Help!! What brand of dog food should I get?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tennille
Dog's Name: Eli
Question Help!! What brand of dog food should I get??

My goodness. Who knew making the decision on a brand of dog food would be so confusing??? The amount of dog food out there is a little overwhelming.
Some of the brands suggested had protein of 47%... but I read that around 24% is ideal. Are Grains okay or grain-free?
I've been looking into:
Fromm, Acana & Wellness
Little Eli's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I do homecook for Zoe but on when I don't have enough time I use Fromm wet food. I think it is one of the better foods with a reasonable amount of protein.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I use Fromm and Earthborn Holistic, and a little Fresh Pet I would start with what the breeder is using and gradually add your brand to it, until you're feeding all your brand.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Kelly
Dog's Name: Magnolise Avec Bravissimo

...and just to round thing out and make the decision more difficult....I feed Acana Wild Prairie.

The amount of protein seemed appropriate and not too high (24% I believe), and he seems to be doing very well on it....and he's a pretty fussy eater.

I had the same dilemma as you...it's not easy, for sure! But there are many healthy solutions to choose from - much more than 20 years ago!!

Good luck!! I bet you'll do great!

I actually have a Papillon puppy...but I joined this message board to get great grooming, nutritional, general toy-breed tips......and all the great people!!
Avec Bravissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Toki & Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Eli's Mommy View Post
My goodness. Who knew making the decision on a brand of dog food would be so confusing??? The amount of dog food out there is a little overwhelming.
Some of the brands suggested had protein of 47%... but I read that around 24% is ideal. Are Grains okay or grain-free?
I've been looking into:
Fromm, Acana & Wellness
My sister's yorkie is doing really well on the grain-free Acana Regionals line. Toki is currently on Fromm and we just stocked up during their Black Friday sale. I tend to stick to grain-free formulas but sometimes rotate in a grain-inclusive formula. You'll have to go through some trial and error to find out what your dog thrives on I also tend to go for kibble formulas with between ~25% and ~30%. It's easy to get hung up on the microscopic details with all the choices out there but those three brands are good ones to look into!
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I was told to stay below 30% protein, buy grain-free to lessen chance of allergies, and make sure of no dyes because they can cause tear stains. Good luck in your decision!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Tennille
Dog's Name: Eli

PHEW! Atleast I'm on the right track. hehehe Thanks
Little Eli's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shirley Ng
Dog's Name: Boo

Get Fromm, I switched from Nutro to Fromm and Boo loves it! He never used to finish all his food but now since he's on Fromm he eats everything most of the time
jenna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Tennille get what you want. It does not have to be grain free.

READ ingredient lists, make sure the first several ingredients are things you can pronounce. I like the first 1-3 to be identified meat, followed by identified meat meal, and then a list of other whole ingredients. That is what I find in Fromm, and what I compare others to when I think of rotating.

I feed Fromm four star formulas. Now, I think we use the term 'allergy' far to often. Rocky does seem to have a sensitivity to to the grain inclusive four star line so I am for the time being sticking with the grain free-however if your dog has not shown any signs of a food sensitivity there is no need to avoid grain in the diet-unless you are one of those who just doesn't believe it belongs there.

Fromm is a great company with great customer service, you can try their foods if you like, but if you have a dog with food sensitivities it may not work as they are so ingredient heavy.

Compare ingredients and price-there are far too many brands out there that are so overpriced and you are basically purchasing a bag of peas or potatos-so look and compare.

Nutri Source is another decent company/brand combo if you're interested in kibble, but I would stick with their regular line, and not the pure vita-as most seem to believe the pure vita is mostly pea protein.