, for some reason, I got Science Diet instead of BilJac. For some reason, I felt the need to switch. No problems with the BilJac but that little voice inside my head said to switch. They seem to like it but do not eat as much as they did with the BilJac and I have noticed more waste than there used to be. So what do I do? Keep it or give it to the shelter? Thanks for the info..Abby
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I agree that if the dog is healthy and on a balanced diet they don't need supplements.

I use fresh fruits and veggies for treats... this gives them antioxidants and vitamins. I'd rather they get it from food than supplements.

Now -- Gus is on herbal supplements for his Colitis and his allergies.

Grace is on herbal supplements for her liver damage.

Both have been doing wonderfully on the natural treatments

I'm on many herbals myself. And I think what people forget is that all of those herbs have to go through the liver - it's the same for dogs. I always try to find naturals as they tend to be safer and have fewer and sometimes no side effects... but they do have to go through the liver.

So if they are healthy, I wouldn't give it to them.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Everyone has given great advice. If your not treating a specific ailment I don't think you should give supplements to a healthy dog.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement