Blue Buff grain free puppy food - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
Thank you!! i thought grains were bad for dogs. Should i continue to feed her royal and grain free blue buff? or switch to the blue buff with grains?
Grains are not "bad". Too much protein can be more harmful for a toy breed dog.

Article About Grain Free Diets From Veterinary Nutritionist
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I too fed our Snuggles and Chrissy BB Grainfree and had to switch back to the Longevity variety since the protein level was too high for my liking. As a matter of fact, our Snuggles got really sick a couple of weeks ago and we returned the BB Bag to Petco. After the stool sample was tested, it was NOT the BB food but a lot of bacteria that was causing Snuggles to be so sick with diarreaha and vomiting. At the same time our two Cats were also quite ill. All of them had to eat Chicken and Rice for a few days. Our Tiffany (Cat) would not touch the Chicken and Rice. So now all of them are on BB again and doing very well. In other words, I recommend BB very highly and hope that your little one starts to feel better real soon with here stomach issues. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandace
Dog's Name: Halo

I am just switching halo off Blue after I read a lot of doggies have had crystals in this urine.

HalosMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Could you let me know where you read that??? I would be interested in knowing since all four of our animals are fed BB. So far, I have not had any problems.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I've fed my Bella Blue Buffalo Freedom with no problems whatsoever. I hope your baby's tummy will feel better soon.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you ladies. I went to the vet she said she was fine it was deft the change of food. I'm keeping her with royal canin until her tummy settles. Today she woke up extra hyper, her stool is still softer than usual. She didn't want to eat her breakfast and didn't eat her entire meal at noon. The vet told me to give her rice with chicken for 4 days and keep her hydrated. I will do that starting tonight. I keep you ladies posted.

Here she is Blue Buff grain free puppy food-imageuploadedbypg-free1356896149.331702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just change Leila and Wilber food to blue buffalo and they love it. The quality of food is just supreme!!!

Blue Buff grain free puppy food-imageuploadedbypg-free1357265794.336654.jpg

Leila & Wilber mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
Grains are not "bad". Too much protein can be more harmful for a toy breed dog.

Article About Grain Free Diets From Veterinary Nutritionist
Bella is sooo teeny tiny!! I'm sure her little system is still immature. I have to say, I read the article that Marj posted a while back (link above). I was feeding Fromm grain free and switched to Fromm grain inclusive and have been very happy with it. I wasn't really having issues before, but he's had firmer stools since the switch which is good. But most people will tell you to watch the protein content.

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

You posted this right after I had surgery and I'm just now seeing it. I'm she's doing better and just wanted to let you know she is soooo adorable!!

I agree too that her little digestive system is still immature. Any switching you do should be done very slowly. As far as what I've been told about feeding malts is to keep protein under 30% and grain free is best if they have food allergies. Even though Leila hasn't shown that she has any, I figure if it is a good quality food, I will stick with grain free just to try and prevent any allergies to begin with if I can. I finally found a place locally that sells Fromm and because of the reviews I've read here, I switched her to that. But I've also heard good things about Blue Buffalo. My son and his girlfriend have their new puppy on that and he's doing great on it (but he's a Lab). But still, I've heard it is a good food. Regardless of what you choose, I would go with a high quality food and stick to that one at least until he's a little bigger.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
Thank you ladies. I went to the vet she said she was fine it was deft the change of food. I'm keeping her with royal canin until her tummy settles. Today she woke up extra hyper, her stool is still softer than usual. She didn't want to eat her breakfast and didn't eat her entire meal at noon. The vet told me to give her rice with chicken for 4 days and keep her hydrated. I will do that starting tonight. I keep you ladies posted.

Here she is Attachment 106138

oh she is just adorable!

I switched to BB grain free about 10 days ago & my malts love it. However, my schnauzer has had terrible diarrhea from it, so we've been feeding her yogurt & just a little bit of the dog food & she's been doing better. The crazy thing is that I switched to BB because my schnauzer has awful skin allergies/issues so we thought it would be better for her. We bought some of her old brand of food today & will mix them for her.