Which protein content should I be looking at? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
I have another follow up question. Pam, that article was very helpful, thanks! So, if the dry matter basis protein content of a food is 50%, for instance, this, it's too high for malts?

Is it as simple as just looking at dry matter basis protein content of any food on dog advisor and making sure it doesn't exceed 30%?
Wow! 50% is extremely high especially for a Maltese. I personally would not consistently feed a food that high in protein no matter how active the Maltese is. The dogfoodadvisor.com does the dry matter calculation for you so I think it's the simplest way to find out if the dry matter basis is not listed on the package or on the detailed nutrition profile on the company's website.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nida
Dog's Name: Emma Charlotte (CloudClan Maltese) and Bailey (Honorary Maltese)
Default Which protein content should I be looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
This might help. Basically, you have to subtract the % of moisture from the % of protein to get the dry matter. Multiply it by 100 and you get the actual protein.
P.S. I learned this from Marj (Lady'sMom).

Dry Matter Basis - A Better Way to Compare Dog Foods
Ah! Thanks Pam! I thought for kibble the dry matter protein % would be the same as the guaranteed analysis % but doesn't look like it. Confused myself there!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

CloudClan I'll Be There For You - "Emma"
Honorary Maltese - Bailey

Follow us on Facebook: The Adventures of Bailey & Emma
Bailey&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaloha View Post
Wow! 50% is extremely high especially for a Maltese. I personally would not consistently feed a food that high in protein no matter how active the Maltese is. The dogfoodadvisor.com does the dry matter calculation for you so I think it's the simplest way to find out if the dry matter basis is not listed on the package or on the detailed nutrition profile on the company's website.
Agreed. I actually didn't believe something could have 50% protein and that's why I thought I was probably reading it wrong.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
Agreed. I actually didn't believe something could have 50% protein and that's why I thought I was probably reading it wrong.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It does sound like a wonderful quality food but the very high protein and fat content makes me uncomfortable. I don't doubt that some dogs can handle it and do well, but there are so many alternatives (and ones that are actually AAFCO certified) to choose from that I'd rather pick a more modest, breed appropriate protein level. This is just my personal opinion- everyone can, of course, choose for their own fluff depending on what works.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I agree, 50% is too high. But I am aware of this food, and it is very high quality. Grain free diets tend to get higher protein percentages. The lower protein foods tend to have rice, potato etc. Another thing you can do is to reduce the recommended feeding amount and mix it with other fresh vegtables, or mix it with another lower protein dry food. In other words, use it sparingly. I have been using this:

Nature?s Variety Instinct Raw Frozen Dog Food | Review and Rating

It's 41% dry matter, which is still kind of high. I use about 1/3 the amount and mix it with steamed peas, carrots, zucchini, sweet potato (what ever I happen to have on hand) etc. I cook the veg and keep it in tupperware in the fridge. I thaw the frozed raw food overnight in the fridge for the day. I warm the veg and add the protein. Dogs love it!

Please donate to GME reseach.
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund

Last edited by pammy4501; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
pammy4501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement