I Have a Question-- - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default I Have a Question--

I was thinking about this last night when I went to bed and I was wide awake most of the night.

Why can't our furbabies have a longer life span? We have so many wonderful foods today are so nutritionally balanced, amazing vets, new procedures, meds, vitamins, etc. We take care of them like we do our children. There are some parrots that live 60+ years, turtles that are supposed to be a hundred years old--why, in theory, can't our furbabies live longer??
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default I Have a Question--

I'm not sure if it's a rhetorical question so forgive me if so. If you're really asking, different species have different rates of growth and decay, hence different life span. You can push it with medical advancements, but you can't change nature.

Like the avg life span for humans has increased in the past few decades. But that means pushing it to 90 instead of 80. You cannot push it to 200, atleast not with where science stands now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

No, no rhetorical question. It's just wishful thinking on my part I guess. I just love my furbabies SO much. I have had and loved many dogs in my lifetime, but when I was fortunate enough to rescue a precious Malt, it was almost like magic. I can forget/pretend that these are my real children. They are so loving, so sweet and caring--they just have so many of the qualities that some human people have --I am as important to Daisy as she is to me. I have never felt that with any other breed of dog. I just wish that I could have her with me for MANY years to come. She is only 3, but I know that day will come. I'm not depresses or anything like that. I am going to love her every day, every minute and every second for all long as God sees fit for me to be with her. I am so BLESSED to be loved by that little bundle of fluff
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
No, no rhetorical question. It's just wishful thinking on my part I guess. I just love my furbabies SO much. I have had and loved many dogs in my lifetime, but when I was fortunate enough to rescue a precious Malt, it was almost like magic. I can forget/pretend that these are my real children. They are so loving, so sweet and caring--they just have so many of the qualities that some human people have --I am as important to Daisy as she is to me. I have never felt that with any other breed of dog. I just wish that I could have her with me for MANY years to come. She is only 3, but I know that day will come. I'm not depresses or anything like that. I am going to love her every day, every minute and every second for all long as God sees fit for me to be with her. I am so BLESSED to be loved by that little bundle of fluff
I Know what you mean Nickee********
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy's Mommie View Post
I know what you mean !!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Max, Buddy and Bunnie; Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

I know what you mean too.
It is like when you love someone deeply, but without any complications or arguments ever.
Just pure true deep unconditional love.
We are all very lucky!

Daisy and Max
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I do not know about any of you and how you feel, but whenever we have gotten a new Puppy, I really never even give it a thought that someday (hopefully later than sooner) that Puppy will be old and not with us anymore. And some breeds of Dogs have a tendency to have a longer life span than others.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Kimberly
Dog's Name: Bella & Bailey

When yall say "rescue" do u mean u went to a shelter and picked one out from there rather than buying one from a breeder? Sorry if i sound stupid.
little+bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hannah
Dog's Name: Madeleine "Maddie"

Oh I understand what you mean!

I remember when Maddie was around 12 weeks and driving somewhere with my boyfriend and I started balling because I knew that I was only go to have for a short period out of my whole life. I kind of hate her birthday because I can't stand to see her get older. Even though she is only 4 I can see how much she has changed from that little pup.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by little+bella View Post
When yall say "rescue" do u mean u went to a shelter and picked one out from there rather than buying one from a breeder? Sorry if i sound stupid.
We typically use the word "rescue" to refer to a fluff who is being adopted from a rescue organization. Rescues get dogs from many sources - owner surrender, shelter, found as stray, etc. - and take care of any medical needs the fluff may have. They also raise the fluff in a foster home so they continue to be socialized and trained.

My Tessa is a rescued dog; she was picked up by Milwaukee police as a stray and spent a week in the animal shelter. When no one claimed her, she was taken from the shelter by Northcentral Maltese Rescue and I adopted her from there.
Advertisement