How to make your puppy eat? - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
I hope Albert feels better soon Tummy bugs can make them feel yuck... just like when you have the stomach flu - you don't want to eat. Hope he gets better soon.

As far as hand feeding -- It won't spoil your pup. It is actually a great bonding tool. You become the "giver of all good things". It takes trust for a dog to eat out of your hand.

You switched foods for Boo ... and he ate great for a few weeks? Then stopped? .... Could it be food allergies? Does he have any other signs - runny nose, itching, red ears or anus, poop changes, red rimmed eyes, feel hotter in general? - Sometimes it takes awhile for these things to develop.

Some does may prefer smaller meals more often. So that is something to consider.

I labeled Grace as a "picky eater".... but the fact is she is not. She simply will not eat things that will make her sick. So no matter how long it's been since she has eaten if I put something down that she knows will make her sick, she won't eat it.

So that's a thought. Are there any common ingredients from your last food and this new food?

Wow and all this time I thought hand feeding was bad, I will hand feed sometimes just for him to trust me more . I switched from Nutro to Fromm and he ate everything in the bowl for a week and just friday he started to eat half only and we would have to hand feed or spread it all over the floor. I never thought he would eat it like that but he does! But it's so much work just to get him to eat! He has no signs, he's still very hyper and playful . No new ingredients except the meat, I bought the duck flavor since he loves the duck treats.

Wow Grace is very smart! That's not picky, what a smarty pants! She knows what makes her sick. I don't think Boo would know.....
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna123 View Post
After I switched to Fromm food, he's been eating everything in the bowl for the first week. Now he's going back to what he normally does, eat half the bowl and after that we have to follow him everywhere and lay the food on the floor or hand feed him than he'll eat it. Any tips or ideas of how to make him eat all his food?
My wee pup does this ALOT. We usually leave it and he goes back and picks at it until it's finished. He eats very little when i'm out through the day and my bf has to hand feed him to get him to eat something. We also add water to his wet food but that's because he won't drink any water on it's own either - talk about fussy.
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Guess what Alberts just eaten a bowl of chicken breast and rice and he's started back on his water I'm soooo happy !!!! Xx
Lynzodolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna123 View Post
Wow and all this time I thought hand feeding was bad, I will hand feed sometimes just for him to trust me more . I switched from Nutro to Fromm and he ate everything in the bowl for a week and just friday he started to eat half only and we would have to hand feed or spread it all over the floor. I never thought he would eat it like that but he does! But it's so much work just to get him to eat! He has no signs, he's still very hyper and playful . No new ingredients except the meat, I bought the duck flavor since he loves the duck treats.

Wow Grace is very smart! That's not picky, what a smarty pants! She knows what makes her sick. I don't think Boo would know.....
Hand feeding is great, especially for frightened dogs. For those who adopt an adult or older puppy, it is good to hand feed them for awhile. It helps build the trust and show them you give them good positive things. Especially for those who may come from backgrounds with abuse.

Our vet says that animals are very intuitive. She had me keep a diary of foods Grace refused, and it became a pattern. She would often refuse meat, or only take 1-2 bites then walk away. Meat for dogs with liver problems is not good... so she knew it made her feel lousy. I thought she was picky... what kind of dog turns away from meat?? Who knew, right?

I tend to respect my dogs more now... if they don't want something I leave it alone. If they don't eat it within a certain time frame, I will offer something else. If they don't want to greet someone... I don't make them. They are very intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzodolly View Post
Guess what Alberts just eaten a bowl of chicken breast and rice and he's started back on his water I'm soooo happy !!!! Xx
Yay! I'm glad he ate Keep it slow for a few days.... Hope he continues on the road to recovery.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks so so much for your advice he's like a hungry hippo ... X
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I added some water to Gucci's and she does seem to eat it a bit faster, since it's softer. But, the best idea I have found is adding a tiny bit of wet food on top of the kibble. She will , OBVIOUSLY, eat all of that...and then will eat a lot more of the kibble!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Another great idea !! Do you think if I fed Albert a handful of kibble and chicken and rice everyday would be enough supplements he needs ? X
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Lyndsy --

No.

If you want to switch him to semi-home cooked I'd suggest getting him onto a multivitamin or a supplement powder you mix into the rice and chicken to make it more complete.....

And if you are going to do that, you may want to add in some veggies - green beans, carrots, etc.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thank you tori that's great I will see about getting a good vitamin supplements then , he does enjoy carrots and fruit .. He loved the chicken and rice tonight he's sleeping like a baby right now and had a good drink of water what a relief xx
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I added some water to Gucci's and she does seem to eat it a bit faster, since it's softer. But, the best idea I have found is adding a tiny bit of wet food on top of the kibble. She will , OBVIOUSLY, eat all of that...and then will eat a lot more of the kibble!

I added a bit of warm water to his kibbles and it works, he ate it all . Good idea that you had!
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement