Do you feel obligate to suffer through a book you don't enjoy? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Default Do you feel obligate to suffer through a book you don't enjoy?

I know I have. For a while I was interested in Hot, flat and crowded, but it was just so much wanking, that I got sick and had to stop.And I did stop reading. But there is some built in mechanism that kicks in to prevent me from putting down the most mundane of books? I actually bought One Fifth Avenue and read the entire piece of crap, just because. What a bloody waste of time. Is there some kind of unwritten law that says, just because you paid twelve dollars for a worthless piece of crap...you should blunder through it?

What do you do when you buy a book or kindle book and realize that it is a piece of garbage that did not deserve to be published? I'm just curious.
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hannah
Dog's Name: Madeleine "Maddie"

I usually just reading the ending if it's a fiction book just so I feel like I got my money's worth. If I really don't like it I'll either donate it or give it to a friend.
Madeleinesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I love to read and I usually make myself suffer through. I usually buy books based on reviews or recommendations from friends who have similar taste in books.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I could not sit and read a book I didn't enjoy reading....how do you do it? If something doesn't capture my attention shortly after starting I cannot read it. I have quite a few books I started and didn't finish.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Audrey DeLay
Dog's Name: Jasmine (Female)

If i can't get into a good book I either give it back or put it away to be sold later. I do try though to read it, but sometimes I just can't get into the book!!!

dntdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeleinesmommy View Post
I usually just reading the ending if it's a fiction book just so I feel like I got my money's worth. If I really don't like it I'll either donate it or give it to a friend.
ha ha...you hated the book so you give it to a friend? Well, maybe they might like it, but at least it is free. Now, I seriously think that giving a book you really love to a friend is way more than the gift of the book. But, then, maybe they won't be overwhelmed. This is uncharted territory. What dreams may come when we have shuffled of this mortal coil, must give us pause. There is the calamity that....oh, crap, there I go quoting Shakespear again.

Back to subject at hand...aren't Maltese dogs the sweetest creatures ever?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

I only read works by 2 authors--John Grisham and Nicholas Sparks. I think I have everything Grisham ever wrote and have just recently started reading Sparks. I keep my books for ever because I am always going back and re-reading them!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
ha ha...you hated the book so you give it to a friend? Well, maybe they might like it, but at least it is free. Now, I seriously think that giving a book you really love to a friend is way more than the gift of the book. But, then, maybe they won't be overwhelmed. This is uncharted territory. What dreams may come when we have shuffled of this mortal coil, must give us pause. There is the calamity that....oh, crap, there I go quoting Shakespear again.

Back to subject at hand...aren't Maltese dogs the sweetest creatures ever?
Perhaps one should remember what one wrote about poor Ru ... poor baby.

I say take a shovel and bury the book instead.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Perhaps one should remember what one wrote about poor Ru ... poor baby.

I say take a shovel and bury the book instead.
Oh my goodness Marie, you read that weak moment and you are going to hold me to it....forever?

Dear little Ru is lapping up water beside me right now. It seems she has been ancient forever. Honestly, I do love her. I do take really good care of her...there are just those moments. I joke about it. Alan and I joke about it...but our baby Ru is our baby Ru. Kidding aside, I love the sweet old gal.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Oh my goodness Marie, you read that weak moment and you are going to hold me to it....forever?

Dear little Ru is lapping up water beside me right now. It seems she has been ancient forever. Honestly, I do love her. I do take really good care of her...there are just those moments. I joke about it. Alan and I joke about it...but our baby Ru is our baby Ru. Kidding aside, I love the sweet old gal.
Nah ... I know you love Ru. So, I won't hold you to it forever. The hold has passed. We all have our weak moments. I seem to have a lot of them lately. Well, not in regard to my Snowball though ... he can do no wrong. Felix gets to experience most of my weak moments.

I love you, Sylvia. But, hey ... don't waste your time reading books you hate. Really. You can read all the interesting threads on SM!

I doubt you read books on Kindle. Otherwise, I would tell you just to delete the ones you don't like! Life is way too short to waste time feeling as though you need to finish a book you hate.

If you bought a hardback book ... well, maybe if you bury it ... it will grow back into a tree one day! LOL