HELP! Need Advice on Protein Ratio Dog Food for 18 Month NIKO with asymptomatic MVD - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Sissy

I wish I could advise you on protein percentage. I know that 28% is way too high for Riley. He does it well on the 19% THK that I feed him. As far as cottage cheese, I normally just get the regular cottage cheese. Maybe I should use low fat. I have and they don't know the difference.

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

Sherry -

You should stick with what is doing well. With Luck, he gets dairy with each of his meals and at night, and I am concerned too much fat will lead to pancreatitis. But Riley only gets a spoonful here and there.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Sissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Sherry -

You should stick with what is doing well. With Luck, he gets dairy with each of his meals and at night, and I am concerned too much fat will lead to pancreatitis. But Riley only gets a spoonful here and there.
Thanks Walter, I agree if it works, don't fix it!

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Honestly, the greatest majority of Maltese (and Yorkies) are asymptomatic MVD. They are undiagnosed because most people don't do full blood panels and protein C as young puppies. It makes diagnosing future health issues harder because the first thing a vet sees is a Maltese and elevated ALT's and AST;s and they only think of MVD or liver shunt. There are some great educational past posts on this topic. Do a search for asymptomatic MVD and learn from some very educated people who used to post here.

How high are his ALT's and AST's and BAT? If they are not alarmingly high and he's asymptomatic, there is no need for a special diet. Your vet is correct in what he is telling you. What Maggie mentioned is key. Lots of moisture is what is needed for healthy kidneys and to help the liver function properly. My Callie is asymptomatic MVD. She's been fed a frozen raw diet from the day I got her. Her blood work is perfect and always has been. The only reason I know is I did a protein C on her when she was spayed when she was a year old. Now if those liver values are high enough to cause some concern, that's a different story. But if they are just slightly elevated, honestly I would add moisture to his food or switch to a wet food and do a liver panel in 3-6 months. If it hasn't changed, keep on doing what you are doing. But I would do a liver panel a couple times a year until you and your vet are confident the liver levels are being maintained and not increasing.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Name: Jamie
Dog's Name: Niko Denali

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
Why do you want to use dry kibble? Dry food is actually harder for the kidneys and liver to process. If you think you want to use dry, make sure you allow it to soak in warm water for 10 minutes or so before feeding to make it more digestible and to make sure his little body has enough fluids to process the kibble.

What does your vet say about his weight? If you can feel the ribs but they feel like they have a thin layer of fat over them, then the weight is appropriate. If it feels like there is no fat, then he should gain a few ounces, and it you have to work at feeling ribs, then he needs to lose weight. My girls eat about 1/8 cup of food twice a day and Tessa who is a little bigger gets another tablespoon midday.

Yes, good advice, I always add some warm water to his dry kibble. I wait about 10 minutes or so and it is soft. He is not a big water drinker so I always add a little water to his food no matter what he eats (except cookies snacks of course). My vet didn't say anything about him being under weight. When he was at the vet he weighed 6 lb. 8 oz. It was a good weight then. It was only after we boarded him for a week did he lose a little weight.
Now he is gaining some ounces back since we have him back home and on his regular routine. I've been giving him a little extra food and that seems to be working. I know both his parents were around 6 lbs. so I think he is just going to be a small Maltese his whole life. His highest weight was 6 lb.8 oz. He is an active little boy too, loves running around playing. Feeling his ribs today I can feel a thin layer between his skin and bones. He could probably stand to gain a few more ounces.
NikoDenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Maggie, I'm glad you mentioned how hard it is to digest kibble, this is very true, for all breeds.
Also, once a bag of kibble is open, it must be used up within a month otherwise it loses its nutrients, as well as it grows all kinds of mold. Buying a smaller bag at a time would be wise. Storing in the freezer is an option and will help maintain its freshness, if you choose a kibble.

I've noticed you mention that ND eats quite a bit, like a big dog, yet hasn't maintained his weight. I think a pound is a lot of weight to lose in a week. That being said, if it continues, I would have some bloodwork done to see if he has a condition called PLE or EPI. These dogs do not digest the food properly and lose the nutrients needed in a diet, so they tend to waste. They have a hard time gaining or holding on to weight and always being hungry are symptoms.

Yes, he is an excellent eater. His weight had been maintained before our trip. The reason I think he lost weight was because he was boarded one week. I think he was more active and running around their 1.5 acres for a week. My pet sitter allows free roaming in the house and yard and I'm sure he burned off some weight keeping up with the other big and small dogs there. I will keep on eye on his weight. He has gained back a few ounces so far since being home. Niko has always been a great eater. Since we've had him at 9 weeks old he has always finished his food and is not picky at all. He likes all kinds of fruits, vegetables, dry food, wet food. I am very lucky in this respect. He easily eats 3/4 cup of food per day, plus a few afternoon training treats. He is a very active boy too during the day time. I was told when we got him that both his parents are free-fed dry food, they are both around 6 lbs. So I think my little guy is always going to be around that range too.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysmom View Post
Maggie, I'm glad you mentioned how hard it is to digest kibble, this is very true, for all breeds.
Also, once a bag of kibble is open, it must be used up within a month otherwise it loses its nutrients, as well as it grows all kinds of mold. Buying a smaller bag at a time would be wise. Storing in the freezer is an option and will help maintain its freshness, if you choose a kibble.

I've noticed you mention that ND eats quite a bit, like a big dog, yet hasn't maintained his weight. I think a pound is a lot of weight to lose in a week. That being said, if it continues, I would have some bloodwork done to see if he has a condition called PLE or EPI. These dogs do not digest the food properly and lose the nutrients needed in a diet, so they tend to waste. They have a hard time gaining or holding on to weight and always being hungry are symptoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal&Zoe View Post
Honestly, the greatest majority of Maltese (and Yorkies) are asymptomatic MVD. They are undiagnosed because most people don't do full blood panels and protein C as young puppies. It makes diagnosing future health issues harder because the first thing a vet sees is a Maltese and elevated ALT's and AST;s and they only think of MVD or liver shunt. There are some great educational past posts on this topic. Do a search for asymptomatic MVD and learn from some very educated people who used to post here.

How high are his ALT's and AST's and BAT? If they are not alarmingly high and he's asymptomatic, there is no need for a special diet. Your vet is correct in what he is telling you. What Maggie mentioned is key. Lots of moisture is what is needed for healthy kidneys and to help the liver function properly. My Callie is asymptomatic MVD. She's been fed a frozen raw diet from the day I got her. Her blood work is perfect and always has been. The only reason I know is I did a protein C on her when she was spayed when she was a year old. Now if those liver values are high enough to cause some concern, that's a different story. But if they are just slightly elevated, honestly I would add moisture to his food or switch to a wet food and do a liver panel in 3-6 months. If it hasn't changed, keep on doing what you are doing. But I would do a liver panel a couple times a year until you and your vet are confident the liver levels are being maintained and not increasing.

Hi Crystal,
Thank you for your advice. When tested in May 2017, 18 months old, his ALT number was 266 (normal range was (12-118). His Bile Acid Test results were 4 pre meal, 67 post meal. His Protein C test done came back at 79. Doctor told me it is high probability he has MVD. He does not show any signs of MVD. He eats well, very active, no ibs issues, or neuro issues. The vet did say we can recheck his liver enzymes in a year. I will probably not wait that long and bring him back in 6 months. There was no AST result listed on test chemistries results. Only his CBC numbers, and the CMP checked Total protein, Albumin, Globulin, A/G Ratio, ALK Phosphtase, Urea Nitrogen, Creatinine, Glucose, Potassium, BUN/Creatinine Ratio. Not sure why AST was not checked. I will ask for that number next time for sure. Any other chemistry I should be asking for to get a better picture of his liver status? His vet really didn't seem overly concerned.
I was the one kind of freaking out when I saw his liver ALT number. My vet said he has other Maltese that are the same as Niko, asymptomatic MVD. He said most live long healthy lives, did not recommend giving liver supplements or changing his diet. He said I could give him Denamarin if I wanted to, which I did start giving him. He said it wouldn't hurt to give him that. I am also changing his diet to Fromm dry kibble. I will add warm water to it, he isn't a big water drinker, so I've always added some extra water to all his food whether it be wet or dry.
My vet seems like a very competent vet, very compassionate, and takes a lot of time with us when we are there. He was familiar with liver shunts and MVD, so I was pleased with that. I am Niko's best advocate, so I continue to learn all I can about MVD, I will be researching this more on the site too. I really value everyone's opinions and advice very much. This is all new to us in the past 2 months but I have learned a lot in a short time thanks to this great forum.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Aviannah - We call her Avi or Avia

I am so sorry for you and your family having to go through such a tragic loss! My sincere sympathy for all of you. It looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice for how to help Niko Denali. Hopefully he is feeling better soon!
Aviannah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviannah's Mom View Post
I am so sorry for you and your family having to go through such a tragic loss! My sincere sympathy for all of you. It looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice for how to help Niko Denali. Hopefully he is feeling better soon!
Thank you very much. You are very kind. Yes, difficult days, but we have great faith in God to get us through anything and everything that comes our way.

Niko Denali is feeling better. He is a super cute boy, he loves his new treats made by Grandma Lucy, Blueberry little cookies. We got these today for him. He was so excited to see the bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement