Duck or chicken? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo
Default Duck or chicken?

Hi everyone,

I did a lot of research and read a lot here about Fromm and I decided to switch. I'm going to buy it on the weekend, I already went into the store yesterday just to check it out and asked them a few questions.

What flavor do you think I should get, duck or chicken? The person at the store also told me that some maltese are allergic to chicken or it might give them skin irritations. Does anyone experience this?

Also, since I'm switching foods, she says I should mix the new ones with old ones so that my dog won't have upset stomach or a big shock. How many days do you think I should be mixing the foods for?
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I kinda feel like true allergies in dogs are few and far between and we have a habit of using it because we don't know what else to say-sometimes it's a combo of foods or just a mild sensativity. Ex-I am not allergic to onions, but I am sensitive to them and sometimes they kill my tummy.

Is your dog allergic to chicken? If not, shouldn't be an issue. I believe what use to happen-is most dog foods were chicken based, dogs ate only chicken based dog foods and over time (years) developed allergies. If you are rotating formulas with each bag, shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I kinda feel like true allergies in dogs are few and far between and we have a habit of using it because we don't know what else to say-sometimes it's a combo of foods or just a mild sensativity. Ex-I am not allergic to onions, but I am sensitive to them and sometimes they kill my tummy.

Is your dog allergic to chicken? If not, shouldn't be an issue. I believe what use to happen-is most dog foods were chicken based, dogs ate only chicken based dog foods and over time (years) developed allergies. If you are rotating formulas with each bag, shouldn't be an issue.
I don't think he is allergic to chicken, his current food has chicken. I guess your right, I will be rotating different flavors, hopefully he'll eat the ones I get.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

I rotate through the different proteins but, i do have one that is allergic to all poultry not just chicken, if it has feathers she's allergic to it.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

As for how to transition from what you are feeding, I tell customers to give 1/4 of the meal the new food and 3/4 of the meal their old food for 2-3 days, then go 50/50 for 2-3 days, then 3/4 of the meal the new food to 1/4 of the meal their old food for 2-3 days until you are fully switched over. If ever loose stools start to develop, just back it off to the previous ratio for a few more days. Once you are fully on any formula of the Four Star Line in Fromm's, you can rotate without transitioning since that's what it's designed for.
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I finally switched to Fromm the duck and sweet potato one and he LOVES it!!! He would lick the bowl after and his lips like he wants more. I guess he didn't like the Nutro Ultra that I been feeding him since July cause he barely eats half of the amount I give him but I'm so glad he eats all his food without me trying to force him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement