Are we down right stupid to buy treats? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Default Are we down right stupid to buy treats?

Okay, I don't buy treats for my kids. For training I just use their kibble. For something really special, or just to make them happy, I just give them meat, vegetables or fruit. But, I have been shopping for treats for our buddies. Treats or toys are the only things that will really be a joy for our buddies...clothes, bows, other stuff is not going to rock their world.

But, I just can't do it. The average price for decent treats is twenty four dollars a pound. Now, how often do you spend twenty four dollars a pound for food? That is the price for prime filet mignon from my butcher. It is a special treat for us humans on a birthday or special occasion. I really can not see why pet treats, the main ingredient being tapioca should cost so much. It is insane. It is as if we have a great big S for sucker on our forehead. Dip your finger in a jar of peanut butter and let your fluff lick it. Give them some yam, a bite of apple, or as some sophisticated Greek fluffs...a sprig of watercress. But don't let "them" manipulate you into spending more money than you normally pay for food for virtually worthless "treats" for the kids.

Sorry buddies, no store bought treats from this aunty.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

I'm not sure where your looking at treats. Though I don't buy a pound of treats at a time, the ones I do buy for Sophie have top ingredients, is made in the USA, and the ones she loves right now are also organic. They're training treats that are still a little big for her mouth, so I break them up into 4s and she loves them, they're also only half a calorie for 1 treat and I think the bag was $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAndSophiePup View Post
I'm not sure where your looking at treats. Though I don't buy a pound of treats at a time, the ones I do buy for Sophie have top ingredients, is made in the USA, and the ones she loves right now are also organic. They're training treats that are still a little big for her mouth, so I break them up into 4s and she loves them, they're also only half a calorie for 1 treat and I think the bag was $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Okay, I want to see what you found. I'm talking about...for instance Zukes treats, or Buddy soft biscuits...from Amazon.

Ashley, that link didn't send me to food...just the app.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Sylvie, i have no idea where you where looking for treats that cost $24 a pound. There are a couple of treats that have good ingredients that aren't that much such as Wagatha's Welcome to Wagatha's and Sojo's Raw Pet Food | Grain Free Pet Food | All Natural Pet Food from Sojos and then there's Cloudstar Buddy Biscuits http://www.cloudstar.com/prodcat/dog-treats.asp or to make it special you could make some nice healthy treats for your SS.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

We only do fruits and veggies for treats. Peanut butter is our "WOW" treat

Treats are expensive.... Luckily our buddies wanted mostly toys I hit some sales and a pet supply store (giant warehouse that you have to go and get them out of the boxes yourself) that sells them at wholesale prices.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I like buying treats for Gustave, I don't look at the price, only ingredients. I know I'm stupid. But then I'm stupid about a lot of stuff. I buy an expensive Coach bag knowing there is no way the net worth of all the material + labor/manufacturing is as much as the bag's price but it makes me happy. Similarly, buying treats for Gustave makes me happy. He does not love his kibble as much as he loves treats.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Okay, I want to see what you found. I'm talking about...for instance Zukes treats, or Buddy soft biscuits...from Amazon.

Ashley, that link didn't send me to food...just the app.
Yeah, that link automatically posts when I'm on my phone.

Pet Botanics® Mini Training Rewards for Dogs - Treats & Rawhide - Dog - PetSmart

These are the treats I get for Sophie, and she goes coo coo crazy over them, which i don't mind because I know they're pretty good for her too and not high in calories. Plus they're made in the US and that's a bonus for me! It does look like its gone up a dollar, but I feel its still a much better price than $24 and its also good for pets who have food allergies because there's no wheat, corn or soy in them

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysugarbears View Post
Sylvie, i have no idea where you where looking for treats that cost $24 a pound. There are a couple of treats that have good ingredients that aren't that much such as Wagatha's Welcome to Wagatha's and Sojo's Raw Pet Food | Grain Free Pet Food | All Natural Pet Food from Sojos and then there's Cloudstar Buddy Biscuits CloudStar.com - WAG MORE BARK LESS or to make it special you could make some nice healthy treats for your SS.
Okay, that is only $16 dollars a pound. Again, how many foods do you buy for yourself that cost $16 dollars a pound? Two or three times a year I buy a rack of lamb that cost $17.99 a pound...for Easter or my darling's birthday.

What I am trying to say, is that if we look at the true value, we are being taken for fools to spend this much money for treats, when a piece of the chicken, steak, or lamb chops we had for dinner would be much more nutritious and delicious...

At $16 per pound soft Buddy biscuits are tapioca, a touch of peanut butter and a cute little shape that the dogs don't notice before they inhale it.

Just take it into consideration. That's all.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAndSophiePup View Post
Yeah, that link automatically posts when I'm on my phone.

Pet Botanics® Mini Training Rewards for Dogs - Treats & Rawhide - Dog - PetSmart

These are the treats I get for Sophie, and she goes coo coo crazy over them, which i don't mind because I know they're pretty good for her too and not high in calories. Plus they're made in the US and that's a bonus for me! It does look like its gone up a dollar, but I feel its still a much better price than $24 and its also good for pets who have food allergies because there's no wheat, corn or soy in them
Here we go again. Contains sucrose. No dog on earth needs to ingest extra fruit sugar. So, it is true that there are inexpensive treats out there, but no, we don't want to feed those. Honey, I don't think that Sophie will benefit from those treats. A bite of chicken, a lick of peanut butter, a small piece of yam, any healthful foods you eat would be better. She goes crazy for these threats, but that does't mean they are good for her...lots of people go crazy for potato chips...doesn't mean it is good for them.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have to check out now...gotta make dinner and stuff. Please do not think I am ignoring any replies you may post. Perhaps we can continue what I think is an important conversation tomorrow?
Advertisement