Are we down right stupid to buy treats? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

I never really thought about it like that Sylvia...putting it in the perspective of cost per pound. Sheeesh, when you look at it that way, treats are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Dusty sez: Jeeze, tanks for nuttin' Auntie Sylie!! Now hers gonna give me yucky healfy stuff instead! I might jus quit peein' outsides! I don't wike out ders anyhow.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

GAH! 24 bucks for a bag of treats? I got a pound of zukes for 13 at our local petfood store.

But to answer your question, YES we are being ganked by pet treat makers! And yes, I pay the rediculous prices. Recently I started baking for the boys, but I don't always feel like baking.

Lets be honest though, we pay an obscene amount of money for the pet foods we buy too. Really? Does a pound of dog food need to cost that much? And as good as the ingredients look, we all know that the vast majority of pet food makers are going to cut corners where they can.

Yes we are being ripped off, but... I continue to pay the prices... so, it's not going to stop.

You all have given some very good, healthy and much less expensive ideas for treats though, I like the cheerios idea.
Things like The Honest Kitchen, I understand why it's so flippin expensive-they have their certifications and run in a human food processing plant and create foods that are 100% human grade and paid money so they could get certified to say that.... but I'm sure they make a decent profit too, at least, I hope they do.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I don't buy Tyler much of anything else. No expensive beds or clothes or leashes or houses or toys or really anything. He sleeps in a $5 cat bed and loves it. And I cook all his food so my splurge is the one and only treat he really likes USA sourced and manufactured chicken jerky. He loves them and only eats a few 1" pieces a day as a reward for good behavior. It does cost a lot but I'd rather spend more on that than cheaper crap from China treats. I have been dehydrating chicken lately (especially because of superstorm Sandy) but then it's more work for me too so I like to give myself a little break. Treats are the one thing that makes him happy -- so many of the other frills are what make us happy so I really don't mind it and would prefer to keep USA businesses selling safe products made here in business!! JMO.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
I never really thought about it like that Sylvia...putting it in the perspective of cost per pound. Sheeesh, when you look at it that way, treats are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

That is my point. But I also get it when people say that that $10 bag of treats last a month. That is a different perspective and quite valid.

Dusty sez: Jeeze, tanks for nuttin' Auntie Sylie!! Now hers gonna give me yucky healfy stuff instead! I might jus quit peein' outsides! I don't wike out ders anyhow.
Don't worry, Dusty...I convinced your mommy that she should just buy you filet mignon and wild salmon. You'll like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
GAH! 24 bucks for a bag of treats? I got a pound of zukes for 13 at our local petfood store.

But to answer your question, YES we are being ganked by pet treat makers! And yes, I pay the rediculous prices. Recently I started baking for the boys, but I don't always feel like baking.

Lets be honest though, we pay an obscene amount of money for the pet foods we buy too. Really? Does a pound of dog food need to cost that much? And as good as the ingredients look, we all know that the vast majority of pet food makers are going to cut corners where they can.

I just don't understand why top quality gourmet human food costs less.

Yes we are being ripped off, but... I continue to pay the prices... so, it's not going to stop.

You all have given some very good, healthy and much less expensive ideas for treats though, I like the cheerios idea.
Things like The Honest Kitchen, I understand why it's so flippin expensive-they have their certifications and run in a human food processing plant and create foods that are 100% human grade and paid money so they could get certified to say that.... but I'm sure they make a decent profit too, at least, I hope they do.
I recently vowed to by only pet foods that are made in USA (or Australia as Zukes.) even though it costs more. It just costs SO MUCH more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I don't buy Tyler much of anything else. No expensive beds or clothes or leashes or houses or toys or really anything. He sleeps in a $5 cat bed and loves it. And I cook all his food so my splurge is the one and only treat he really likes USA sourced and manufactured chicken jerky. He loves them and only eats a few 1" pieces a day as a reward for good behavior. It does cost a lot but I'd rather spend more on that than cheaper crap from China treats. I have been dehydrating chicken lately (especially because of superstorm Sandy) but then it's more work for me too so I like to give myself a little break. Treats are the one thing that makes him happy -- so many of the other frills are what make us happy so I really don't mind it and would prefer to keep USA businesses selling safe products made here in business!! JMO.
Sue, you are totally exempt from my rave. Every dog I have ever had would be happy to eat a stone, if I gave it to them. Tyler, isn't so food crazy, so anything that makes him happy is a good thing. Have you tried rack of lamb? I'm a picky eater and I love it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I bought a box of mini milkbones which my daughter says suck. So, I'm going to buy the Blue Buffalo dog treats for her. She only gets them occasionally.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

Mine get little treats every day but I guess if you priced them by the pound they'd be expensive. But I figure they only get one treat out of maybe three or four bags so it's not really that expensive. A small bag of Buddy treats is about $8 but it lasts them a good month so the break down isn't that expensive. I do it because they sooo love the treats, more than a little nibble of kibble or a bite of human food.
Small price to pay to see them get so excited they can't contain themselves...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Rylee's most favorite treat in the world is Merrick Bite Size Lamb Training Treats. The bag says made in Texas and Protein is 76%. I do not know how much I paid for them but they last way longer than a month. I just got the bag out to make this post and she is looking at me expecting something soon.

She loves lettuce, peas, broccoli, apple, and carrots are her favorite. I have to be careful with the carrots because if she eats too many she will throw up. As it is her poop comes out orange because of the carrots. Lucky for me that she does not like spinach because I eat that daily.

Last edited by Deborah; 01-03-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: not finished with post
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I totally understand. Treats are something special -...like a special pie to us. All I meant to say was that...hey, they are robbing us blind. Shoulder shrug.So be it. I don't care. Well not right now anyway. My kids are happy with a piece of broccoli, apple, oooo meat, whatever, so I can't judge what makes a happy fluff. All that matters is a happy fluff.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

I was big on buying treats for Cici, especially since we train a lot and she's not crazy about her food, most of the time she doesn't want it so I don't use it as treats. But I've calmed down about it and mostly use stuff at home, but I also started buying dog food that comes in a sausage type package, forgot what it's called, natural something, and it's lasted me 2 months so far and still have a big chunk left for 2-3 weeks more. It was around $12 I believe. The thing is I give Cici very tiny tiny pieces, that is why treats last so long for us, and she loves it so during training she really pays attention. I also use Cheerios and cheddar cheese for treats, so I alternate between them. I used to buy 4oz bags of freeze dried chicken or cheese for around $4-$5 and the bag would last me over a month. I never ever give her the full piece of treat, not even the buddy biscuit ones shaped like little gingerbread men (those I can make into 6 pieces, separating the arms, legs, head and body).

I give her fruits and veggies too, but I don't use them as treats for training.

Once in a while I'll go to the doggy bakery and get her some of their homemade treats, and a 25 cent treat lasts her 2 days, I think that's pretty good .

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #40 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Sir Henry Von Barkingsworth III

We don't have any kids so I don't mind springing for buddy biscuits and toys and whatnot. If we were strapped for money, I might cut back a little on treats, but my little guy is so good he deserves them.
Mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement