Anne of Green Gables - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Falcon aka Mowgli
Default Anne of Green Gables

My kindle was charging and the cord isn't long enough to reach a sitting area (bed..couch..chair..lol) so I was looking on my phone app for things to read.

I have an app called ''Play books'' It has a lot of free books to read. Mainly ones that have fallen out of copy write..so usually OLDER.

I'm always reading TWO books. My boyfriend loves to read but would rather play videos games. So I read one book to myself and one book out loud to him usually at the same time. So while he isn't home I read mine and while he is I read aloud to him.

I started reading Anne of Green Gables out loud to him as a joke. I'd seen the PBS Canada show a million times when I was little. I like it. Reading it....100 times better. I'd seen the show so much I was able to copy her breathy exclamations and capture the seriousness of her poetical tirades!

I will say there is A LOT of long descriptive scenes of the outdoors. That was part of the magic for me though... nowadays when people don't notice cherry blossoms and sweeping rivers and quiet groves anymore.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!! If you intend on ever reading this and haven't seen the TV movies or read the books. READ no further....otherwise read on.

Matthew dies at the end of the first book. Matthew...her kind quiet caretaker (who shares custody of this orphan Anne girl with Matthew) they hinted at it. I was always heartbroken when he died in the show but...in the book I couldn't get through it!!!!!! I was bawling so hard my boyfriend read through that part for us and I was then composed enough to read to the end.

I borrowed the movies from my mother. So after I finished it we watched the first movie. I'll read the second one and then we'll watch the third and then the forth! So good.

Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to.
Joe Gores
Michie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melissa Martinez
Dog's Name: Paislee and Rustee Wallace

I LOOOOOVE Anne of green gables!! I always cry like such a fool in books! And movies as well but for some reason books is so Much worse
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

I remember watching that series on PBS. It seems like a million years ago. Funny thing -- I do remember when Matthew died. They should bring back more series like that and take off some of the junk that is on TV now.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Missy* View Post
I LOOOOOVE Anne of green gables!! I always cry like such a fool in books! And movies as well but for some reason books is so Much worse
I do too! I cry and cry like I grew up with the freaking people. I don't think I have ever cried at a movie though. Too short? Same story almost word for word but...who knows. My little brother always cries when he sees Bambi even if it is with my cousins kids! Heh. My little brother is a 25 year old tough guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltese#1fan View Post
I remember watching that series on PBS. It seems like a million years ago. Funny thing -- I do remember when Matthew died. They should bring back more series like that and take off some of the junk that is on TV now.
I agree! No fighting.. no more yelling! Just plain old adventure and storytelling! I loved that jim hensen storyteller show... what was that called. Oh pfft...I just looked it up. It was called ''The Storyteller'' I wish they hadn't cancelled that. It was kind of like Fairy Tale Theater with Shelly Devall but.. better. LOL.

I guess I like some shows that are around now....like Downton Abbey!!!!!!!! Addicted

Joe Gores
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Harley

I loved both the books and the series. Thank you for bringing it up, I haven't re-read it recently. I'll add it to the stack.

There have been a few movie versions but, the PBS series is the superior one. The casting was fabulous! I vaguely remember the cinematography winning a few awards. I think Disney did a TV series that took place in Avonlea and used a few of the minor characters.
ThatBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBrunette View Post
I loved both the books and the series. Thank you for bringing it up, I haven't re-read it recently. I'll add it to the stack.

There have been a few movie versions but, the PBS series is the superior one. The casting was fabulous! I vaguely remember the cinematography winning a few awards. I think Disney did a TV series that took place in Avonlea and used a few of the minor characters.

Oh yes...I think I remember something like that. At least I remember a cartoon in Avonlea where Anne was a cartoon and looked something like a Pippi Longstocking character. lol.

Joe Gores
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh... I watched that with my children when they were little . I loved it.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I was watching Anne of Green Gables last week on TV - I loved the role of Mirella played by Colleen Dewhurst ( I think that is her name) - I've been to Green Gables on PEI as well....it was way back when and at the time the show was more popular so it was kinda fun to see where Anne 'lived'.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Duggy & Pappy (FKA: Pike)

I loved the PBS series so much I had to buy the soundtrack and never get tired of listening to it.

And Duggy's middle name is Anne --- spelled with an "e" of course!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Oh... I watched that with my children when they were little . I loved it.
My mother bought it a few years ago. All three dvds. I just borrowed them from her. We've watched the first one already. Once I read the second book we'll watch the second movie. They are almost word for word! Especially her speeches. LOVE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglily View Post
I was watching Anne of Green Gables last week on TV - I loved the role of Mirella played by Colleen Dewhurst ( I think that is her name) - I've been to Green Gables on PEI as well....it was way back when and at the time the show was more popular so it was kinda fun to see where Anne 'lived'.
Great casting! Mirella was just enough stern and just enough humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziLee View Post
I loved the PBS series so much I had to buy the soundtrack and never get tired of listening to it.

And Duggy's middle name is Anne --- spelled with an "e" of course!
There is a soundtrack??? I'm going to have to look that up. I don't even remember what it sounds like but I'm a sucker for soundtracks. I still listen to the Avatar and Memoirs of a Geisha soundtracks.

Joe Gores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement