Alternatives to greenies? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
eiksaa's Avatar
 
Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default Alternatives to greenies?

So greenies are bad, got that from reading this forum. Are there any other alternatives for dental chews? I give Gustave bully sticks and antlers already but I was wondering if the other brands out there are any better than greenies. Like Z-bones? Anyone tried those?
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 9,267
Default

I am at a loss myself. Recently, I have found Get Naked. At least they are tested to be totally digestible. My dogs love them.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kingsport TN
Posts: 715
Default Greenies?

What is wrong with Greenies? I have given my furbabies the tiny ones. I'm not crazy about the green color but is there something I should know about them?
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
hoaloha's Avatar
 
Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,446
Default

I use CET dental chews and CET Hextra dental chews. They don't last very long but help clean the teeth It's much cheaper on amazon.com than any store I've seen. I'd be careful with Antlers-- they are VERY hard and can cause dental fractures on small teeth of toy breed dogs. I've also used bright bites (?) which is shaped like a star but found that Obi sometimes will swallow big pieces instead of chewing- I will give them to him now only by holding it in my hand and letting him gnaw on it instead.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
eiksaa's Avatar
 
Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
I use CET dental chews and CET Hextra dental chews. They don't last very long but help clean the teeth It's much cheaper on amazon.com than any store I've seen. I'd be careful with Antlers-- they are VERY hard and can cause dental fractures on small teeth of toy breed dogs. I've also used bright bites (?) which is shaped like a star but found that Obi sometimes will swallow big pieces instead of chewing- I will give them to him now only by holding it in my hand and letting him gnaw on it instead.
Thanks for the suggestions and the tip about antlers. I'll keep that in mind,
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Zoe's Mom88's Avatar
 
Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 5,479
Default

I also have CET dental chews. Zoe seems to like them.....not too often though, she is quite fussy.
__________________
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
eiksaa's Avatar
 
Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
What is wrong with Greenies? I have given my furbabies the tiny ones. I'm not crazy about the green color but is there something I should know about them?
I've heard dogs having digestion problems from them. No personal experience though.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kingsport TN
Posts: 715
Default

Oh..Ok.. They have not had any problems but then again, I think Daisy has a cast iron stomach. I haven't found anything she would not eat and she has found some things that she shouldn't eat. The latest being her toothbrush. It was laying on the bathroom sink and I guess one of the cats knocked it off. She came through the hall with her little tail flying and her toothbrush stuck in her mouth like she had just brushed!!! Too cute but that is her last one. She has chewed the others!!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kingsport TN
Posts: 715
Default

I have a question---- Do you really give your furbabies dried bull penises? I just can't get past what it is!!!!!!!!!!! I am so careful about what I give my fur children--no chicken fillers-being ground up feathers, feet, beaks, etc--no raw meat,---nothing I would not eat. I won't even let them have pigs ears, hoofs or rawhide. Help me understand why they even make these things. Talk about not wasting anything.....
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
eiksaa's Avatar
 
Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
I have a question---- Do you really give your furbabies dried bull penises? I just can't get past what it is!!!!!!!!!!! I am so careful about what I give my fur children--no chicken fillers-being ground up feathers, feet, beaks, etc--no raw meat,---nothing I would not eat. I won't even let them have pigs ears, hoofs or rawhide. Help me understand why they even make these things. Talk about not wasting anything.....
Haha, yes. I am not squeamish about these things. I did a lot of research and seems like bully sticks are not unhealthy for dogs(unlike other things you mentioned). That's the only thing I care about.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum