We don't want dry food - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

You should feed them what they like and what is healthy. They will always need their teeth brushed no matter what they eat and need teeth professionally cleaned at some point.....no way around that.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

So has anybody given their dogs raw meaty bones like the article suggested? Chicken wings, etc? I'd be scared half to death to do that! But, I sure would like not to have to pay for yearly dental cleanings for my two.

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

My vet has said that dry food isn't any better for their teeth than wet food - with these little guys, you still have to brush their teeth and do dentals. Bones? Never. Not for a toy breed.

I use dry for the storage convenience and add about 3 T hot water to 1/4 cup food. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so to allow the water to cool and the food to absorb the moisture. Haven't had a picky eater since I started doing this about 3 years ago.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalyte View Post
So has anybody given their dogs raw meaty bones like the article suggested? Chicken wings, etc? I'd be scared half to death to do that! But, I sure would like not to have to pay for yearly dental cleanings for my two.
Jackie...this is what I do...brush every day with C.E.T. and every few days apply the Petzlife oral gel which will loosen the plaque..I also have a dental scaler...most of the tartar and plaque I see are on the back teeth. My Rose is 5 years old and has had only one dental..I have found that chewing on something does not do enough.. and I also agree that it does not matter what type of food I give them...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

Mia is eating every bit of her dry as long as I put a tiny bit of the wet (using Rachel Ray right now)in with it. I add a tiny splash of bottled water and mix it really well so the wet food gives it all flavor and its gone....now she's eating 1/4 cup in the morning and a 1/4 cup in the late afternoon around 4:30 or 5pm....

I will be switching to a more quality canned food as soon as hubby is back on the road and the money starts rolling in again. Right now I have to be careful..ugh!!! Rachel Ray's was the best I could fine, ingredients wise, at the grocery store. But she is eating and that's what I wanted.

I'm dying to go to Petco and get more stuff for her, but I just can't right now.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I went through that stage with mine. Acana is the only brand that they like and will eat. I give mine raw carrots to nibble on that does help with their teeth............. mind you that if they are not burying the carrots!!! I home cook for mine as well.
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
Jackie...this is what I do...brush every day with C.E.T. and every few days apply the Petzlife oral gel which will loosen the plaque..I also have a dental scaler...most of the tartar and plaque I see are on the back teeth. My Rose is 5 years old and has had only one dental..I have found that chewing on something does not do enough.. and I also agree that it does not matter what type of food I give them...
April, I also use C.E.T. toothpaste and use a scaler. I find it works well. Zoe is 2 1/2 years old and I don't see her needing a dental anytime in the near future. I also don't give any bones that are suppose to clean the teeth...I just don't believe they work.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Blizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila & Wilber mommy View Post
J smith they told me the same but my pups don't like it. Their food will be there all day and they only eat when they are starving.

Lucy mom I do the same but they will still not eat it. I have two flavor chicken and lamb to mix it up little bit but no luck here.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I would say it is better for them to eat wet food than no food at all! Good luck. I hope your cuties start eating!
J Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Leila and Wilber are very young.....

So you need to feed them what they will eat. Kibble may just be too hard for them right now. Like most have said: A good wet food is actually better than dry kibble. So go with what your babies want

I home cook for my two. It's the consistency of wet food. Before this Gus was on kibble (Grace was on...whatever she would eat that day).... Gus's teeth are much better now than when he was eating kibble.

Start getting them used to having their teeth brushed. Even if it's just using the corner of a wash cloth. That will help big time

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement