How much do you feed your fluffs? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Default How much do you feed your fluffs?

When I took Violet to the vets yesterday, she was concerned about her weight. I feed mine twice a day. I started Fromm a couple months ago and all three have gained weight. Violet is a bigger Yorkie(8pounds) even though her parents were smaller, the vet said that's a good weight for her. She said to give her 1/3 cup of food a day, and only vegetables for treats. does that seem right? It doesn't seem like much food, but I know I have to cut the food back.The Yorkies are little pigs, always scouring for crumbs and food. I have to sit with the Malts when they eat or the Yorkies would steal it!!Violet gained a whole pound!!!She's getting a wide behind!!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Which Fromm four-star flavor do you feed? The website is great- shows you all of the nutrition contents of each flavor. Some flavors have more fat percentage than others. The whitefish/potato flavor is the lowest in calories and overall fat- maybe Violet can try that one.

http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/dog

Obi is about 5.5 pounds (sometimes more) but pretty slender. He eats 1/2 cup per day of Fromm Four Star (currently getting a 50/50 mix of Game Bird recipe and Pork&Applesauce). He gets 1/4 cup for breakfast and 1/4 cup for dinner. He is 1.5 years old and fairly active. He usually gets vegetables and cheerios as his treats, sometimes chicken breast. I usually top his food with veggies or a small amount of cooked oatmeal. I think having low-cal treats really helps prevent weight gain too since those are usually calories that are overlooked.

Last edited by hoaloha; 11-27-2012 at 09:29 AM.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Toki & Teddy

I used to feed Toki 1/2 cup each day of the grain-free Fromm and it was entirely too much! She went from around 9 pounds up to a solid 10 and the vet said that we needed to trim her down, especially due to hip issues. She now weighs around 8.8 pounds, largely as a result of me cutting back her food.

To get her weight down, we used about 1/2 cup of a 360 calorie food daily but when I transition Toki back to the GF Fromm (around 400-410 calories per cup), I will probably feed something closer to 1/3 cup to maintain her weight (this is based also on her activity level which is somewhat limited after her FHO surgery until we get the okay from the vet to increase the intensity and frequency ).

I agree with you that 1/3 cup seems like such a small amount of food though! But following the feeding guidelines or close to the guidelines on the back of the bag caused Toki to chunk up. And yes! Yorkies are total piglets! When we go back home to my parents', Toki always tries to hoover up any kibble that has been left unattended haha
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Which Fromm four-star flavor do you feed? The website is great- shows you all of the nutrition contents of each flavor. Some flavors have more fat percentage than others. The whitefish/potato flavor is the lowest in calories and overall fat- maybe Violet can try that one.

Four-Star Gourmet Recipes for dogs - Fromm Family Foods

Obi is about 5.5 pounds (sometimes more), and eats 1/2 cup per day of Fromm Four Star (currently getting a 50/50 mix of Game Bird recipe and Pork&Applesauce). He gets 1/4 for breakfast and 1/4 cup for dinner. He is 1.5 years old and fairly active. He usually gets vegetables and cheerios as his treats, sometimes chicken breast. I usually top his food with veggies or a small amount of cooked oatmeal.
I rotate the Fromm . Right now it's Salmon Tunalini. I'll check out the website. I've been so concerned about the protein , never really thought about the calories. Thanks!!the 1/3 cup sounds right. Since it's gotten cold they haven't been as active.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Wow 1/3 cup a day seems so little and veggie treats . I just started to feed Boo Fromm too but I give him almost a full bowl which is 250ml 2 times a day......
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Maizy has also put on weight since switching her to Fromm we are currently on surf and turf! I feed 1/2 a cup in total and feed twice a day too!

I brought this up on another discussion and have decided to do just a little under 1/4 in the morn and eve and cut down on the treats!!

I too was going to say we are out less walking because the weather isnt good so that probably isnt helping carrying a few winter pounds!!!

Funny that a few of us have noticed a weight gain since switching to Fromm!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Hi all , we'll was wondering if anyone can help ,my Albert I weighed him today and he is 9lbs .. It must be the treats as he doesn't eat all that much dry food .. Is this too heavy for a 5 mth Maltese boy or will he lose the puppy fat ? X
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Snuggles, our Yorkie was over eight pounds and Chrissy our Malt was over 8 as well. Too heavy for my and our Vet's liking. We switched to the Blue Buffalo maintenance formula for a while and their weight seemed to go down to a better weight. However, our Chrissy tends to put it on so I will be switching her back to the maintenance formula for a little bit. They are both eating 1/4 cup in AM and PM of BB Longevity which has less protein than other varities.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzodolly View Post
Hi all , we'll was wondering if anyone can help ,my Albert I weighed him today and he is 9lbs .. It must be the treats as he doesn't eat all that much dry food .. Is this too heavy for a 5 mth Maltese boy or will he lose the puppy fat ? X
Is he a cross breed or pure maltese, 9lbs does seem a little heavy at 5 months but that doesnt mean anything some stop growing earlier, some are a little heavier...more to love
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
Maizy has also put on weight since switching her to Fromm we are currently on surf and turf! I feed 1/2 a cup in total and feed twice a day too!

I brought this up on another discussion and have decided to do just a little under 1/4 in the morn and eve and cut down on the treats!!

I too was going to say we are out less walking because the weather isnt good so that probably isnt helping carrying a few winter pounds!!!

Funny that a few of us have noticed a weight gain since switching to Fromm!
We haven't been walking much either, only for potty LOL it's 0 degree's here and it's only the beginning of Winter and it'll be my first Winter with Boo. It's going to be tough. Wow I guess Boo will gain weight too since I just switched to Fromm too
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement