my fickle little pickle is driving me crazy! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfluffybutt View Post
She's not eating the things that she normally eats so I don't think it's an allergy, but I am going to take her to the vet to see if there's something going on besides her general stubbornness!!!
Is she eating anything else like treats etc? Just not her meals, that way you'll know if she's off food or not. If so then I'd take a trip to the vets just incase there's something going on. Hope she is eating soon I know it's a worry.

Sammy
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Name: Ann
Dog's Name: Daisy and Sadie

Daisy and Sadie are picky eaters along with digestive issues. We have tried many different kinds of food and they just turn up their nose. But we finally found Fresh Pets Vital Complete. It is not rolled but little chunks of beef, salmon, chicken with spinach and cranberries. They both just love it and come running when I set their dishes down.
ann4280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I would first do a complete physical & a urine sample---if I ruled out all medical issues (esp. a BAT test) I would then look at the size of the dry food she is getting. Liesl's mouth is very small & she can't do larger kibble even though she is l 1/2 yrs old.
I agree that a healthy dog will not starve themselves. How old is she & how much does she weigh? Maybe you are expecting her to eat too much? Some dogs just don't need that much food. I would definitely add Animal Essentials vit. supplement w/pbiotics.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

From the posts - all the "she is hungry but turning her nose up at this and that" - even things she used to eat or once liked....

Turning her nose especially up over chicken, and potatoes (you said she likes potatoes)....

I'm glad you are going to the vet. I would ask for blood panels and a BAT. Make sure to take Dr. Center's notes on a proper BAT test since most vets do them wrong.

But a dog being "picky" to this extent - to me is not behavioral. I thought that with Grace... and many people told me I was just spoiling her, to do tough love. Turns out she was very sick.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Steph
Dog's Name: Daisy AKA Fluffybutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lols82 View Post
Is she eating anything else like treats etc? Just not her meals, that way you'll know if she's off food or not. If so then I'd take a trip to the vets just incase there's something going on. Hope she is eating soon I know it's a worry.
She's eating Kona's chicken jerky and a lot of fruits/veggies
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann4280 View Post
Daisy and Sadie are picky eaters along with digestive issues. We have tried many different kinds of food and they just turn up their nose. But we finally found Fresh Pets Vital Complete. It is not rolled but little chunks of beef, salmon, chicken with spinach and cranberries. They both just love it and come running when I set their dishes down.
She might like that, she loves chicken, beef, and spinach!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I would first do a complete physical & a urine sample---if I ruled out all medical issues (esp. a BAT test) I would then look at the size of the dry food she is getting. Liesl's mouth is very small & she can't do larger kibble even though she is l 1/2 yrs old.
I agree that a healthy dog will not starve themselves. How old is she & how much does she weigh? Maybe you are expecting her to eat too much? Some dogs just don't need that much food. I would definitely add Animal Essentials vit. supplement w/pbiotics.
She is 8-ish and weighs 8.5 pounds and is usually a bottomless pit!! She has bad teeth so she will only eat wet food. I am going to order some of the vitamins, we have some from Petco and they don't have probiotics because she got them elsewhere in her diet like yogurt. I've never heard of a BAT test so I thank you and Tori for that advice, I will make sure that we do that!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace'sMom View Post
From the posts - all the "she is hungry but turning her nose up at this and that" - even things she used to eat or once liked....

Turning her nose especially up over chicken, and potatoes (you said she likes potatoes)....

I'm glad you are going to the vet. I would ask for blood panels and a BAT. Make sure to take Dr. Center's notes on a proper BAT test since most vets do them wrong.

But a dog being "picky" to this extent - to me is not behavioral. I thought that with Grace... and many people told me I was just spoiling her, to do tough love. Turns out she was very sick.
She doesn't like potatoes, she pretty much hates all carbs except corn which I don't give her because it goes right through her.

I'm concerned that it's not behavioral because she will turn down a smorgasbord of food. I don't care if she's spoiled, at this point I will give her what she will eat.

Thank you for the advice on the BAT, I will definitely take it!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Granny came to the rescue last night and bought her some BBQ chicken thighs which she inhaled last night and for breakfast!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oy! Today she will only eat meat/protein and is refusing all fruit and veggies