Should I be concerned? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Bellamia11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default Should I be concerned?

The vet put Bella on a bland diet. I've been feeding her rice and chicken for 3 days. The first two days her stool was still soft. Today she hasn't pooped. She ate her three meals, drank plenty of water & she's hyper as usual. The vet said to keep her on a bland diet for 3-4days. Should I just go back to the vet?


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Why did they put her on a bland diet??
I wouldn't necessarily freak out that she hasn't gone yet. But I would call them and just ask if it's something you need to go in for.
I know that when I got Gucci, I switched her food "slowly" but apparently not slow enough. She had diarrhea for a day. I Know that switching food is just going to mess with their little tummies.
Don't get too concerned until she starts acting funny.
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Bellamia11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Why did they put her on a bland diet??
I wouldn't necessarily freak out that she hasn't gone yet. But I would call them and just ask if it's something you need to go in for.
I know that when I got Gucci, I switched her food "slowly" but apparently not slow enough. She had diarrhea for a day. I Know that switching food is just going to mess with their little tummies.
Don't get too concerned until she starts acting funny.
I think I switched her food too quick. I put 50 of the old and 50 of the new. The following day she was vomiting and two days later she had diarrhea. Since she's my first puppy I get really freaked out.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
I think I switched her food too quick. I put 50 of the old and 50 of the new. The following day she was vomiting and two days later she had diarrhea. Since she's my first puppy I get really freaked out.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yeah, that's what I did. Not AS much, but I didn't divide it up well enough. Like I said, if she starts acting lethargic and ACTS like she doesn't feel well, I would be concerned, but I assume she's just getting used to all this stuff. Maybe the BLAND doesn't have a lot TO poop out?? I would call in the morning just to ease your mind, but I would imagine she'll go before you make that phone call.
Gucci is my first dog also, so I tend to freak out at things too. Don't feel bad
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Bellamia11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Yeah, that's what I did. Not AS much, but I didn't divide it up well enough. Like I said, if she starts acting lethargic and ACTS like she doesn't feel well, I would be concerned, but I assume she's just getting used to all this stuff. Maybe the BLAND doesn't have a lot TO poop out?? I would call in the morning just to ease your mind, but I would imagine she'll go before you make that phone call.
Gucci is my first dog also, so I tend to freak out at things too. Don't feel bad
Really!! How old is he now? I really do worry because seeing her throw up broke my heart. I can't see her sick by when should I expect her stool to harden?


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
Really!! How old is he now? I really do worry because seeing her throw up broke my heart. I can't see her sick by when should I expect her stool to harden?


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Gucci is 5 months now. When I first brought her home, she wouldn't eat out of her bowl. I had to hand feed her. She vomited several times and I always freaked out thinking something was wrong with her. When she had the diarrhea, I felt REALLY bad.
I actually read that Bella is only 8 weeks. So, in theory, she should still be with her mommy, so I imagine it will be MORE difficult for her tummy to get used to the food.
I would call the vet, just to be sure and to keep yourself calm. As far as the stool hardening, when you say "soft" how soft is it?? It is like diarrhea or just soft??
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowball Pie's Mommi's Avatar
 
Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamia11 View Post
The vet put Bella on a bland diet. I've been feeding her rice and chicken for 3 days. The first two days her stool was still soft. Today she hasn't pooped. She ate her three meals, drank plenty of water & she's hyper as usual. The vet said to keep her on a bland diet for 3-4days. Should I just go back to the vet?


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!

May I ask what your first name is? And, the name of your fluff baby?

I think if you have any doubts ... then the best thing to do is call your vet. Your vet should be able to explain to you why she/he has advised the bland diet.

Don't be afraid to ask your vet questions ... a good vet, like any good doctor, welcomes questions. Write down your questions on a piece of paper so you don't forget anything ... and, then you can add notes as to what your doctor advises.

It's not unusual for our fluff babies not to have a BM for a few days if they have had diarhhea or very soft stools. Usually a little canned plain pumpkin will help *move things along*. However, I would follow exactly what your vet prescribes for now ... as to what your fluff baby should eat.

If your pup has more loose stools or throws up again ... then you need to get in touch with your vet right away.

Did your vet take any kind of lab tests?

Please keep us updated. We care!
__________________
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Zoe's Mom88's Avatar
 
Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 5,479
Default

Not sure how old Bella is or why she was even put on a bland diet to begin with. I wouldn't be too concerned that after just eating rice and chicken she didn't poop. But more info would help . Hope she feels better soon.
__________________
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Bellamia11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
Gucci is 5 months now. When I first brought her home, she wouldn't eat out of her bowl. I had to hand feed her. She vomited several times and I always freaked out thinking something was wrong with her. When she had the diarrhea, I felt REALLY bad.
I actually read that Bella is only 8 weeks. So, in theory, she should still be with her mommy, so I imagine it will be MORE difficult for her tummy to get used to the food.
I would call the vet, just to be sure and to keep yourself calm. As far as the stool hardening, when you say "soft" how soft is it?? It is like diarrhea or just soft??


Should I be concerned?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357093325.141875.jpg that was her stool two days ago. Yesterday it was a bit softer. Today she hasn't gone at all. Just peed.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Bellamia11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Welcome to Spoiled Maltese!

May I ask what your first name is? And, the name of your fluff baby?

I think if you have any doubts ... then the best thing to do is call your vet. Your vet should be able to explain to you why she/he has advised the bland diet.

Don't be afraid to ask your vet questions ... a good vet, like any good doctor, welcomes questions. Write down your questions on a piece of paper so you don't forget anything ... and, then you can add notes as to what your doctor advises.

It's not unusual for our fluff babies not to have a BM for a few days if they have had diarhhea or very soft stools. Usually a little canned plain pumpkin will help *move things along*. However, I would follow exactly what your vet prescribes for now ... as to what your fluff baby should eat.

If your pup has more loose stools or throws up again ... then you need to get in touch with your vet right away.

Did your vet take any kind of lab tests?

Please keep us updated. We care!
Thank you!!! My name is Genesis & my pup name is Bella. She was born November 1st. The vet told me to bring a sample of her stool so they can do a fecal exam. She told me to constantly check her gums for signs of dehydration. When I took her off blue buff her itchiness stopped completely. She only vomited once & today makes 4 days that her stool is not hard. I'm not sure what normal stool is to be quite honest but the first two days her stool was harder than the picture above.



Should I be concerned?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357093718.502022.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Bellamia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com