food diet help - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy
Default food diet help

My wee boy is almost 5 months old, he has been the fussiest eater in the world since we got him, anyway, a couple of days ago after speaking to the lovely Lynzodolly I changed his diet to, half a boiled chicken breast in the morning with boiled rice, some boiled veg for lunch then all 3 together for evening meal. The thing is, when I give him veg together with the chicken and rice it's making him sick. When he has chicken and rice on it's own he's fine, he managed a plate of veg yesterday without being sick. The veg he has been getting is boiled carrot, boiled green beans and boiled brocolli.

I phoned the vets for some advice and the receptionist I guess it was told me to put him back onto dog food. I don't really want to do this as it takes him HOURS to eat any of it, usually having to end up hand feeding it to him and his poo's have been so much better since going onto the chicken. Not sure what to do with regards to his diet now

Sammy
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Can you just add some bits of chicken and veggies to his dog food? I'd be afraid that he wasn't getting the right amount of nutrients from just chicken and veggies, and rice. I believe that good dog food is balanced with all the essential vitamins, minerals, and the right amount of fats and proteins. There are some members hers who do home cook for their fluffs, maybe the'll see this and chime in.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sammy should have vitamins and supplements. Its important that he gets them since he is a puppy and needs to develop properly. I would try and give him either wet dog food with a little boiled or baked chicken in it or if he eats dry food put a little water or broth in it and a few pieces of chicken. I think he may eat it. Some fluffs do get very fussy with their food...I know I have a fussy eater too!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Maybe like the others have said go back to dry dog food maybe try another one to the one you were previously using he might just have got bored,try different flavours too!I sometimes give maizy veg with her food its a nice change and she loves it!

Maybe look at lilys kitchen that looks like a good food and when i cant get our food in america this is def one i will try!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I think they are all pretty picky especially when you start out. Chicken and rice alone with some veggie here and there is not going to get him all the nutrition he needs. If you want to home cook-that's fine but please see a certified canine nutritionist or a holistic vet to go about it, if done incorrectly it can cause all kinds of issues for a growing pup-some that you may not see for a while.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
I think they are all pretty picky especially when you start out. Chicken and rice alone with some veggie here and there is not going to get him all the nutrition he needs. If you want to home cook-that's fine but please see a certified canine nutritionist or a holistic vet to go about it, if done incorrectly it can cause all kinds of issues for a growing pup-some that you may not see for a while.
I agree the idea of home cooking is great but also daunting in my eyes and as its really important its done right!! I would not have the time to do it sufficiently therefore stick to a good quality dog food i have done alot of research as the uk doesnt have that many good ones and the best iv found is lilys kitchen,callahan and taste of the wild pacific stream i have not tried any of these but are some of the best avaliable in the uk. He might be more interesred in a high quality food as it has more meat in it too!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks guys, I added his dry food to his chicken this morning and as soon as he realised that's what it was he dropped it and walked away and left the meal. He's a fussy little bugger. I would happily give him chicken with his dry food if he would eat it. The reason he was first changed to wet was that he wouldn't drink water on its on, he's getting slightly better with that but only when someone sits and gives him the water. I think I have the fussiest pup in the world . I really don't want him back in that wet stuff as I've only ever read its not that good and his poops and tear stains are better when not on it.

Sammy
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Awwww Laura I hope sammy finds a notion to eat and drink properly !! I'm gonna start looking into health vitamin supplements for Albert after reading these comments as I though chicken , rice , veg and fruit was plenty xx
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

I have to echo what Shelly mentioned-- please do not give only chicken, rice and veggies to your growing puppy! It is NOT nutritionally balanced even though it seems "healthy." home cooking is only good if you can be sure that the dog is getting the perfect amounts of calories, proper balance of protein/fat/carbs, and the exact amounts of vitamins and minerals. This can only be achieved with a vet who has had extra training in nutrition or a canine nutritionist. Routine monitoring of electrolytes and minerals should be checked while the new diet is in place.

Not only can you seriously cause developmental problems in the dog, you can also cause serious illness and death by long-term unbalanced nutrition. Please try out many different types of dog food (wet or dry) and see what works OR consult a nutritionist. There are many foods you can buy online as well through amazon (Fromm, Stella and Chewy's, etc).

Also, wet food has better moisture content than dry food. A good wet food shouldn't cause more tear staining. Just clean the mouth area if it gets food on it.

I use a microplane zester to grate a very small amount of cheese to top my dog's food when he gets bored and I rotate different toppers like veggies.

Btw, broccoli is a cruciferous, gas-causing food so I try to avoid it as it may cause tummy discomfort. Lots of dogs like green beans, peas, crunchy lettuce.

let us know if you have any more questions but please, please give your pup a balanced diet
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzodolly View Post
Awwww Laura I hope sammy finds a notion to eat and drink properly !! I'm gonna start looking into health vitamin supplements for Albert after reading these comments as I though chicken , rice , veg and fruit was plenty xx
Yeah he managed to eat his dry food this morning with some chicken, after sitting on the kitchen floor and encouraging him for a while, he's a wee nightmare with food lol.

Sammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement