Are we down right stupid to buy treats? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nida
Dog's Name: Emma Charlotte (CloudClan Maltese) and Bailey (Honorary Maltese)

Sylvia, I do see your point and agree to some degree...I feed Bailey a lot of fresh veggies, fruit and meat as treats and as part of his regular meals as well. Not because it's less expensive to do so, but because I feel that it's healthier. However, I'll admit to buying him treats as well. I've never thought about the price per pound but to me, a $5-10 bag of treats that will last Bailey a couple of months is not a big deal. Plus it's convenient if I need treats on the go, for his training classes, etc. I usually buy the dehydrated meat treats like this one made out of Wild Salmon.
Whole Life Pet Products

Around $6, USA-made, very healthy, just one ingredient, much more convenient than buying salmon and cooking it for Bailey, and this one bag would probably last him a month or two.

CloudClan I'll Be There For You - "Emma"
Honorary Maltese - Bailey

Follow us on Facebook: The Adventures of Bailey & Emma
Bailey&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Nida,

They get you, don't they? They sell you a little bag and we never do price per pound....

I think if your pup likes the treats, some are worth it. I did pick up a box of Zukes at the petsupply ...so they were about $6 cheaper there.... Grace does like those and they don't contain any animal products (most have chicken).... So those might be worth the expense.

But if that's the only treat I'm buying... to me that cost might be worth it. So I do see that

That is.... until I get a dehydrator LOL

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake

I have a friend who gives her dogs the plain unsalted saltines as a treat (she has 6 dogs. She had 7 until she had to put one down 2 weeks ago ). I never thought about alternatives to treats till I was reading this thread. Interesting stuff to think about.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Sylvia is right in a way but I don't think anyone thinks about the price per lb for treats when their buying it at the moment. Whenever I'm at the pet store I'm always looking for treats for my little one. Sometimes you just want to spoil them. $10-$20 a month for treats isn't too bad, we spend $20 easily anyways!
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

I'm with you, I would never pay that ridiculous amount for treats. I do the same thing you do for treats at our house..do they have "Fruitables" where you shop? This is a great choice for treats and I think around $2..made and sourced in the U.S.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Okay, that is only $16 dollars a pound. Again, how many foods do you buy for yourself that cost $16 dollars a pound? Two or three times a year I buy a rack of lamb that cost $17.99 a pound...for Easter or my darling's birthday.

What I am trying to say, is that if we look at the true value, we are being taken for fools to spend this much money for treats, when a piece of the chicken, steak, or lamb chops we had for dinner would be much more nutritious and delicious...

At $16 per pound soft Buddy biscuits are tapioca, a touch of peanut butter and a cute little shape that the dogs don't notice before they inhale it.

Just take it into consideration. That's all.

By the way, I don't buy treats. Occasionally when I eat Pepperidge Farm cookies he will get a cookie.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Chloe & Summer
Send a message via AIM to donnad

My boss just bought a dehydrator for me to make treats for his dog and mine...and better yet, he is paying for the ingredients so it isn't costing me a dime. I just made a batch of chicken and sweet potatoes for our dogs.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I don't spend tons of money on Zooey, but I don't mind paying $5-10 for a bag of treats (usually Zuke's) that will last a month... It's convenient, I can give her pills inside them, or drops of her calming oil on them. I also do feed fruits and veggies in small amounts for treats.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Well, if your treats last a month, that is no big deal. It isn't that I am against spending money on my dogs...lol you guys have talked me out of a couple of outrageous expenditures....it is that I think we are being taken. We all feel like our willingness to buy them any thing without regard to price speaks of how much we love them. The pet suppliers know this and use it.

Here is an what I mean. I buy these excellent human cookies once in a while. They are made with butter, eggs, nuts and Belgian chocolate. They are almost as good as home made. They are $6 for about 8 ounces.
But check this out:
Amazon.com: Zuke's Z-Filets High Protein Dog Treats, Grilled Chicken Recipe, 3-1/4-Ounce: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Zuke's Z-Filets High Protein Dog Treats, Grilled Chicken Recipe, 3-1/4-Ounce: Pet Supplies

I also love good imported cheese. Many of the ones I like are $17 a pound. I only buy this expensive cheese that I love when we are having company.
But...
Amazon.com: PureBites Cheddar Cheese Dog Treats, 16.6 oz: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: PureBites Cheddar Cheese Dog Treats, 16.6 oz: Pet Supplies

That's the only point I am making. If we compare the per pound price against our own "treats" the dogs' treats cost more.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey&Me View Post
Sylvia, I do see your point and agree to some degree...I feed Bailey a lot of fresh veggies, fruit and meat as treats and as part of his regular meals as well. Not because it's less expensive to do so, but because I feel that it's healthier. However, I'll admit to buying him treats as well. I've never thought about the price per pound but to me, a $5-10 bag of treats that will last Bailey a couple of months is not a big deal. Plus it's convenient if I need treats on the go, for his training classes, etc. I usually buy the dehydrated meat treats like this one made out of Wild Salmon.
Whole Life Pet Products

Around $6, USA-made, very healthy, just one ingredient, much more convenient than buying salmon and cooking it for Bailey, and this one bag would probably last him a month or two.
Nida, I clicked on the link. It was $14.99 for 2 ounces of the salmon treats.
Advertisement