What are you paying for? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Pet People us where I buy my food, and you get a card punched for every purchase of food after you buy 12, the 13th bag is free. It has to be the same brand though. I have three cards going!!
Hahaha! I only laugh because I think I was at like 9 bags out of 12 for Fromm when they lost my list that they kept.... the pet store that is. Oh well, but I hear ya, I'd have to do some math to find out if that made a difference or not might not be a big difference for you?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Shelly, you really did your research. I homecook most of the time and do feed Fromm (wet food) when I don't have time. I feel they give the most for the money they charge. Thanks for posting such great info.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Thanks! I don't mind paying more to get a great quality food for Leila. Compared to what I pay for us humans to eat, her food is cheap. My problem is not knowing what all she needs. I've been told to stay less than 30% protein, grain-free, dye free, and human quality. I also wonder about preservatives or any ingredient that doesn't sound like a real food or vitamin/mineral. Other than that, I don't know what to look for. Oh, and I look for it to be made in the USA or Canada. What else should I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Thanks! I don't mind paying more to get a great quality food for Leila. Compared to what I pay for us humans to eat, her food is cheap. My problem is not knowing what all she needs. I've been told to stay less than 30% protein, grain-free, dye free, and human quality. I also wonder about preservatives or any ingredient that doesn't sound like a real food or vitamin/mineral. Other than that, I don't know what to look for. Oh, and I look for it to be made in the USA or Canada. What else should I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I think you have a pretty good handle on what to look for. Now, if you want to go more natural, you could look into thinks like home cooking (which I recommend seeing a holistic vet before you implement) or even using dehydrated foods The Honest Kitchen is my favorite all human grade made in a human food plant. Good stuff!

Freshpet is another good choice, I know they are big on being more natural and staying away from preservitives.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I think you have a pretty good handle on what to look for. Now, if you want to go more natural, you could look into thinks like home cooking (which I recommend seeing a holistic vet before you implement) or even using dehydrated foods The Honest Kitchen is my favorite all human grade made in a human food plant. Good stuff!

Freshpet is another good choice, I know they are big on being more natural and staying away from preservitives.
Thank you! I don't know if there are any holistic vets around here. I've never heard of one until I started coming to SM. I will definitely look into it though. I do have a food dehydrator and am interested in using it for Leila after I read a post last night on here that struck my interest. I just need to learn what all she can have. Are The Honest Kitchen and Freshpet foods already made? Also, if I don't want to cook her food every day, is it ok to make a lot ahead of time and freeze it?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Thank you! I don't know if there are any holistic vets around here. I've never heard of one until I started coming to SM. I will definitely look into it though. I do have a food dehydrator and am interested in using it for Leila after I read a post last night on here that struck my interest. I just need to learn what all she can have. Are The Honest Kitchen and Freshpet foods already made? Also, if I don't want to cook her food every day, is it ok to make a lot ahead of time and freeze it?
I am very much a noob when it comes to home cooking, Tori is brilliant with it as Grace eats a special home made diet, I think Gus might too. (She is the one who shares the yummy human/dog recipes that you can share with yoru fluffs) There are a few other SMers that home cook and know tons more than I do on the subject. I do believe with home cooking you only want to keep a few days worth in the fridge and I'm sure you could freeze some to make it last longer but I'm not sure how long and how much you should do if you go that route.

I have read one book so far on home cooking, it's Dr. Becker's book-I purchased it off of mercolapets.com I believe. It's a great read and VERY educational, she gives you recipes and tells you how to mix the foods and so on. I have seen others suggest other books to, but I will have to leave that up to them as this is the only one I really know.

The Honest Kitchen www.thehonestkitchen.com is dehydrated food, it's a powder mix that you add water to, let sit for about five minutes and then serve. I am in LOVE with these type of mixes and trying to learn more about them at the present, they are my current obsession. My boys, pee more with it though so if you take them outside to potty be prepared for that.

Freshpet has fresh foods-an open roll of their food will last about a week in the frige, you can freeze it, but it does change the consistancy a bit. My boys didn't seem to notice the difference though. They have bags of food too instead of kibble its like fresh chunks of meat and some veggies. You can find these in some grocery stores in the pet section in their own frige, you can also find them in pet stores and petco and petsmart in particular. These too made my boys pee more.