Blue Buff grain free puppy food - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Blue Buff grain free puppy food

Hello,

I got Bella a week ago... Her breeder was giving her royal canin. He gave me a bag of food for roughly two weeks. I started switching her the next day to Blue Buff grain free for puppies. That day I also took her to her first VET visit. The vet gave her a physical, deworming, and told me to come back in a week for her first shot (today). The following day she started vomiting, 3 times. The 4th time she gagged saliva. The 5th time she also gagged saliva. She was still hyper and drinking water. I freaked out and one of my good friends told me to add a little sugar to her water so her blood level doesn't drop. I got some advice from one of the workers at PETCO, he told me to give her white rice 24hrs after the vomiting incident. I added chicken broth to the white rice and she ate it all. The following meal i added some kibbles of both royal and BB. The next day, she was active as usual but her stool was softer, the mushy kind. Not really liquid. Yesterday she also had soft stool. I called the emergency hospital to find out if I should bring her or not and they said yes because since she's only 8 weeks she is probably dehydrated (which I can't see because she is drinking water and hyper as always) I called another emergency clinic and she told me it was deft the transition of food. Now, I called my vet and his next visit is monday. (two days from now) I was going to get her shot in another clinic who my sister-in-law gets her puppies shots from. They said to hold on until her stomach settled before I vaccinated her. I called PETSMART to see if i was able to return the BB, they said yes but he recommended Blue Buff with grains....

Should i feed her blue buff still just switch to the grains? Should i just feed her royal for now? Should i switch to a different brand? Please help!!!!!
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

It is the food transition causing this. You can switch foods to what you like but you need to do it gradually. She probably will have loose stool until she adjusts fully to the new food. Just as long as its not all liquid she should be okay. Make sure she is drinking water and transition slowly. I thkink its best to wait until she isn't vomiting until she gets her shots. I don't think its necessary to go grain free unless you know your dealing with allergies etc.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carole
Dog's Name: Giovanni & Manny-Guiseppe

Oh my, her tummy is upset and you are freaking out! first, stay calm. Her tummy needs to rest, but you need to keep nourishment in so she does not become hypoglycemic. I have noticed with grain-free, my dog's stools are softer. Many on here recommend boiled chicken and white rice - very small amounts, til her little tummy returns to normal. Also, do you have any neutracal - for low blood sugar?

ckanen2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Boomer

Sorry Bella is having problems. I have no experience with this but I think at her young age I would just keep feeding what the breeder had her on till she settles in. I did feed mine blue for puppies maybe try a slower transition when she is better. Hope someone with more experience will have more to offer. Your baby is precious welcome and good luck.
luvsmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe's Mom88 View Post
It is the food transition causing this. You can switch foods to what you like but you need to do it gradually. She probably will have loose stool until she adjusts fully to the new food. Just as long as its not all liquid she should be okay. Make sure she is drinking water and transition slowly. I think its best to wait until she isn't vomiting until she gets her shots. I don't think its necessary to go grain free unless you know your dealing with allergies etc.

Thank you!! i thought grains were bad for dogs. Should i continue to feed her royal and grain free blue buff? or switch to the blue buff with grains?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanen2n View Post
Oh my, her tummy is upset and you are freaking out! first, stay calm. Her tummy needs to rest, but you need to keep nourishment in so she does not become hypoglycemic. I have noticed with grain-free, my dog's stools are softer. Many on here recommend boiled chicken and white rice - very small amounts, til her little tummy returns to normal. Also, do you have any neutracal - for low blood sugar?

I did give her white rice when she started vomiting which helped her stop. But the following day her stool was soft. I am not sure if its because i added warm water to the kibles or because she devours her plate? I tried giving her nutrical but the guy who works in PETCO told me it wasn't necessary.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmalts View Post
Sorry Bella is having problems. I have no experience with this but I think at her young age I would just keep feeding what the breeder had her on till she settles in. I did feed mine blue for puppies maybe try a slower transition when she is better. Hope someone with more experience will have more to offer. Your baby is precious welcome and good luck.

This morning i fed her only ROYAL. The guy from PETSMART told me to just switch the blue buff (the pink bag) I am so confused on what to do. Did you feed your precious blue buff grain free?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
This morning i fed her only ROYAL. The guy from PETSMART told me to just switch the blue buff (the pink bag) I am so confused on what to do. Did you feed your precious blue buff grain free?
With the blue buffalo you are trying to switch her to, you may want to check the protein level, I believe their grain free varieties may be quite high. Most believe it is best to stay 30% or below. If you do choose to switch her food, it is best to do so gradually-some say over a week, I prefer over a couple of weeks when dealing with puppies with tummy issues.

However, Royal Canine is not horrid (Though it doesn't rank high on rating websites), you can, keep her on it, or you might even consider (if you really want to change) keeping her on it until she's done with all her shots and everything.

I am use to transitioning issues giving loose stool, but the vomiting I would be more concerned with.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Check the protein content. Some grain free foods have potato or sweet potato, but you need to keep the protein content at about 22% for a Malt.
Please read some of the threads about food.

Now, I would not take a puppy to a vaccination clinic as they do a five way. You should not have a vaccine for lepto for a Malt. You should not combine rabies with other vaccines either, they should be given two weeks apart.

You need to be very careful with such a very young puppy. It is widely recommended that toy dogs stay with the litter until they are twelve weeks old.

Toy dogs require very different care than larger breeds. Many vets treat all dogs the same and aren't up on the special requirements of small dogs.

Please go to the health section of this forum and read up as much as you can. You will learn a lot and be able to take the best care of your little Bella.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Check the protein content. Some grain free foods have potato or sweet potato, but you need to keep the protein content at about 22% for a Malt.
Please read some of the threads about food.

Now, I would not take a puppy to a vaccination clinic as they do a five way. You should not have a vaccine for lepto for a Malt. You should not combine rabies with other vaccines either, they should be given two weeks apart.

You need to be very careful with such a very young puppy. It is widely recommended that toy dogs stay with the litter until they are twelve weeks old.

Toy dogs require very different care than larger breeds. Many vets treat all dogs the same and aren't up on the special requirements of small dogs.

Please go to the health section of this forum and read up as much as you can. You will learn a lot and be able to take the best care of your little Bella.

Hello, thank you for the prompt reply! I read on blue buff and the grain free and the bag with grains are both 27% protein. I am going to return the grain free bag in a couple of hours but i am trying to figure out what exactly to feed her. I read a couple of articles and they love blue buff. not sure if they were referring to the grain free or the regular one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement