my fickle little pickle is driving me crazy! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Since we figured out Grace's health issues, and found the proper diet for her.... she is a great eater.

I still think that if a dog is picky, there is a reason. Either the food doesn't agree with them (upsets their stomachs or other symptoms), there's an intolerance (even if you can't see anything) or allergy.... or something else like causing stress on the pancreas, liver, or kidneys.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie
Default my fickle little pickle is driving me crazy!

Have you tried hand feeding her? I notice when Sophie is being unusually picky it's because she's having a princess day, as silly as that may sound. She's not big on completing full meals all at once, she eats about half to 2/3rds of her meal then snacks on the rest until her next meal time. But if Sophie's having a princess day then for each meal time I have to sit down with her and she crawls into my lap and I hand feed her, 3 pieces of kibble at a time. When she's done eating she lets me know by pushing the kibble into my hand with her nose

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Steph
Dog's Name: Daisy AKA Fluffybutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvysMom View Post
We have a super picky Tibetan Terrier who was giving us fits about eating. Science Diet came out with a new "Ideal Balance" canned last year and she loves it, gobbles it down. It looks like a stew for people (but it's not SD's "stew variety" which our TT doesn't like), with chunks of meat, carrots, peas, rice. It just about looks good enough to serve to my hubby! I've wondered whether our TT thinks it is people food, hence why she eats it. Here's a link to the beef. It also comes in chicken:

Ideal Balance? Beef & Vegetables Dinner Adult - Canned

My vet sells it and it's also at our PetCo and local Orshelns Farm Supply. It's actually cheapest from my vet.
I'll pick some up and see if she will eat it. She typically will not eat things that are mixed together, I have to give things like stew to her one thing at a time.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
You may want to try one of the fresh rolled foods that has more aroma and a moist consistency. My girls are very enthusiastic about Fresh Pet Vital salmon formula. They also go absolutely crazy for Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, which I add hot water to and let it soak so that it releases the aroma.
She isn't interested in the rolled foods and she hates fish, she is such a pain in the ass lol
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesBacci View Post
Oh I'm all too familiar with this. Bacci always sniffs, takes it into his mouth and spits it out. Then, he looks at me like he wants something to eat, but still spits it out. He goes through these phases, sometimes he will just gobble down whatever I give him, then there are days where he wont touch ANYTHING.

Now, have you tried boiling some chicken breast? If not, then try to boil some chicken breast and cut it up into small little peices. Mix it with some plain rice. If still no luck, take away the rice and see if your baby will eat just the chicken. No matter what "phase" Bacci is going through, he'll never turn down some boiled chicken! That is the ONLY thing I have found that he will not spit out no matter what!

Good luck & I hope you find what food your little baby will gobble down!!
She loves chicken but she hasn't been eating it, she did eat a couple bites when my mom had her earlier but the day before yesterday she just ignored it!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xewqa's mum View Post
My mothers recipe for her dogs (and have to say my friends recipe for her husband too), boil ground chuck, remove the fat from the top with a spoon, drain and add tin of vegetable soup, re heat, put into dishes and allow to cool, and there you have it, nutritious, delicious, and your doggies love it cos you cooked it specially for them. Mum did this for her 3 dogs, but you could fridge the leftover for another day - or serve with mash potato to your husband! lol
I may try this but she hasn't wanted ground beef the past few days! I have a pot of stuffed pepper soup on for dinner tomorrow and I'm hoping she eats it, usually she scarfs everything but the rice.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Mine are all good eaters, so if one doesn't eat as much or not at all, I know something's wrong! My dogs love the Fresh Pet Vital also, I use it as a topper on their Fromm Kibble. It would concern me that Daisy isn't getting enough nutrition by not eating her dog food, as it is balanced with everything that she needs. Hope that you find something that she likes. What does she do if you pick up her food(that she doesn't eat) and don't give her anything until her next feeding?Unless there is a medical problem, I don't think a dog will starve itself to death.
She's usually a bottomless pit which is why we did one food and one homecooked meal per day because the food alone didn't seem to satisfy her. She's hungry now, she just doesn't want anything and she couldn't care less if I take the food away, I picked it up and covered it earlier and it didn't phase her. I think she'll be fine, it's my sanity I'm worried about
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Welcome to my world. Lucky seems to think that I am poisoning him. He will gobble up kibble the first few days after I open the bag. Then it is a struggle to get him to eat. I try and get him to eat 30-30 kibble bits each morning and then I give him scrabble eggs and veg. He will eat the eggs as long as I am not having home fries with it. If I have home fries, he will only eat the potatoes and completely ignore the eggs. You might try a little scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil - it is a good protein and has some vitamins and minerals in it.
She won't eat potatoes or eggs...see what I'm up against!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
Since we figured out Grace's health issues, and found the proper diet for her.... she is a great eater.

I still think that if a dog is picky, there is a reason. Either the food doesn't agree with them (upsets their stomachs or other symptoms), there's an intolerance (even if you can't see anything) or allergy.... or something else like causing stress on the pancreas, liver, or kidneys.
She's not eating the things that she normally eats so I don't think it's an allergy, but I am going to take her to the vet to see if there's something going on besides her general stubbornness!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAndSophiePup View Post
Have you tried hand feeding her? I notice when Sophie is being unusually picky it's because she's having a princess day, as silly as that may sound. She's not big on completing full meals all at once, she eats about half to 2/3rds of her meal then snacks on the rest until her next meal time. But if Sophie's having a princess day then for each meal time I have to sit down with her and she crawls into my lap and I hand feed her, 3 pieces of kibble at a time. When she's done eating she lets me know by pushing the kibble into my hand with her nose

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
She is hand fed a lot, there are certain things she refuses to eat off a plate or bowl, she's a princess!