what is the best dogfood that you can recommend? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: juzel soliman
Dog's Name: coton
Default what is the best dogfood that you can recommend?

hello everyone my baby is having a bad tear stain and he always leaking his paw and his name is coton. I dont now if he is allergic to his food i'm feeding him a wellness core glutenfree that's what his vet gave to him. I want to change his food as soon i get the best recommendation that you guys can give me. I allready talk to his vet about it and he said change his food first before we go to any allergy test. he recommend me the inova and eukinova but coton doesnt like it his not eating both food. Can any one help witch dog food is good for maltese?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
juzelzei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I feed Leila Fromm's but there are a lot of great foods out there. It just depends on which one your baby does well with. To prevent tear stains, make sure it doesn't have any dyes in it and for allergies, buy grain free. I was told to keep it under 30% protein, but some keep it closer to 20%. I think they do need some protein for healthy muscles and protein also helps healing if they're ever hurt or have surgery. So if you decide to ever home cook, make sure yours is getting some protein. Just not a lot.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Thats A tough One. I did so much research on puppy food,I Use Wellness Small Breed Puppy Food It's Dye Free and no bi=products and junk, suppose to be really healthy. So Far So Good. Another Thing i found was that bottled water instead of tap--makes a differance.

Yogi Gets Some Stains So i try and keep up with them,but he does not have them as bad as some that i see. Trail and Error--Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

The best I can recommend?

Home cooking..... No worries about ingredients, recalls, etc.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

How old is Coton?? Just wondering because of the tear stains. If he is a puppy it could be that. I homecook for Zoe....but before I did I researched a lot of food. There is a website called Dogfoodadvisor.com and they review all sorts of foods. You just have to be sure its not high in protein.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

Bella does great on Blue Buffalo Freedom (grain free). I also give bottled water only.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Juzel, there honestly is no best brand out there. Different brands work for different dogs. If you have a dog that has food sensitivities it's sometimes difficult to figure out exactly what it is they have an issue with. You might try a limited ingredient diet.

I like fromm, but it's very ingredient heavy, I also like acana, they have a limited ingredient line, zignature is a food I use, the whole line is limited ingredient. Wellsness has a limited ingredient line as well... just take a look around.

I agree with Tori that home cooking is the best you can do, but please do that with the guidance of a holistic vet, or do some reading from experts who have a full understanding of home cooking. This can be a very bad route if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Snuggles and Chrissy both eat Blue BUffalo Longevity. The grainfree has more protein and I want to make sure that they do not put on too much weight.Chrissy has a tendancy to put the weight on and that is why I switched to Longevity.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Yoshie (at the bridge), Buckley (Chi)

Mine was eating Wellness Whitefish & Sweet Potato(canned)but the store I got it at was out and wasn't going to get it back for at least a week so I went with Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream (canned). I'm going to pick up the smallest bag of dry tomorrow and mix the canned and dry cuz Yoshie is really picky and will not touch dry food so hoping he will if it's mixed.
luvmybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Name: juzel soliman
Dog's Name: coton

zoe's mom88, coton is 11 months and his tear stain is very bad. I always clear his face and eye area but still the same.

juzelzei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement