my fickle little pickle is driving me crazy! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Steph
Dog's Name: Daisy AKA Fluffybutt
Default my fickle little pickle is driving me crazy!

Hi ladies we've been busy and haven't been around since summer but I could really use some help!!

Dais has always been a fickle eater but she is out of control right now and I have no idea what to do!!! She has run hot and cold with her food forever but right now she is being super picky and although she's hungry and begging for food she isn't eating hardly anything and it's driving me nuts!!

She will just sniff what I give her, even if it's something she loves, and walk away ...last night she only ate a few bites of lettuce and tomato for dinner and all she has eaten today is some peanut butter, a little bit of banana, blueberries, and a couple bites of tomato and orange. The only protein she is getting is from her treats (Kona's chips). She has never been one for grains, but she loves meat! The vet wants her to eat one food per day but more often than not I have to throw them out because she ignores them.

The crazy thing is her weight is stable and her poop is good, I am baffled, any suggestions you have would be appreciated!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Have you tried a good quality dog food to see if she would like that?
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Steph
Dog's Name: Daisy AKA Fluffybutt

The only food she will eat are Caesar's, that's what she was fed before we got her- we've tried higher quality foods and she will not eat them!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

We have a super picky Tibetan Terrier who was giving us fits about eating. Science Diet came out with a new "Ideal Balance" canned last year and she loves it, gobbles it down. It looks like a stew for people (but it's not SD's "stew variety" which our TT doesn't like), with chunks of meat, carrots, peas, rice. It just about looks good enough to serve to my hubby! I've wondered whether our TT thinks it is people food, hence why she eats it. Here's a link to the beef. It also comes in chicken:

Ideal Balance? Beef & Vegetables Dinner Adult - Canned

My vet sells it and it's also at our PetCo and local Orshelns Farm Supply. It's actually cheapest from my vet.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Sammy

I've had this same problem since the day we got Sammy. He's hardly eat a bite the last couple of days. The vet has advised me to just persist, leave his food down for only a short while and then take it away if he won't touch it. That way he knows that it won't just be left out for him. He worries me sick sometimes.

Sammy
lols82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

You may want to try one of the fresh rolled foods that has more aroma and a moist consistency. My girls are very enthusiastic about Fresh Pet Vital salmon formula. They also go absolutely crazy for Fromm's Salmon Tunalini, which I add hot water to and let it soak so that it releases the aroma.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Briyanna
Dog's Name: Bacci
Confused Oh boy...

Oh I'm all too familiar with this. Bacci always sniffs, takes it into his mouth and spits it out. Then, he looks at me like he wants something to eat, but still spits it out. He goes through these phases, sometimes he will just gobble down whatever I give him, then there are days where he wont touch ANYTHING.

Now, have you tried boiling some chicken breast? If not, then try to boil some chicken breast and cut it up into small little peices. Mix it with some plain rice. If still no luck, take away the rice and see if your baby will eat just the chicken. No matter what "phase" Bacci is going through, he'll never turn down some boiled chicken! That is the ONLY thing I have found that he will not spit out no matter what!

Good luck & I hope you find what food your little baby will gobble down!!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: xewqa's mum
Dog's Name: Xewqa (Shew-ka)
Send a message via Skype™ to Xewqa's mum

My mothers recipe for her dogs (and have to say my friends recipe for her husband too), boil ground chuck, remove the fat from the top with a spoon, drain and add tin of vegetable soup, re heat, put into dishes and allow to cool, and there you have it, nutritious, delicious, and your doggies love it cos you cooked it specially for them. Mum did this for her 3 dogs, but you could fridge the leftover for another day - or serve with mash potato to your husband! lol
Xewqa's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Mine are all good eaters, so if one doesn't eat as much or not at all, I know something's wrong! My dogs love the Fresh Pet Vital also, I use it as a topper on their Fromm Kibble. It would concern me that Daisy isn't getting enough nutrition by not eating her dog food, as it is balanced with everything that she needs. Hope that you find something that she likes. What does she do if you pick up her food(that she doesn't eat) and don't give her anything until her next feeding?Unless there is a medical problem, I don't think a dog will starve itself to death.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Welcome to my world. Lucky seems to think that I am poisoning him. He will gobble up kibble the first few days after I open the bag. Then it is a struggle to get him to eat. I try and get him to eat 30-30 kibble bits each morning and then I give him scrabble eggs and veg. He will eat the eggs as long as I am not having home fries with it. If I have home fries, he will only eat the potatoes and completely ignore the eggs. You might try a little scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil - it is a good protein and has some vitamins and minerals in it.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement