Question about Puppy Mills, BYB, etc...not sure if right spot... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake
Question Question about Puppy Mills, BYB, etc...not sure if right spot...

Probably no one can really answer this question for me, since none of us here are evil people, but I just cannot wrap my mind around how anyone could not only let, but keep, an animal in the condition that many of these puppy mill breeding dogs are in.
Also, I know BYB are not much better, but with what very little experience I've had with them, it seems like quite a few of them are just clueless people who indiscriminately breed their dogs (pets)... like a lot of them just don't know any better. They're not the evil "greeders" like the puppy mill people are, and actually take care of their dogs needs. Please someone set me straight if I'm off on that. Like I said, my opinion on BYBs is based on my limited experiences with them (also before I knew what they were/are).

But again, my main question is how in the **** can someone with even an iota of a heart let any animal get in & remain in the kinds of conditions we see with these puppy mills? I just don't get it (and I'm kind of glad I can't think like that, even if it is solely for the purpose of comprehension)

Thanks, because it really disturbs me on a level very few things do.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Everyone has different moral standards around this. Some people ask how in the world can someone eat those cute cows and pigs? How could you be so heartless etc. The answer is they(we) don't care. Everyone just has a different threshold of not caring.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ugh...I responded & then my computer got possessed...

What I basically said was that while I can understand some of the parallel between what you said about vegetarianism & puppy mills, I still feel that all animals should be treated with kindness & dignity. Even animals raised for food should be raised humanely & when they are killed (no other way to put it), it should be as quickly & painless as possible. But that's a discussion for another time, another place. But I get where you are coming from. Believe me, if I didn't hate veggies so much (it's sad, I know), I would be all for going vegetarian. I have a lot of guilt about eating meat and I do sometimes feel a bit hypocritical...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

It's like people who operate puppy mills, have no conscience. Can't they see the pain and anguish these dog's are in? The almighty dollar is way more important!! Is it me, or does it seem, from the pictures and videos of puppy mills, the operators seem like uneducated, Dregs of society??

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
It's like people who operate puppy mills, have no conscience. Can't they see the pain and anguish these dog's are in? The almighty dollar is way more important!! Is it me, or does it seem, from the pictures and videos of puppy mills, the operators seem like uneducated, Dregs of society??
Yes, clearly these mill owners worship the almighty dollar, at the expense of these poor dogs. But how does one get to the point that they see those dogs (every day, at that) & just continue to let the situation continue on like that? I just don't understand how they can reconcile the treatment of the way they treat their dogs with a clear conscience. How can they look at themselves in the mirror & feel good about the person looking back? I don't expect anyone to be able to answer this. I'm just more or less venting my sadness & frustration at this point. I just can't imagine these people are decent in any aspect of their life, honestly. Maybe I'm being harsh & judgemental but I really don't care to cut any slack to these vile types of people.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Girl View Post
Ugh...I responded & then my computer got possessed...

What I basically said was that while I can understand some of the parallel between what you said about vegetarianism & puppy mills, I still feel that all animals should be treated with kindness & dignity. Even animals raised for food should be raised humanely & when they are killed (no other way to put it), it should be as quickly & painless as possible. But that's a discussion for another time, another place. But I get where you are coming from. Believe me, if I didn't hate veggies so much (it's sad, I know), I would be all for going vegetarian. I have a lot of guilt about eating meat and I do sometimes feel a bit hypocritical...
Full disclaimer, I am a meat eater myself.

I am not saying the two things are comparable, but just that different people have different standards around these things. You(proverbial) think it's ok to eat meat as long as they were treated right while alive, my vegan friends think it's as horrific as treating animals badly, these breeders think it's fine to treat them the way they do for profit.

Everyone has a conscience(excludes psychopaths), but it doesn't mean the same thing to all. Some people think it's ok to lie, some people don't. Some people even think it's ok to euthanize, some don't. Eventually, a society keeps moving towards an accepted norm and we make laws around it so everyone moves in that direction. Then those laws get outdated and we revise. There's been plenty of non sensical cruel stuff that was required by law in history.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Jojo, I was a vegetarian for many years because of my love for animals. But now I don't feel well unless I eat some meat. So, I have found the most humane companies from which to buy my food. I only eat pasture raised organic eggs from Vital Farms, and for meat, I only buy from a select few companies, including Applegate Farms, which is humane and organic. I spend a small fortune on groceries, but it is well worth it to know that I'm eating clean, humanely raised food.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
Jojo, I was a vegetarian for many years because of my love for animals. But now I don't feel well unless I eat some meat. So, I have found the most humane companies from which to buy my food. I only eat pasture raised organic eggs from Vital Farms, and for meat, I only buy from a select few companies, including Applegate Farms, which is humane and organic. I spend a small fortune on groceries, but it is well worth it to know that I'm eating clean, humanely raised food.

I try to buy humanely raised too, but, unfortunately I'm not always able. Like you said, it is a small fortune, so I can't always do it, but when I can, I do. Not only does it make me feel better, but it tastes better, & I love that I'm not ingesting a bunch of hormones & god only knows what else that they put in there that we don't know about! I will look for the brands you mentioned. Thanks!